Work Nights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Nights?

Who here works nights by choice? I just love it myself, however i found hearing the same songs on the radio everynight can get a little annoying. Thats what do though to get me through the night.

I prefer to work nights, but I'm on days right now by no choice of my own.

I never listened to the local radio much on nights, I have a few programs I record off the Internet during the day that I replay at night on my iPod, while I'm working.

Comment

I have worked many, many night shifts. When I was single it was my preference.

Try some talk radio instead of music. Music always put me to sleep.
      Art Bell and George Nory are great late night hosts.
      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

No Thanks

I can't handle nights. I'm unable to sleep more than four hours during the day which means I'm a zombie when the shift starts. Maybe if I were in my twenties??
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Most of my career of 30 years has been on the 15h00 to 23h00 shift. It is the best shift to work in hotel security but is terrible on family life. (I was never home for school concerts etc etc).At least with night shift you can be home at supper time. Being supervisor for 3 places I recently tried working days but when you get woken up at 2am & have to try & go back to sleep to get up at 5am it doesn't work . Now I work 15h00 to 23h00, stay up on call until 4 or 4 & sleep till noon. I have no trouble sleeping in the day light hours.

I have not listened to am radio in a long time. I'm a local news freak There is only 1 English am station in Montreal that has news & they focus on financial & political news. The building next door to them could be burning down & they don't report it. I prefer my scanner.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I don't know, but I find myself channel surfing in the patrol car at night. It's anything from classic rock to classic country.

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKSHOT
              I don't know, but I find myself channel surfing in the patrol car at night. It's anything from classic rock to classic country.
              What about classic gangsta rap?
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                Most of my career of 30 years has been on the 15h00 to 23h00 shift. It is the best shift to work in hotel security but is terrible on family life. (I was never home for school concerts etc etc).At least with night shift you can be home at supper time. Being supervisor for 3 places I recently tried working days but when you get woken up at 2am & have to try & go back to sleep to get up at 5am it doesn't work . Now I work 15h00 to 23h00, stay up on call until 4 or 4 & sleep till noon. I have no trouble sleeping in the day light hours.

I have not listened to am radio in a long time. I'm a local news freak There is only 1 English am station in Montreal that has news & they focus on financial & political news. The building next door to them could be burning down & they don't report it. I prefer my scanner.
                Same here. Keeps me informed when something happens close to the site.

Comment

It's nice and quiet here at work. Working holidays is a good thing.

Comment

We have some strange shifts here at the college. This is a one man site from 7pm to 7:30am except for Wed, Fri and Sat. on those days during regular shool calander( we are on winter break right now) we have two additional officers from 9pm to 4 am (peak hours) So we all work nights. I would prefer the shift to be divided int two sixes, but all of the officers except me live out of town so the 12 1/2 shift is preferable to them to save fuel costs in comuting. This is a very relaxing site most of the time and like others have said it is talk radio and my scanner that keep me going.
                    Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

I work 2000 - 0600, and I actually don't enjoy listening to music on the car radio while at work, for the same reason others have stated; Nodding off, whatever...

Three stations I've got programmed into my cruiser's stereo... WCBS (NYC, NY) 880 am news station, WBAL (Baltimore, MD) 1090 am talk radio, and WHAM (Rochester, NY) 1180 am talk radio (has the aforementioned George Noury's AM coast to coast)...

Other than that, I keep my handheld scanner going during the evening to keep track of what's going on in the area; Always the chance of hearing a BOL or such announced, seeing the suspect vehicle and calling the last seen location in to the local or state PD...

When it's a slow shift and all else fails, I swear by Vivarin...
                      “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                      "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

been working nights for about 4 months now. i didnt think i would like going back to nights after being away for 3 years, but i have grown to love it. Night time seems to bring out the crazy in people and is usually good for atleast one use of force report a week.

Comment

Originally posted by flashlightcop509
                          WHAM (Rochester, NY) 1180 am talk radio
                          One of my favorite radio stations from back home. Just wish I could pick it up this far south...

Comment

i love working nights by choice....except on weekends (gotta have a social life somewhere lol) usually it will be the 1600-0000 shift and on occasion i will do a 0000-0800 just to fill in for someone. when i work at the hospital i always do a 2300-0700 because thats when all the fun stuff happens.

when it comes to the radio, i just normally listen to all my favorite stations such as Z100 (NYC) k-ROCK (NYC) Q104.3 and 1010 WINS/660 WFAN. If not i sometimes listen to the hospital scanner and see what im missing out on.
                            Last edited by AlliedEMTguard; 12-27-2006, 09:35 PM.
                            War is a continuation of politics by other means- Karl Von Clausewitz

SO OTHERS MAY LIVE- US Navy Hospital Corpsman Motto
                            HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT- US NAVY Core Values

Comment

I'm just getting used to the night shift since I've started Campus Security. It seems all the interesting things happen at night.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X