Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term or short term goals?

What are the goals, long term or short term, that you are working toward

and hoping to reach within the security industry? Will these goals contribute

to other goals outside of the security sector? As for myself, my goal is to

advance as much as I can in the physical aspects of the security world while

attending college for criminal justice and psychology degrees. Other than

that, I might look to some law enforcement experience within the Department

of the Interior. One day I hope these goals will help me to acquire a position

in the U.S. Marshals.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
    - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
    — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

I would be considered just past mid career, and am in the process of taking some university courses. (never stop learning by the way) I will be trying to transfer skills learned in the security world to another industry somewhat related.

So, short term, take classes & get good marks, medium term apply for other jobs, long term have a good paying job with benefits and pension. Maybe a beer along the way....

Federal, why not go to the US Marshal sooner?
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Ling term? I'm 50 years old. Starting to have oroblems due to my diabeties. (was off all last week when I couldn't see out of one of my eyes & vison was already bad in the other). Looks like I'm stuck doing what I have been doing for the past 25 years. (I can't leave because I wouldn't be able to get insurance elsewhere). At least I like my job & even after all these years it remauns challenging!
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

In September 2007, I will be 58 years old. I am an Account Manager with
        Securitas. Oveall the pluses out weigh the minus with my job. I am in good
        health. Excluding phone calls on occasion from Guards at work, and visits
        to the branch office, and sometimes doing work at home, my job is hassle
        free. My goal for the interim is to stay the course with Securitas. If
        at the age of 65 I am in the same situation, I may continue to work for
        Securitas and not retire. We have an Account Manager with Secuirtas who
        is 72 years old. He told me that the job keeps his mind and body active
        He walks about 2 miles a day on patrols and the administrative duties
        is good for the mind. Too many of his friends are dead for lack of
        things to do.
        http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Right out of high school I worked in a large factory. My long-term goal was to get into law enforcement. That finally happened after approximately 6 years of part time night school and applying at numerous police departments. After 25 years of law enforcement, I retired and went into corporate security at the same corporation I worked for out of high school. Some of the people I use to work with are still there. I am 55 years old now and I have been in security for 3 years. My plan is to do this for another 4 or 5 years.

Comment

Have been working in Security just under two years... My short term goals are to make it through the Corrections Academy, and start at River Bend, and maybe take some college courses.
            Long term I'd like to get on with a Police/Sheriff's Dept, and maybe the US Army National Guard...
            "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Currently Shift Sup at hospital. Short term Goal, Finish getting all my IAHSS Certifications (1 down, 3 to go). Long term goal, eventually take over as a director or manager of hospital security somewhere.

Comment

Hmmmm..

Well, I am 29 a few times over (shh, dont tell no one).. But, I have my degrees already in Psy and CJ, Earned a few national certs and such, done the military and war scene, little bit of LE, and made Director..

Short Term Goals: Continue to drop the crime rate in my sector, Continue training and gaining knowledge, Train staff up the the best they can be, Gain new contracts.. (our corporate just got new insurace for armed..hmm), I have my eye on Riot and crowd control instructor certification..

Long Term Goals:I learned right away to never plan out exacts, my life changes too much! LOL.. But either become Area Manager for our Security Sector, or maybe even go LE again.. I dont know yet.. I am trying to get past the short terms first!

Its really hard to say.. I also do have a long term goal of improving the industry.. one peice at a time though!
                Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Very short term goal: Surviving another wild New Years Eve in a downtown hotel. Always our most difficult single night of the year. (Spring Break is our most difficult week).
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Hello

Hello,Ive been in security 6 year's now.I was a correctional officer for a short time,but had enough of the political BS(WV DOC).
                    Now im back in security and hopeing to get my own detective agency started soon.

Comment

Eric,

As soon as they start taking applications I'll jump on it. From what I've

gathered, the last time they were hiring was in 2001. I've also read that they

only hire on the average of once every five years or so. I'd be interested,

however, in learning about their court security.
                      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
                      - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
                      — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

When I was in the Tri-Cities WA, I visited the Federal Courthouse where USMS Court Security was. From what I could gather, all of the guys there had at least 5yrs of LE experience, though I'm not sure if that was a requirement. Most of them were older, so to me it seemed like it was a "Retirement job". My buddy works for an armed private security firm in a Federal Building, I know he works with USMSCS every once in a while, I have him get more info to me.
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                          When I was in the Tri-Cities WA, I visited the Federal Courthouse where USMS Court Security was. From what I could gather, all of the guys there had at least 5yrs of LE experience, though I'm not sure if that was a requirement. Most of them were older, so to me it seemed like it was a "Retirement job". My buddy works for an armed private security firm in a Federal Building, I know he works with USMSCS every once in a while, I have him get more info to me.
                          BHR Lawson:
                          The basic requirements for Court Security Officers, who work for security companies and overseen by the US Marshals Service's Judicial Security Branch, must have at least three years of sworn LE experience and be graduates of recognized LE academies either civilian or military. Most, not all, CSO are retired from respective LE agencies, federal, state, county, township, city or village. Most work in US courthouses in areas from which they retired and know the turf well. They bring a seasoned response to most situations encountered.
                          It is not an easy "retirement job" given the number of CSO who have been murdered or seriously injured in the performance of their assigned missions.
                          While assigned to the old Court Security Division, USMS, conducting security surveys of numerous court facilities, I came to know, respect and like the CSOs met in my travels.
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                            I will be trying to transfer skills learned in the security world to another industry somewhat related.
                            Would it be impolite to ask which industry you're referring to, Eric? It might be of interest to some of our members.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
                              Would it be impolite to ask which industry you're referring to, Eric? It might be of interest to some of our members.
                              It would be rarily be impolite to ask and much like most of you here, happy to offer my 2 cents.
                              The Insurance industry is not going away and most use some form of risk assessment for on site visits. Inspection and adjusting are just 2 that can have observe and report functions.

Some of these roles are just 3 university courses away, up my way at least.
                              I saw a posting recently for part time inspections of auto's by an insurance group. You take a picture, prepare a checklist and submit the info by email. (14.00 an hour)
                              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                              Groucho Marx

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X