gifts & ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gifts & ethics

Do you have a policy on Security Officers accepting gifts over the Christmas period ( or during the year) where you work?

We have an ethics agreement with limits.
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

The only policy we have is, be sure to say thank you.

We cannot accept gifts from our patients or visitors unless it has been cleared by an administrator. So lets say a patient comes in and they are a little loopy and they want to tip you for being nice to them, we obviously have to turn them down. However; if they are let out and they contact an administrator and advise them they want to bring us a cake, that may be different.

I dont think there is any policy against us giving/getting gifts from employees.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
      The only policy we have is, be sure to say thank you.

We cannot accept gifts from our patients or visitors unless it has been cleared by an administrator. So lets say a patient comes in and they are a little loopy and they want to tip you for being nice to them, we obviously have to turn them down. However; if they are let out and they contact an administrator and advise them they want to bring us a cake, that may be different.

I dont think there is any policy against us giving/getting gifts from employees.
      Let me guess: Fruitcake (lots of nuts)
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

A lot of our work involves non security related service such as bringing towels to rooms, helping with luggage when there are no Bellboys on duty etc. For these things we are allowed to accept tips. For security duties (helping a guest figure out how to use his electronic key card for example) we are not. People tend to NOT tip nowadays. It does not effect us but most people don't realize that a lot of employees like Bellboys have a lower minimum wage because it is expected that they will get a tip. It is even worse for a waiter here in Quebec, He is taxed as if he received an 8% tip so if you tip him less than 8% his service to you is actually costing him!
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

The hospital I go to for care has their contract security officers provide valet service. They have a big sign out front that says "Valet parking for Physician's Pavilion and Medical Center patients. NO TIPPING"

It always kinda makes me chuckle when I see that, then again I always park myself.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
            Let me guess: Fruitcake (lots of nuts)
            Fruitcake, Pound cake, carrot cake, ice cream cake, whatever... if its from a patient, Im not eating it.
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

We are not allowed to accept tips, people bring food to the hospital all the time thats ok. At my last hospital we did the valet parking and when some one tried to tip us we told them that because we were licensed by the state we could not accept them for fear of losing our license.

Comment

The no tipping thing always reminds me of watching episodes of "Futurama" where the pizza box Fry delivers always says "Do not tip delivery boy"

"The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                  The hospital I go to for care has their contract security officers provide valet service. They have a big sign out front that says "Valet parking for Physician's Pavilion and Medical Center patients. NO TIPPING"

It always kinda makes me chuckle when I see that, then again I always park myself.
                  The shuttles at my 2 airport hotels have signs in them in both offical languages says "Tipping is at your descresion". During negociations at the downtown hotel the valet parking jockies wore big buttons that said "Tipping IS Accepted".
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                    We are not allowed to accept tips, people bring food to the hospital all the time thats ok. At my last hospital we did the valet parking and when some one tried to tip us we told them that because we were licensed by the state we could not accept them for fear of losing our license.
                    Was this in Florida? There are a lot of rules in 493 and 5-N, but I don't think there's anything against tipping in statute unless they're trying to make a fraud or an unwritten "unprofessional activities" claim.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      Was this in Florida? There are a lot of rules in 493 and 5-N, but I don't think there's anything against tipping in statute unless they're trying to make a fraud or an unwritten "unprofessional activities" claim.
                      Although I am not familiar with FL law, I believe that he simply told this to people because sometimes people get upset when you try to refuse a tip.
                      That is why we are allowed to accept tips. We don't want to upset customers. We are not allowed to ask for one in any way, shape or form. In training new hires I go through about 15 minutes of explaining the difference between a "tip" and a "bribe"
                      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Its amusing because you can't actually bribe a security person unless they have specific authority vested in them by the state, and are considered "public employees."

While it may be against company policy to take tips, you can't usually bribe a security person legally.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                          Just an excuse we used. It was against company policy. Some people would try and force the money into your hand, tell em it's against the law and they stop real quick.

edit: IF it would have been up to me, I would have let them take it. The officers working valet were my lowest paid officers in the town. 7 bucks I believe. Some may think that aint that bad for just parking vehicles, but they were still required to be "D" officers and when they realized they can go down the street to joe blow security and make 8.50 they was gone.

Comment

A couple of years ago I composed the rules, both general and site-specific, for guards of the company. Everything was fine and good until I got to the issue of accepting gifts.
                            Management, and the Mall Supervisors, had a hard time agreeing with it, citing the guards at the malls where freebies at mall closing time like Tim Horton's coffee and doughnuts were always a favourite.

I included the ban, and it was approved, but we all knew it wouldn't be strongly enforced. The reason we included it was for protection of the company if something happened to a guard.

I'm not there anymore.

wjohnc
                            who after many years of declining gifts and freebies on- or off-duty (a small city everyone knew me somehow) has it ingrained in his behaviour - it sucks at parties.
                            Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                            "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

I've worked for companies on both sides of the coin. Accepting gifts or gratuities is ok. Accepting gifts or gratuities is strictly forbidden.

Regardless of company policy, I won't take it. Not even a cup of coffee. Why? Because some people think, even must waaaay back there in their mind, that by accepting their gift, you are obligated to them. Taking that cup of coffee from the corner store clerk results in "Hey, it's been getting pretty busy on Friday nights. Could you stop in a few times to check on things?" Or taking the plate of cookies from the little old lady at the apartment complex results in her calling you every night, several times a night, for everything from strange noises to helping open the pickle jar. And people with money...Oh, Lord, save us from the stuck up rich people, who already think they own the poor security guard at the front gate. Take a tip from one, and next thing you know, it's "You owe me! I gave you a dollar yesterday!"

I'll pass on that, thanks. I simply say"I appreciate the offer, but I can't" and walking away. They don't need to know why, and if they want to get offended, well.....good. That's one less obnoxious person calling me at all hours to help them find their runaway chihuaha.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X