Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always liked the Seven Habits of Highly Succesful Pirates:

1. Pillage, then burn.

6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

8. Mockery and derision have their place. Usually, it's on the far side of the airlock.

9. Never turn your back on an enemy.

12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

13. Do unto others.

16. Your name is in the mouth of others: be sure it has teeth.

27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.

29. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

30. A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

31. Only cheaters prosper.

34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.

35. That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.

36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.

37. There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

xx. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow.

xx. Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients.

From the webcomic Schlock Mercenary.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
      I like your post.

Deciding Between Right and Wrong – Listening to Our Inner Voice

“Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking”. - Henry Louis Mencken, "Sententiae," This and That: A Mencken Chrestomathy, 1948

We all have it – you know that inner voice that continuously talks to us. Thomas Magnum, of Magnum PI fame, had it. Our inner voice, developed early in life, is the minds loud speaker - our moral and ethical subconscious. The inner voice is always right, it’s when we try to justify and rationalize that we make poor ethical decisions. This is just a piece of what I wrote on the topic of ethics for an upcoming publication.
      What publication, Curtis? Is it available?
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

One of the topics I wrote on was ethics and conflicts of interest.

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=4065
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

One of the topics I wrote on was ethics and conflicts of interest.

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=4065
          Can't preorder right before Christmas. Momma is a very good shot with her own little Beretta, you see, and if I bust the holiday budget she just might plug me in the leg while I'm up on the roof stringing Christmas lights - she's funny that way. But, it's been added to my Amazon "wish list" for the March release. Thanks!
          Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-20-2007, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I think you mentioned once your get a discount at Elsevier?

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I think you mentioned once your get a discount at Elsevier?
              Yeah - hadn't thought about that. Will it be available sooner through the publisher?

Comment

They have posted the same release date. Who knows - it could change. John Christman may know more about that.

Comment

They have posted the same release date. Who knows - it could change. John Christman may know more about that.
                  Thanks - I'm looking forward to adding it to my library as soon as I can sneak the clip out of Momma's pistolero. Let her throw china, like other wives!

Comment

1 electronics retailer I worked for was rife with corruption / dishonesty by staff doing deals with external services (ie. car dealers and gyms). Staff would purchase items at a discounts and to give or sell in exchange for a deal with the other suppliers. 1 Car Detailer came into a store I was visiting to hand out free car wash vouchers to the store staff. He did this often with the previous manager (fired for major fraud) in exchange for free installation services. The store staff informed me this was common across the company as Regional Mgt condoned it and got their freebies as well. I soon cut off the supply when another 10 or so idiots were fired for similar behaviour.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Thanks again for this thread. You're right, when I find myself talking back to that little voice I need to stop what I'm doing. I'm gonna miss the freebies, but not as much as I'd miss having integrity and pride in what I do.
                      That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by officerchick View Post
                        Thanks again for this thread. You're right, when I find myself talking back to that little voice I need to stop what I'm doing. I'm gonna miss the freebies, but not as much as I'd miss having integrity and pride in what I do.
                        Good for you young lady, good for you. In the final analysis, integrity or moral fiber or backbone and pride are the only things that really count in any endeavor we undertake.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill

Comment

Well, a certain CCTV equipment manufacturer (starts with 'S') dropped by today for a demo. The haul: 2 t-shirts, a pen, a tape measure/level, a pair of dice, and liturature. I gave it all away but the literature.

Now I have less stuff but I feel more honest.

I could have used another t-shirt, though.

Oh well. Most of their product is overpriced.
                          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

I see you understand the crux of the issue. But you are not a security practitioner and live by a different set of principals.

Comment

Plain and simple, I do not accept gifts or items at a lower price. I can never be comprimised in anyway.

Be Safe,

Hank
                              " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Whenever I do something above and beyond that may make someone feel like they have to tip me, I just tell them to pay it forward. I don't except tips.
                                Craig

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X