No announcement yet.

whats best technique to use when deploying oc spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the incidents we have were OC has been used, you are so close to the subject, you always get some on you. So I like the concept, but agree with you that moving targets and close quarters dont provide the best scenerio for the class room block of instruction. I advise my own that when it comes down to it, OC is free to them, so do what they need to.

I wised up very quickly, and brought the cam corder for several reasons.. I knew that i wished I had a copy of me getting hit, so in turn I was sure all of my officers would want the same. Now we record it and give copies out to the new officers, as a momento of their sacrafice to the OC gods..LOL!

Its also helpful to include in introduction blocks of training to new hires. It gives them an idea of what they can look forward to. We also use it to study from, the physiological responses of different individuals, and it also provides aid in court when someone wants to complain about getting hit, and how unhuman it was.. then the defendant and judge get to see the same officer who sprayed the defendant, had already been hit with it before and is still walking and talking.. Takes the wind out of Use of force complaints real quick!

Our management likes to use it to brag to other associations about the high "level" of training our department goes through, so everybody benefits from a video!

And if you wants copies, let me know! LOL!
    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

The best technique is to spray the perp and not yourself.
      Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!
      Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Always spray downwind.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

OC spray

I give 'em a dose of that ole time religion...Sign Of The Cross...left to right across the eyes...high to low from the forehead to the chin...that's how I was trained...

Comment

Originally posted by casec1
            I give 'em a dose of that ole time religion...Sign Of The Cross...left to right across the eyes...high to low from the forehead to the chin...that's how I was trained...
            While chanting "The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you!" lol
            We may not be sworn in, have all the powers of arrest as a peace officer, or are able to run red & blues, but damnit, when the chips are down, the **** hits the fan, and the bullets are flying, me and an LEO share the same dumpster for cover, and spill the same blood in the same mud. All other differences are just details.

Comment

"I need an old priest, and a young priest!" LOL
              Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
              Originally posted by ValleyOne
              BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
              Shoulda called in sick.
              Be safe!

Comment

i personally only use Fox Labs Cone spray to use on the BG's. It sprays so wide that aiming or patterns are not really needed. Just point towards the face and shoot, has worked every time so far. The only mishap is when I was fighting with a BG, sprayed him, he re-entered the store i work at, and in my chase I walked right through the still hovering cloud of OC, not fun but not as bad as the BG was feeling, haha.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bridgegate]Well, a stream is highly effective for giving a good hard-hitting burst of painful compliance, as long as it hits it's intended target. You more-or-less have to hit the person either directly in the eyes, or on the eyebrows so it drips into their eyes... OC will get you compliance through a few different ways, but the first goal you should try to attain with it is the involuntary eye closure, as this makes it a lot harder for your attacker to get to you. The nasal drainage/irritation and skin-burning sensations are secondary...

The problem with directly hitting someone in the eyes with OC spray or at least the way I was trained was that a direct shot into the eyes can actually cause damage and scratch the cornea.

Comment

pepper gel

i was looking at quartermaster web site i saw they now have pepper gel it says it sticks like glue. in the catalog it shows it on a mannequins face wow.it looks like it really works
                    i tryed to put a link here hope it works if not go to the web site

http://www.qmuniforms.com/itemdy00.a...nal+Protection

Comment

Originally posted by nyspo
                      i was looking at quartermaster web site i saw they now have pepper gel it says it sticks like glue. in the catalog it shows it on a mannequins face wow.it looks like it really works
                      i tryed to put a link here hope it works if not go to the web site

http://www.qmuniforms.com/itemdy00.a...nal+Protection
                      Funny I mentioned this on MD's OC thread and have been anxiously awaiting his input on it...
                      ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                      Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

When I was at my last mall, we used oc spay in a cone shape. The reason is that it seemed to be faster acting than a stream, there was also that all officers were usually only about 5-10 feet away from the perp when we had to spray them. I got so bad in there a few years ago that we had to open the display entrace so that fresh air could go through the mall, we had regular patrons that had small coughing fits from the amount of spray that we had to use on different suspects.
                        Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X