Who Do You Turn To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Do You Turn To

Ok so my wife and I were talking the other night, and she matter of factly stated that we should get rid of our 11 week old puppy, because when she doesn't listen to me I put her on the ground hard. I was shocked and didn't know what to say (looked at wife like monkey doing math). Wife then informed me that I have some anger managment issues and I should really talk to someone.

Fortunatly I have great friends and a job that takes care of its employees so I called our E.A.P. and made an appointment. Im not trying to say that Im better than anyone or that I am weak but when you need help ask for it. The job is too stressful to think that you can handle things yourself.

So I guess my question is does every company offer Employee Assistance programs, CISM/D.

When I was in the Fd they offered us counseling after bad calls, and that was it, but do companies actively try to help. This was just an issue I have been thinking on for a couple of days and was wondering aside of some of the folks here that I would pm and say "HEY I NEED HELP" who would you turn too?
    Thanks for the input

I usually turn to my Mom, she's good at levelling me out.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Kudos

Originally posted by ctbgpo
      Ok so my wife and I were talking the other night, and she matter of factly stated that we should get rid of our 11 week old puppy, because when she doesn't listen to me I put her on the ground hard. I was shocked and didn't know what to say (looked at wife like monkey doing math). Wife then informed me that I have some anger managment issues and I should really talk to someone.

Fortunatly I have great friends and a job that takes care of its employees so I called our E.A.P. and made an appointment. Im not trying to say that Im better than anyone or that I am weak but when you need help ask for it. The job is too stressful to think that you can handle things yourself.

So I guess my question is does every company offer Employee Assistance programs, CISM/D.

When I was in the Fd they offered us counseling after bad calls, and that was it, but do companies actively try to help. This was just an issue I have been thinking on for a couple of days and was wondering aside of some of the folks here that I would pm and say "HEY I NEED HELP" who would you turn too?
      Thanks for the input
      Your lucky to have a wife that knows you better than you know yourself. It sounds like making the appointment shows you are smart enough to take care of yorself, and it also shows your level of trust in what she says.

You are also lucky to have at your access an EAP. I have never had an employer who had one planned or even one up and running. It was always one of those deal with it things. I have had a few supervisors who were smart enough to recognize things and we would go and have coffee and a smoke. But that was the extent of any counselling.

The days of dealing with personal issues, IMHO, are gone. If you want healthy productive employees take care of them.

I say take advantage of the EAP.

If you need anything else, or an ear to bend or shoulder to lean on PM me...
      ~Super Ninja Sniper~
      Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

I appreciate it.
        Be safe!

Comment

PM sent, check your mail
          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Very interesting.. This is an area in which I should check into getting for my staff.. This is as important as any other area, and a need that would probably be met with great results! Good thought!
            Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by ctbgpo

Thanks for the input
              My experience is nope, you have to get the help yourself. No one knows what the suicide rates for private security officers are, no one keeps track. When a officer flips out and goes on a rampage killing others they chalk it up to someone hired who was unsuitable. If others are telling you that you seem to have some problem, it's pretty safe to say you just might especially if they live with you. Anger management issues should be addressed, for your own well being and others safety.

Comment

Unfortunately, not every company offers Employee Assistance Programs. They should, however, because EAP is part of preventative maintenance that insurance companies (employee benefits providers) like to see, before it turns into something that will cost them lots of money in payouts.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Luckily my Lady is very supportive of me and when I'm having a bad time of it she's the one I lean on to get through. Additionally it's known that petting an dog or cat lowers blood pressure and releives stress. I used to just relax by holding my cat on my chest and petting him while he purred and nuzzled my arm. Just close my eyes, pet the cat and relax. It'd do this before going to work or after a really crappy shift. It always helped to sooth me.
                  Sadly, our cat succumbed to old age and cancer a week ago today. It's been pretty sad around here without him and we are still pretty emotional about it. My Lady was crying this morning when she realized it was a week ago to the hour that we were holding him as the vet put him to sleep.
                  I hope you find the help you need. The anger and stress will eventually build up and manafest as medical problems such as high blood pressure. Take care of yourself.
                  Last edited by EMTGuard; 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM. Reason: correct spelling
                  Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Good job in seeking help! That makes you strong, not weak.

I just got back from working out. Was it to be faster in chasing down people? Nope. So I would look good on the beach this summer? Nope. I do it for my mental health. It releases anxiety and stress and makes it easier to cope with the troubles that can get us down.

I know that when my temper starts getting short, especially around those who I am close to, it is time to remove myself from the situation as best I can. Whether I go on-line, go for a country drive, or go work out, it doesn't matter. The important thing is that I find an appropriate outlet to vent my frustration.

I am lucky that my employer has a EAP and I have insurance that covers things like therapy.

You are not alone with anger management issues. A lot people have them. And a lot of people are in the used to have them category because they had the smarts to get some help.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                      Sadly, our cat succumbed to old age and cancer a week ago today. It's been pretty sad around here without him and we are still pretty emotional about it. My Lady was crying this morning when she realized it was a week ago to the hour that we were holding him as the vet put him to sleep.
                      It's really almost ridiculously wrenching to lose a pet. You think "My God, they're an animal, not a child!" Not so. My three dogs are all dearly beloved companions, all of them rescues. They're moving along in age and I've recently been thinking about the inevitable future without them. Worse, I've been thinking about what the ones left behind will go through as their numbers dwindle to two, and then to one. They're very close to one another as well as to us, and you can't explain where their buds have gone, or make it better for them. What must they think when suddenly one of their "pack" disappears forever? I know from experience when one was in the hospital for a few days how anxiously the other two searched for her until she returned home.

People say "get another dog"...but I'm pretty sure that by the time I go through the three losses I'll not be in any shape for that again, maybe ever.
                      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Stress

For me I get out my iguana. Big lizards for me is relaxing...cause I enjoy being around the big baby. WEll raised him from a hatchling so he is just a big pet. Well to people anyway he hates other animals and has demonstrated it by attacking my sisters cat once..but that was just because the cat kept bugging him. Other then that my movie collection or a good video game soothes me...no signifigant other as my first wife passed away and my second wife is just evil incarnate. No programs I know of or can afford to help me so I just relax the best I can.

Comment

A fit of anger is extremely harmful to ones health. Studies have shown that the damage to the cardiovascular system continues several hours after you calm down. When you are angry, hormones are released into the bloodstream resulting in high blood pressure, fast heart rate, and damage to the walls of the coronary arteries, making it easier for fatty deposits to adhere to the walls. Basically, it's like taking poison and waiting for the other person to get sick.
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X