training...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training...

Hi Im new here and Ive been trying to find someone who can help me out with something, I have been reading alot of material on the website for the international foundation of protection officers and came across some training programs that they offer via correspondence, the one that caught my eye was the Certified Protection Officer course which is about two hundred and fifty dollars. Have any of you heard of this program and if so is this a waste of money or is this certification worth value to anyone in the security industry? I tried to find out a little more about the program and called their tx# but got a receptionist that only took orders and couldnt tell me anything other than the price.if anyone has done this or any other certification programs with the I.F.O.P.O please let me know, thanks.

You'll see alot of people with CPP, CPS, etc. This is the CPO program. Its one of many industry certifications that you can get. I have a rule, all sergeants in the company I'm involved with getting started will be CPO certified within 6 months. We'll help pay for it, and help with education, but the Sergeant better pass it.

I'm working on my CPP myself.

Honestly, its pretty letters at the end of your name. Some companies will see it as, "oooh, its a security guard with LETTERS at the end of his name. Pass, he'll probally demand higher wages." Others require all supervisors to be Certified Protection Officers.

But, then, look at the IT industry. That Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science means little if you don't have a bunch of letter certs, such as MSCE, RHCE, A+, Security+, etc. Like the ICPO programs, most industries have certifications.

Basically, take a look over at ASIS.org, they're considering ICPO programs to be continuing education. If its good enough for ASIS, its good enough for alot of companies.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I realize that this thread is a bit old, but I thought I would toss my .02 in. I picked up my CPO back in 98 when I first became an Operations Manager. At that time Connecticut had no state mandated training, so it was up to the individual companies to train their officers. The CPO does a good job of creating a higher level of training/education that can be used as a solid baseline for a security staff.

I have also worked it into the contract for some of my more ?high end? accounts. When a security officer earns his CPO there is a raise and billing increase. We pay for the challenge course since we have the books already. The CSS (Certified Security Supervisor) is now the SSMP - Security Supervision and Management Program. I have site supervisors and field supervisors do this program AFTER they have their CPO. They too see an increase on the same basis. If an officer, who works for me full time, does the CPP on his or her own, I will reimburse them for 50% even if it is out of my own pocket. I spent my time and money to increase my knowledge and I want to do what I can to help those out who are trying to do the same.

Even though Connecticut now has a ?Guard course?, I am going to be implementing the IFPO Entry Level Protection Officer program for all current and new officers. Since my office is still rather small, I can do this without a large amount of cost.

So, I do think the IFPO has a great service to our profession. You can do all the training you want within a company, but for the most part, only that company will care about the training. The IFPO or other certs you can get, travel with you. I also try to get all field sups, site sups and managers certified as First Aid/CPR/AED instructors.
      www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X