new guy needs tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy needs tips

Greetings, everyone. I was just hired by a Washington-based private security company and completed my 8 hours of training today. I've been assigned to 2 jobsites this weekend: an upscale retail store in an affluent area for vehicle patrol, and an auto dealership in a not-so-nice area for foot patrol.

Both shifts are 10 hours each, and both are in the late night/early morning. My training content was the bare minimum required my the state, and did not include on-the-job tips such as types of lunches to pack and how to avoid boredom.

On the vehicle patrol, I've been ordered to sit in my vehicle in the parking lot and observe the adjacent driveways into it, and every hour drive around the store, and repeat. Although I am patient, 10 hours in the dark might bore me to sleep. How do I keep myself occupied without falling asleep? I'm not allowed to read non-work related material, so I've considered listening to music and watching DVDs (but still being aware of the situation). Any other ideas?

For the foot patrol - 10 hours of walking around a car dealership sounds insufferable, but I'm sure it can be done. How do I go about keeping my mind off the cold and force myself to walk around for 10 hours?

Also, any tips on equipment I should carry? Weapons are out of the question, flashlight seems like a good idea, and handcuffs sound like a waste of money as it seems extremely unlikely I'll ever be in a situation where I'd be forced to physically restrain an individual.

And finally...lunches. Tips on what I should pack? Doesn't seem like I'll be able to keep any food warm for any period of time.

Welcome to the boards, fellow Washingtonian!

Out of curiosity, what area/company? Sounds like they just want you to do the old' "Observe & Report", if they're not giving you any on-the-job training... If they don't want you getting directly involved in anything, then your best bets are gonna be a flashlight, some pepper spray just in case, (the uniform IS like wearing a big red target, after all.. just be sure to look into getting certified for it first), and a cell phone should go without saying, so you can call any problems in to the local PD...

As far as lunches/breaks go, are they at scheduled times with someone relieving you? Or are they just whenever you want to take them? That makes a big impact on things... as far as what to bring, if you're working a late shift like that, you want things that're gonna help keep you awake... good energy-giving foods/drinks... (And that doesn't necessarily mean Rockstar, Monster, or the other energy sodas.. lol) Granola bars & things of that nature work well for me... but you know your body/metabolism better than anyone

As far as the boredom factor, good luck.. It's something we've all had to suffer through at one point or another in this line of work.. The last time I was at a post like that, I just kept on walkin/driving... except when on break... I found that the more I stopped, the more bored/tired I got...

Hope this all helps! And again, welcome!
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Ten hours in a patrol car? First, your allowed to get out of the patrol vehicle. You'll probally be instructed (once on site, not beforehand) to enter the store perodically and make contact with the management inside periodically, both to ensure they're alive and that your not asleep. This is good. You can also get out and stretch, walk around a bit, etc. This will keep you awake.

While your in the car, the radio in it (hopefully its working) is good. It'll keep you awake, as well, so long as you have it set to something that requires your attention. Talk Radio (Art Bell, maybe?) good, jazz music bad.

Hmm, lunch. I'm crazy, so I used to take these MRE like things with the heater units. Add water, and boom, instant hot food. They're called "Heater Meals," and they're not worth it unless your out there 10-12 hours. I'd suggest big bag of chips or something, 2two lliter of soda (caffiene), and some cold sandwiches, etc. During the first day, see what's going on inside. I've found that some places have vending machines with real food in them, etc.

Listening to music is one thing, but bringing a portable DVD player has serious issues. 1) Someone will probally rob you of it. 2) Your going to be watching the movie, and not notice the person wanting to rob you of it till its too late. 3) That person wanting to rob you of it may be a supervisor who found you watching DVDs instead of patrolling.

Boredom is a big thing. I personally hate accounts where your only authorized to start the vehicle once an hour, to "conserve gas." I usually put 10 in the tank (BEFORE 2.65 a gallon) and got permission to leave the thing running for the 12 hours I used it. It saves you from boredom (You have to think to drive), and by being constantly mobile, people realize that there is someone IN the car. Its a deterrant factor, as well.

Foot patrol in a bad part of town? Invest in a maglite. 4D minimum. You don't have to get one of those duty belts that are 2.25 inches wide, but invest in a good solid leather belt. Then, where you bought your maglite, buy the maglite ring. It may look Barney Fife, but you don't want to carry that flashlight in your hand for 10 hours. Hold the flashlight in your hand so the end (not the head) is upwards. You'll notice it feels like a club. It is, you now have an emergency impact weapon in case something bad happens. The other item on your belt should be a fully charged cell phone. With these two items, you are sufficiently prepared to gain enough time to call the police if your attacked. Handcuffs should not be worn without being certified in handcuffing and combatives, as you can be sued for cutting off their circulation after arrest. A favorite tactic of career criminals is to smash their wrists against something when cuffs aren't double locked, then sue for "the cuffs were too tight, he crushed the nerves in my wrists." He's a millioniare then, and your a penniless civil rights violator.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
        Welcome to the boards, fellow Washingtonian!

Out of curiosity, what area/company? Sounds like they just want you to do the old' "Observe & Report", if they're not giving you any on-the-job training... If they don't want you getting directly involved in anything, then your best bets are gonna be a flashlight, some pepper spray just in case, (the uniform IS like wearing a big red target, after all.. just be sure to look into getting certified for it first), and a cell phone should go without saying, so you can call any problems in to the local PD...

As far as lunches/breaks go, are they at scheduled times with someone relieving you? Or are they just whenever you want to take them? That makes a big impact on things... as far as what to bring, if you're working a late shift like that, you want things that're gonna help keep you awake... good energy-giving foods/drinks... (And that doesn't necessarily mean Rockstar, Monster, or the other energy sodas.. lol) Granola bars & things of that nature work well for me... but you know your body/metabolism better than anyone

As far as the boredom factor, good luck.. It's something we've all had to suffer through at one point or another in this line of work.. The last time I was at a post like that, I just kept on walkin/driving... except when on break... I found that the more I stopped, the more bored/tired I got...

Hope this all helps! And again, welcome!
        Beat me to it. Were you allowed to operate the vehicle you were assigned all night, or were you to park and watch except for 2-4 times a night to conserve gas? If its park or watch, I say get out. Otherwise, your going to sleep, period.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Bridgegate and N.A. Corbier have given you good advice. Take it to heart.
          What is your background? If you came from combat arms, military police or Air Force's Security Forces you'll be a lot safer than if you just got out of school.
          Vary your route. Entering the mall through a different door each time, if possible. Don't establish a pattern. When walking around the card lot, do the same thing. Double back once in awhile.
          An old Air Force Chief Master Sergeant taught us a useful thing. "In your mind's eye, play what if...if this happens, what will I do. What might the bad guy do...if there are two, what will I do. What might they do?
          That goes for driving around the mall, what will I do, if?
          Remember, you are responsible for you. In life, we survive and thrive by the choices we make. Unless you are experienced in UDAK, do not let anyone with an exposed knife get any closer than 21 feet. From experience, I know. Every morning when I shave, the reflection in the mirror reminds me!
          If you like what you are doing, stay proficient, go to school, read and take certified self-defense courses.
          Stay safe and enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X