whats best technique to use when deploying oc spray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats best technique to use when deploying oc spray

Ive been told by a few instructors that the circular pattern is the best and some that the Z pattern is the best when deploying oc.

In you opinion which technique has served you the best when deploying oc?
    Last edited by bigdog; 12-07-2006, 05:34 PM.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

The "Z" or "Hourglass" has always worked well for me, and been my preferred deployment. But keep in mind this also depends on what type of spray you use. Neither of these will be terribly effective if you're using a stream, for example. You basically have to hit your target dead-on with those.

I'm a huge proponent of the "cone mist" sprays, but they would be a BAD choice for those of us who work in windy areas, such as on the coast. (I'm glad I don't.. lol)

Basically, find what works well for you, and keep doing it. Everybody has their own preferences.
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

actually I do carry stream and those were the 2 patterns that were suggested to use.

Comment

Well, a stream is highly effective for giving a good hard-hitting burst of painful compliance, as long as it hits it's intended target. You more-or-less have to hit the person either directly in the eyes, or on the eyebrows so it drips into their eyes... OC will get you compliance through a few different ways, but the first goal you should try to attain with it is the involuntary eye closure, as this makes it a lot harder for your attacker to get to you. The nasal drainage/irritation and skin-burning sensations are secondary...

The reason I highly support the cone mist is that it still delivers a strong directional burst like a stream, but the spray area is wide enough that you don't need to have perfect aim for it to be effective. Just aim for their head and push. The Z pattern (as well as the circle and others) just adds to it by covering more of your target.

With a stream, I think your biggest concern is going to be simply working on your aim. You're going to want to be confident in your abilities enough that if you have to pull your OC and use it in a quick manner, you'll hit your target right away every time. Might not be a bad idea to pick up a few of the inert training cans at some point to practice with.
        BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
        Shoulda called in sick.
        Be safe!

Comment

I became an instructor when pepper spray first came out and I always taught the Z.

Several things to remember with OC: Don't over do it. Don't think it is the "silver bullet," ( I've experienced more than one person who continued to fight after getting hit.)

**Your agency needs a written policy and procedure on the proper use of OC. This protects you if it is said you misused the spray. You can go back to having followed policy and procedure, plus adhered to training guidelines.
          Always have documentation that you have successfully been trained in the use of OC: Then carry only that you've been trained with.**

Never "threaten" use: Surprise really is a key ingredient. Once you've made the decision the OC should be used don't tell the target "I'm going to "mace" you if you don't submit." Once you've told the target he or she may get "maced" they'll start "rope-a-doping" to avoid getting hit. At the stage you've decided to use OC the target should have displayed his or her intentions of resisting arrest or doing harm to you or others ( or themselves in a few cases) so it serves no purpose to tell them you're going to use it.

Be aware of who is nearby when using it: especially if you have a partner,(I once had to "dance" around a man my partner was attempting to spray.)

Be prepared to be able to flush the target's eyes out after getting him or her under control. Keep an eye on them while awaiting transport and during transport ( there have been cases of target's choking to death because they were left unattended in the back seat.)

Hope this helps.

Rick

Comment

I was also taught the Z. It isn't all that hard to nearly cover someones face with spray even when using stream. We practice a one second shot and and get real good coverage with the Freeze +P we use. Yes, aim for the eyes and then make a sort of Z. I will also point out that it is much easier to spray someone who is just standing there, than it is to spray someone who is trying to kick your A$$. It can still be done though.

Comment

Our department only issued the stream OC format, and we were taught the Z-pattern method in the POST academy. I can't remember anyone suggesting a circular pattern.
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I was taught the "Z" pattern, but don't have any experience to give advice from. I've yet to deploy OC on anyone.

Comment

I was taught the circular pattern when i was certified with oc through defense technology. My agency insrtuctor taught us the Z. I think im gonna go with the Z pattern, thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
                    In your opinion which technique has served you the best when deploying oc?
                    Stand upwind and aim at the face. I use foam, which has a 'splatter' cone-ish pattern, so 'Z' or 'M' patterns aren't much use.

Comment

For spray, national training standard are:
                      T pattern, across the eyebrows, and then down across the nose.

For foam:
                      Circular motion, working center to outside.

Fogger:
                      Minimum 6 foot distance, and from waiste to head. For crowds, side to side sweeping patterns.

Use short bursts on all types.
                      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                        For spray, national training standard are:
                        T pattern, across the eyebrows, and then down across the nose.
                        Ah ha! I was waiting for your input on this, MD.. Being a fellow OC patron & all..

Funny that you mention the "T" as a national training standard... I've never heard of it... (Although it DOES make sense, as I mentioned in a previous post, hitting the eyes first)
                        Around here the "Z" is the big one... And from all these other posts, I'd say it's pretty widespread.
                        Shoulda called in sick.
                        Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Bridgegate
                          Ah ha! I was waiting for your input on this, MD.. Being a fellow OC patron & all..

Funny that you mention the "T" as a national training standard... I've never heard of it... (Although it DOES make sense, as I mentioned in a previous post, hitting the eyes first)
                          Around here the "Z" is the big one... And from all these other posts, I'd say it's pretty widespread.
                          You couldnt resist yourself, could you? LOL!!!

I am glad to see another OC Inst got as excited about this as me! "Z" pattern works just as well.. Concept is the same, blind em, then make em breath it!

Next question is though.. Who here has had a difficult time controlling the giggles when you hit someone with foam? All this talk of OC reminds me back to the first time I hosed one of my officers with the Foam.. I forgot to tell him to execute the tasks as I stood there laughing to myself.. funniest thing I ever saw.. I know.. Off topic, but couldnt resist myself!
                          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                            You couldnt resist yourself, could you? LOL!!!

I am glad to see another OC Inst got as excited about this as me! "Z" pattern works just as well.. Concept is the same, blind em, then make em breath it!

Next question is though.. Who here has had a difficult time controlling the giggles when you hit someone with foam? All this talk of OC reminds me back to the first time I hosed one of my officers with the Foam.. I forgot to tell him to execute the tasks as I stood there laughing to myself.. funniest thing I ever saw.. I know.. Off topic, but couldnt resist myself!
                            LMAO!!

Actually, the whole reason I was put through the rigors of becoming an OC instructor, was so I could come back and train my crew at the mall dept. I was running. So naturally, getting to spray my entire crew was TONS of fun! My only regret is that I didn't have access to a video camera at the time, so alas the session is saved only in memory... (And documentation, of course.. lol)
                            Shoulda called in sick.
                            Be safe!

Comment

lol

Z's, T's, meh I prefer to see how far I can make it into the alphabet starting with A before the OC can goes dry

Nah in all seriousness I've taken a live hit as part of my cert, it wasn't pretty.

T works nicely, so does Z, but personally so does W. IMHO you are more likely to hit a moving target who is actively trying to avoid your oc spray especially if its liquid.
                              We may not be sworn in, have all the powers of arrest as a peace officer, or are able to run red & blues, but damnit, when the chips are down, the **** hits the fan, and the bullets are flying, me and an LEO share the same dumpster for cover, and spill the same blood in the same mud. All other differences are just details.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X