Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T202
    • Apr 2006

Firearm Training

Question for you guys that work armed security. Before you work armed are you required to shoot a qualification course? If so, what type of course do you shoot bulls eye or a combat type course. How often do you have to qualify?
  • Chucky
    • Jan 2007

I had Bulls Eye for permit test. I used 5 different pistols that the instructor brought with him. 22 cal to 357 mag. I love the smell of gun powder but he used reloads and the smell of that powder made me sick. No pressure to do good mostly rated on stance,form and how you handled the guns. Like between clips etc. As he stated in a real shoot out the sights will be useless as you will be looking at what the perp is doing not down the sights.

He stated the case of the Kehoe brothers that were stopped by a couple troopers and 2 of them , a trooper and a supremacist emptied at mag each at approx 20 ft apart and never hit each other.
    Unlike the PD we do not need to requalifiy twice a year only every 5 years in my state.
    Last edited by Chucky; 01-22-2007, 09:32 PM.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
      • Aug 2005

Only once per five years? Wow. Florida uses a multiple-target bulls eye course. No shooting from cover, but you'll fire two rounds at target #1, fire two rounds at #2, then cover both in X seconds. Things like that.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• Chucky
        • Jan 2007

Three thoughts on that is #1 they feel that Armed Security will never fire a shot.

Or #2 all the guys I know that have concealed class A licensees also have an affiliation with a gun club and shoot regularly as a hobbie and if you don't you will get a heavily restricted class C Non Concealed. I would estimate that many cops only fire the weapons to stay qualified for the pay check.

Or #3 would be that the cops don't care or know what armed security does and the politicians here can't see a profit in regulating the on going training of private cops once they collect our initial licence fees.

I try to keep sharp at the range for my own safety and prefer to save my ass my way and not by some gomers list of how tos.
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

• Special Investigator
          • Oct 2006

In Wisconsin your required to have a minimum of 35 hours classroom and range by a state approved & certified instructor. Every year you are required to have a minimum of 6 hours additional re-certification.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

• globalinstincts
            • Jan 2007

In Ca...
            It's 50 rnds at a sillouette target at various ranges, a few in kneeling position and a few with non dominant hand. Keep most (85% I think) of them in the black and your in!

Then you send away application and money, and the state takes up to 6 months to approve it. They get RIGHT on it...

EDIT: Oh Yeah... Permit is good for 2 years, must requalify 4 times in that time (proof of those qualifications are sent in with your renewal application for the next 2 years).
            Last edited by globalinstincts; 01-23-2007, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• GCMC Security
              • Mar 2006

When I was in MI we had to qualify with whatever we carried. BUT not sure if that was company or state as MI doesn't have a license for armed security...or unarmed.

Comment

• SEO_09
                • Nov 2005

In Virginia I had to qualify with whatever I carried, a 9mm. You can qualify with multible calibers. The course takes 14 hours minimum. There is also the range qualification, which consists of low light shoot, strong hand, weak hand, and standing and kneeling. The target is the federal q silouette. It takes 90 rounds to qual.
                Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

• T202
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                  When I was in MI we had to qualify with whatever we carried. BUT not sure if that was company or state as MI doesn't have a license for armed security...or unarmed.
                  I believe it would be your company. The only law in Michigan I could find relates to Private Security Police. The have to have refresher training every year first aid, firearms ect ect. A Private Security Guard only has to meet the requirements for a Concealed Pistol License.

Comment

• GCMC Security
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by T202
                    I believe it would be your company. The only law in Michigan I could find relates to Private Security Police. The have to have refresher training every year first aid, firearms ect ect. A Private Security Guard only has to meet the requirements for a Concealed Pistol License.
                    You only have to have a CPL if you work out of a vehicle. Our guys who were at fixed posts (ie the theater we did) did not have to have one. I was a patrol driver so I had one.

Comment

• T202
                      • Apr 2006

You only have to have a CPL if you work out of a vehicle. Our guys who were at fixed posts (ie the theater we did) did not have to have one. I was a patrol driver so I had one.
                      You're right, open carry. But how did they get to their post with their gun, carry in the trunk?
                      (Wasn't on Bridge St, was it?)

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                        • Aug 2005

You're right, open carry. But how did they get to their post with their gun, carry in the trunk?
                        Why not? Florida requires an armed security guard to trunk the weapon or have a citizen CCW when going to or from work. Can only strap it on openly on post.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• GCMC Security
                          • Mar 2006

No it was on 28th St Grand Rapids, but it's shut down now. And yes you trunked it. That is the reason a lot of officers got their CPL so they didn't have to trunk it on the way home.

Nathan, in FL if you have a CCW can you carry it home in your vehicle? I know CCW has nothing to do with while you are on duty.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                            • Aug 2005

No it was on 28th St Grand Rapids, but it's shut down now. And yes you trunked it. That is the reason a lot of officers got their CPL so they didn't have to trunk it on the way home.

Nathan, in FL if you have a CCW can you carry it home in your vehicle? I know CCW has nothing to do with while you are on duty.
                            Yes, put something over your security shirt and carry the gun concealed, you're not on duty and your CCW applies then.

As I've said:

Get out of house, put .38 in holster, cover it and your shirt and patches.
                            Go into 7-11, keep it concealed.
                            Get on post, remove jacket, expose patches and firearm, you are now on your G license.
                            Put jacket on, cover gun, leave post for lunch (if you're lucky), you are now on your CCW.
                            Come back, take jacket off, uncover gun, you are on your G license.
                            Put jacket back on, drive home on your CCW.
                            Take jacket off in your yard, as you're home and open carry on grounds of your home or business is legal.

Comment

• security32
                              • Jan 2007

firearm training

wow, guys didn't realise you are from around the world here in australia we have to do course every year now even though you have a 3 year licence training is theory and then practical close in stuff no sites and alot to do with gun cotrol and use of force and as per usual we the gaurd have to fork out the money to pay for the lot.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...