It's fun being a supervisor!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's fun being a supervisor!

OK due to a person being sick here's my Christmas day schedule: December 24 - work from 23h00 to 07h00, sleep at the hotel from 07h00 to 15h00 & go back to work from 15h00 to 23h00. Then I take the m├ętro home, getting home about 23h30 - Giving me a grand total of 1/2 hour at home on Christmas day

The only bright side is my daughter works as a Room Clerk & is scheduled from 15h00 to 23h00 also. I announced to the General Manager of the hotel that we will be inviting my wife to the hotel for supper in the restaurant & that the hotel was going to pay the bill. All he said was "no drinks"
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Getting together for even a short time is better than you getting on the metro as the family is getting off.

No drinks, does he think you would order Dom Perignon?

Mamagement has its (dis)advantages.
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

You get to see your family, that is something. I am lucky and don't have to work Christmas, but I had one of my officers complain about not getting Xmas off. He has been here about six months. The policy is "Don't even ask for Thanksgiving or Christmas without having been here a minimum of one year." Be careful what you wish, you may get it. He was in a car wreck on Wednesday. He is not too badly hurt, but he will be out until Dec 27.
      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
        You get to see your family, that is something. I am lucky and don't have to work Christmas, but I had one of my officers complain about not getting Xmas off. He has been here about six months. The policy is "Don't even ask for Thanksgiving or Christmas without having been here a minimum of one year." Be careful what you wish, you may get it. He was in a car wreck on Wednesday. He is not too badly hurt, but he will be out until Dec 27.
        Some people will do anything for a day off.
        Does that mean you have to work for him?

Fortunately being my own boss I get Christmas off.

Have a happy holidays and merry christmas everyone.

Comment

I cant tell you how many christmas's I have worked, been deployed on, and thanksgivings too.. I am happy where I am at now, and hope everything goes fine so that I dont have to go in.. Last year our mall was shot up by some bangers.. so that ruined it for me.. I hope its peacefull this year!
          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Ive pretty muched every Christmas since Ive started working. Never minded much though, just as long as Im off for Txgiving dinner, I'm good.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Yep. I'm on at my part-time job Saturday (today) evening, then I'm on tommorow Day shift (with 8 hours off in between). After getting off work tomorrow afternoon, I'm off to the ambulance company from 6pm Christmas Eve to 7am Christmas Day. Then I'm on again at the part-time job Christmas Day evening shift.

Oh... and at the ambulance company - I'm volunteering... doing it for FREE!

I guess I should say that because I'm Jewish, I don't celebrate Christmas anyway... and it is a great bargaining chip when it comes to getting off for Thanksgiving.

Happy Holidays All, and all of you who are out there working, be safe!
              The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

I almost always work the major holidays. I like the holiday pay.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Rooney
                  Some people will do anything for a day off.
                  Does that mean you have to work for him?

Fortunately being my own boss I get Christmas off.

Have a happy holidays and merry christmas everyone.
                  No, thank goodness, as I will be on the road to Arizona for my vaction. Wednesday night my Sgt and I spent about an hour re working the schedule. Needless to say, I have a couple of unhappy officers.
                  "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                    No, thank goodness, as I will be on the road to Arizona for my vaction. Wednesday night my Sgt and I spent about an hour re working the schedule. Needless to say, I have a couple of unhappy officers.
                    You know the old but true adage: "You can't please everyone." Somebody has to work. Anyone who seeks employment where you are considered essential personnel should understand that. If not, TOUGH.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Working Christmas and New Year's Days? Hell, yeah. Cops, guards, doctors, nurses, city workers, we've all done it. But in these last couple of years I let my employer know that I've done enough of those Christmas Eve to Boxing Day and New Year's Eve / Day and now it's time for the youngsters to do them.
                      At 35 with a wife (no kids yet...yet) and 11 of the last 14 of those holidays working, well, I just don't want to do it anymore.

One of the last ones I brought my then-girlfriend with me patrolling (with boss' consent, as if I wanted it) and we opened Christmas presents in the car parked at a gas station. Lovely. No more.

But at least we were together, much like you and your daughter, and that's what counts.

godspeed
                      wjohnc
                      Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                      "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Yeah I kinda' agree on working the holiday thing. I only ask to be home on Christmas because it's more for my kids than anything. -- I work all the other holidays simply because it's Double-Time and a half {Basically we're paid for a 20 hour day before all is said and done something like $32.00 an hour plus Shift Differential if we're on Night Work which is 5pm to 5am}

If I have to do Christmas I'll do it......But I perfer not to and will usually get it off seeing how the gang I work with either has kids already grown or their too young to have started a family so unless of course My Days Off fall on the 25th which in 2007 it does I work it.

Comment

UPdate

I'm working overnight tonight because I finally fired the guy. Since this first post he called in sick another weekend & came in late (uo to 2 hours late) 2 times. Friday night he called in sick 25 minutes before his shift. I was just about to go to bed, had to get up & work overnight with no sleep. Like I told my wife, I have no one to replace him but it's better knwing that I will have to work 7 days a week for a while than being called in at the very last minute.
                          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X