Approved lights???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approved lights???

I don't know if this subject has been discussed here before or not, but what lights are you allowed to use in your state?

Here, in Oregon, we only allowed to use amber. I would like to be able to use amber/clear to the front and red/amber to the rear. I feel that would give more of a definite statement, of "Look! I am sitting along the road DON"T HIT ME!" I guess the trade off is that the state sees us as Public Warning Vehicles and allows the use on the streets, just don't go breaking any traffic laws...

So what do you use?

Again, sorry if I am dragging up a dead horse.
    ~Super Ninja Sniper~
    Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Hey there!

Actually yes, this topic has been covered quite a few times, but that's ok.

The majority of my security experience actually comes from Oregon.. I've only been up here in Washington for about 2 years now. It's funny, isn't it, that the state traffic code specifically states that vehicles may only have flashing lights on a vehicle, if they are white or amber in the front, and amber or red in the rear? Yet the vast majority of municipal PDs will tell security to strictly use amber/white all around... So they would prefer you use white to the rear (illegal!?) rather than red... Go figure..

On the flip side to that, however, there are a lot of security agencies in the Portland area that DO use amber/white in the front, and amber/red in the rear. They've been given dirty looks from time to time, but that's about it, because the PDs know that they can't issue a citation for something that's ADHERING to the state codes... (As much as they might WANT to.. lol)

It all comes down to where you are locally, and what your PD will allow you to get away with... If you switch to the red in back, even though they can't technically hit you for it, if they're pissy enough they can always find other ways... So I would recommend not pushing your luck too much.
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

In IL....

Yellow for security

Red/Blue for EMERGENCY vehicles

Comment

Bridge,

Appreciate your enthusiasism (or however you spell it LOL), but I think I may have gotten you a little bit mixed up. Oregon ONLY allows amber, period, that's it. I would LIKE to be able to run with amber/clear to the front and red/amber to the rear. After all, freakin tow trucks get to LMAO

Where in Oregon did you work/for? A pm will suffice...
        ~Super Ninja Sniper~
        Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Comment

Oops! When I said 'run with' I didn't mean literally go screamin down the avenue with them on, I just meant use. Just don't want to come off like an a$$ and not even be at 10 posts, yet.

Bridge, is correct it totally depends were you are at, I have heard horror stories of Gresham PD cops tearing lightbars off cars! (you can do a LOT with a Leatherman) Yet down here in Southern Oregon, I have been on felony car stops with the cops here. Odd, as that has NEVER happened to me as a s/o. So, location, location, location, doesn't only apply to real estate anymore
          ~Super Ninja Sniper~
          Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Comment

Originally posted by styguy531
            In IL....

Yellow for security

Red/Blue for EMERGENCY vehicles
            Actually... I've seen several Valor Security vehicles operating red/red on private property. Your state vehicle code doesn't seem to be enforceable on private property, anymore than Wisconsin's is.

In Wisconsin, you can run any color except blue on private property. You can't possess a blue light, which the only reason you can't have it on while on private property.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Pennsylvania
              • Red: Emergency vehicles & Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
              • Blue: Ambulance personnel, owners and handlers of dogs used in tracking humans, and volunteer firefighters
              • Red-and-Blue: Police, sheriff, coroner, medical examiner or fire police
              • Yellow or amber: Authorized vehicles (I could not find a definition of authorized vehicles, however the vehicles I have seen with amber lights on them in PA are: DOT, telephone, electric and cable companies, tow trucks, mail carriers, parking authority, snow plows, and security.)

Now it states only white, clear, red, blue, amber or yellow are the only colors permitted. I have seen at one shopping center the security use green lights.
              DizZy SO

Comment

Out here in Colorado:

Amber and Amber / White: Utility, security, operations vehicles

Red and Red / White: Fire, EMS, First Responder, Security w/ first responder

Blue and Red: LE, Tow,

Blue and Amber: DOT Highway service
                Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Bridge, is correct it totally depends were you are at, I have heard horror stories of Gresham PD cops tearing lightbars off cars! (you can do a LOT with a Leatherman) Yet down here in Southern Oregon, I have been on felony car stops with the cops here. Odd, as that has NEVER happened to me as a s/o. So, location, location, location, doesn't only apply to real estate anymore
                  Wow... So Gresham's 'hospitality' is even well known down in Southern OR eh? Doesn't surprise me. They're the reason most patrol companies in Portland have gone to the slicktop look...

And FYI - OR vehicle code specifically states that vehicles may ONLY have flashing lights on the rear of a vehicle, if they are amber or red. Otherwise the red turn signals on half the vehicles out there would be illegal.
                  Also, the vehicle code doesn't apply on private property. If you're doing patrol services, where you're driving around on public roads, it's best to stick to the amber (or mostly amber, anyway).. But if you're on a large site, with fueling capabilities, and your vehicle never leaves private property.. TECHNICALLY you can run whatever color you dang well feel like. Just don't be surprised when the locals get upset at you for running red & blue.. lol
                  Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

Comment

We actually have our lightbars in the exact configuration you speak of (amber/clear to the front, red/amber to the rear).
                    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Ct

Amber for security. Believe it or not, some people will pull over for amber. It happened to me and I actually felt embarrassed. I try not to use the lights on the road around the site unless I have to.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Hey, fellow michiganians here may know better, but I think the break down here is:

Red: EMT, Fire and authorized Security with emegency (i.e.) first responder) duties.

Amber: Usually Tow and most Security vehicles.

Red/Blue: Law Enforcement

As an aside notice, I don't the particulars of how Security agencies can get the red lights other paying a fee. I also don't know if it is our State Police who issues the license (permit?). Anybody know who controls our industries's light bars here in Michigan?

Comment

Originally posted by EH126
                          Hey, fellow michiganians here may know better, but I think the break down here is:

Red: EMT, Fire and authorized Security with emegency (i.e.) first responder) duties.

Amber: Usually Tow and most Security vehicles.

Red/Blue: Law Enforcement

As an aside notice, I don't the particulars of how Security agencies can get the red lights other paying a fee. I also don't know if it is our State Police who issues the license (permit?). Anybody know who controls our industries's light bars here in Michigan?
                          Here is the run down on lights in Michigan. What you can and can't have is all in the Motor Vehicle Code.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/af...ing_8570_7.pdf

Comment

I have noticed that a lot of contractors and folks that get off on flashing lights in my neck of the woods are having white strobes installed front and back. The cops aren't sure what to do about it cause no law against it.

THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
                              I have noticed that a lot of contractors and folks that get off on flashing lights in my neck of the woods are having white strobes installed front and back. The cops aren't sure what to do about it cause no law against it.

The word "nothing" comes to mind. I'd rather have contractor vehicles lit up like Christmas Trees than hit one.
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X