Duty Belt and Driving Comfortable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
    It sounds to me like he just carries the rounds on his belt. Probably something like this...

I understand, but why carry them on your belt when you rarely exit the vehicle with a shotgun? There's too much on my belt already to even think about carrying shotgun rounds, and I don't carry anything an armed security officer wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
      I understand, but why carry them on your belt when you rarely exit the vehicle with a shotgun? There's too much on my belt already to even think about carrying shotgun rounds, and I don't carry anything an armed security officer wouldn't.
      I tend to agree with this. I had enough gear on that my coworkers called me Batman. And honestly, if I wanted to carry more shotgun rounds, that's why they made the Sidesaddle.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        I tend to agree with this. I had enough gear on that my coworkers called me Batman. And honestly, if I wanted to carry more shotgun rounds, that's why they made the Sidesaddle.
        Heheheheh...

My Area Supervisor is just as bad; 2 pr. cuffs, 2 cans OC, 1 Stinger flashlight, 1 Surefire type light in a spare OC case, Radio, portable scanner, 2 cell phones, a pager on one epaulet and a 3 LED clip on light on the other... He's come to be known around the Mountain as Robocop...
        “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
        "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

This is the setup for my duty belt. I leave the back (between the handcuff strap and single magazine/multi-tool case) open. Sorry for the crude picture, but this is the best I could get right now

In case anyone is wondering (since the picture is kinda dark), I carry the following:

*left to right

Double Magazine
          Nextel
          Stinger (not pictured)
          Handcuffs
          Multi-tool
          Asp Baton
          Firearm
          OC/CS
          Handcuffs
          Gloves

Years ago I carried so much stuff that you couldn't even tell I was wearing a belt. Over time you learn that carrying all that weight takes a toll on your body. I shed my belt of all non-essential gear (with the exception of the multi-tool... Oddly enough, I use it quite often). If you really have to carry a hundred things on your belt, do your best to distribute the weight as evenly as possible.
          Attached Files
          "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

What do you thing of the mic for the nextel? one of our hospitals just uses nextels for comm and thought about getting some.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
              What do you thing of the mic for the nextel? one of our hospitals just uses nextels for comm and thought about getting some.
              They work well. The light-duty mics (pictured) will cost around $50 whereas the heavy-duty mics will cost upwards of $150.
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

You carry a shotgun with you every time you exit the vehicle?

No I don't...but I carry 6 extra rounds on my duty belt. (I will post a pic of my set up later when I have a chance.)
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Man I cant even begin to describe the pain I was in when I first started vehicle patrols where I'm in the vehicle about 80% of my shift.

Starting from the front middle, going clockwise, here is my arrangement.

Gun at 3 o'clock, 2 handcuffs in cuff cases both at 6 o'clock side by side, at 7:30 I have my magazine holder, 26" Asp baton at 9 o'clock, liquid OC at 10 o'clock.

For the flashlight, the nextel, gloves, etc I also use 5.11 Tactical pants which omg come in real handy.

Er.. ok , all that to say this. As you can see, those handcuffs I had right on the small of my back placed together, was a real pain literally but eventually you get used to it, or you just figure out that one magical sweet spot you can sit or where to hike up the belt to where you can sit for hours pain free. Bottom line it'll get better.
                  We may not be sworn in, have all the powers of arrest as a peace officer, or are able to run red & blues, but damnit, when the chips are down, the **** hits the fan, and the bullets are flying, me and an LEO share the same dumpster for cover, and spill the same blood in the same mud. All other differences are just details.

Comment

Ok, here's my set-up.....

(left to right) Weapon light, 2 extra 18rd magazines, radio w/speaker mic, pepper spray, large flashlight holder, extra shotgun ammo, glock 17, expandable batton, cuff's.
                    Last edited by Special Investigator; 12-14-2006, 02:08 AM.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Originally posted by flashlightcop509
                      Oy Vey...

I can tell you, '06 Subaru Forrester's are not designed for driving comfort (with duty belt or sans such)...

This is my setup...

Not bad weightwise, I'm left handed so natch my cuffs and spray are on the left (unfortunatley, these being the heaviest items); But, seeing as how half my patrol involves driving, having some of the items on my belt moved forward would be equally uncomfortable (No way do I want a Stinger case jammed into my front left thight for 6+ hours)...
                      You noticed that too? Our 2001 Forester has no comfortability with gear! OMG, what a pain after a few hours in the seat!
                      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Special Investigator
                        Ok, here's my set-up.....

(left to right) Weapon light, 2 extra 18rd magazines, radio w/speaker mic, pepper spray, large flashlight holder, extra shotgun ammo, glock 17, expandable batton, cuff's.
                        I guess I just don't see the point of the extra shotgun rounds if you're not constantly carrying a shotgun.

Comment

I guess I just don't see the point of the extra shotgun rounds if you're not constantly carrying a shotgun.
                          The way I look at it, you can never have too much ammo. Between the rounds loaded in the shotgun, 5 rds in a butt stock holder and the 6 on my duty belt. I feel more prepared if I get into a shooting situation. I'd hate to run out of ammo in a shooting situation. I don't want to have to run back to my squad if I run out. Besides it looks more intimidating to someone who might be a threat. Often the "look" will prevent or make someone think twice before deciding to follow thru with their actions.

Last edited by Special Investigator; 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM.

~~George Orwell.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with carrying plenty of ammo. But what Davis is trying to get at, is why carry all that extra shotgun ammo, (to have in a pinch, as you said) if you're not carrying a shotgun? Since you yourself admitted you don't carry it with you everytime you get out of the vehicle, what good are those extra rounds going to do if you have to draw & use your sidearm all of a sudden?
                            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                            Originally posted by ValleyOne
                            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                            Shoulda called in sick.
                            Be safe!

Comment

If I have to get out and grab the shotgun in a hurry, I have the ammo already with me rather than spending extra time grabbing, and possibly fumbling around reaching for extra rounds.

I'd rather be prepared ahead of time. In a lot of cases, seconds count.

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Investigator
                                I'd rather be prepared ahead of time. In a lot of cases, seconds count.
                                Very true. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the idea of being prepared for anything. It's just that the idea of carrying extra ammo around with you everywhere for a weapon you don't, seems kinda... eh... What's the word here.... "Tackleberry-ish"? LOL
                                Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                                Originally posted by ValleyOne
                                BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                                Shoulda called in sick.
                                Be safe!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X