Duty Belt and Driving Comfortable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Belt and Driving Comfortable?

Does anyone know how to drive comfortably with a duty-belt? I have a glove pouch behind my back. It has a snap button, but if I get one without a snap I'm hoping it will be more comfortable when driving. It seems to me if you sit up more while driving it's a lot easier.

A lot depends on the seat of the car. Police package vehicles tend to have flatter, less contoured seats than what is found in most cars today. They are more similar to the bench seats in older cars. The contoured bucket seats of newer cars do not lend themselves well to wearing a duty belt. Aside from changing seats, or cars, about the best you can do is keep as much of your gear as possible away from your back or sides where the side supports of the seats are. A difficult task, I know.
    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

I had accumold "pager" cases that just crushed, and reformed when I got out. Keep what you can up front. I got used to it, honestly.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

"Duty Belt" and "Driving Comfortable" are two terms that just do not mesh....

Comment

Yup yup. Comfort is a luxury that those of us in the field usually don't receive.

I agree with what Nathan said, however, about keeping smaller, softer items on your backside. I kept my (Yes, Accumold! WOO!) glove/pager pouch in the center of my back, with my latex gloves in it. On either side, was a single glove case. All of my larger, longer items were kept to the sides/front. So the comfort/support of the seat wasn't too terribly bad for me. The bigger problem I had when doing patrol, was getting the damned seat belt to buckle over my gun holster. Now THAT was a pain... lol
          Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
          Originally posted by ValleyOne
          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
          Shoulda called in sick.
          Be safe!

Comment

I recall some company (or person) made a kind of seat cusion that has a cavity like section for such things. I'm not sure it was something a person made on thier own or if this is a commercially availible thing.
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

The best solution... don't wear anything between the rear pants pockets. Far more comfortable when you are in a car for hours on end, and saves you when you fall on your back. A glove pouch (or anything for that matter) in the small of your back opens you up to a world of hurt and lost time.
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I carry as little as possible on the back side of my duty belt. I carry 6 shotgun rounds in back but they don't bother me much. Just gotta keep checking 'em when I get in and out of my vehicle a lot. They sometimes tend to work there way up out of the loops.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Biggest problem I have is velcro closures getting caught and opening. Have'ntlost anything.....yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
                    Biggest problem I have is velcro closures getting caught and opening. Have'ntlost anything.....yet.
                    That's why I perfer the hidden snaps. I used to have problems with the seatbelt catching on my speedloaders or my OC case (MK-IV Accumold, so the flap rested above the seatbelt), or on my handcuff case or Stinger case (the flapped kind that you couldn't find for like 5 years, also Accumold...)
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Oy Vey...

I can tell you, '06 Subaru Forrester's are not designed for driving comfort (with duty belt or sans such)...

This is my setup...

Not bad weightwise, I'm left handed so natch my cuffs and spray are on the left (unfortunatley, these being the heaviest items); But, seeing as how half my patrol involves driving, having some of the items on my belt moved forward would be equally uncomfortable (No way do I want a Stinger case jammed into my front left thight for 6+ hours)...
                      Last edited by flashlightcop509; 12-07-2006, 07:52 AM.
                      “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                      "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

A friend of mine solved this problem (for him, anyway) by purchasing one of the 5.11 Tactical Mesh Concealment Vests, and the pouches for it.

He put everything except his pistol on the vest, sewed a company badge patch on, and wore that over his uniform shirt (the company he works for wears navy blue BDUs). I know, I know. You're thinking it would look WAY to0 Tactical, but actually it didn't look so bad. And, it got everything off his hips and away from his back.

Now I just need to convince my bosses that it's a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by cp73
                          A friend of mine solved this problem (for him, anyway) by purchasing one of the 5.11 Tactical Mesh Concealment Vests, and the pouches for it.

He put everything except his pistol on the vest, sewed a company badge patch on, and wore that over his uniform shirt (the company he works for wears navy blue BDUs). I know, I know. You're thinking it would look WAY to0 Tactical, but actually it didn't look so bad. And, it got everything off his hips and away from his back.

Now I just need to convince my bosses that it's a good idea
                          I just got the 5.11 jacket 5-in-one jacket.... I love it so far...
                          The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Investigator
                            I carry as little as possible on the back side of my duty belt. I carry 6 shotgun rounds in back but they don't bother me much. Just gotta keep checking 'em when I get in and out of my vehicle a lot. They sometimes tend to work there way up out of the loops.
                            You carry a shotgun with you every time you exit the vehicle?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                              You carry a shotgun with you every time you exit the vehicle?
                              It sounds to me like he just carries the rounds on his belt. Probably something like this...

"Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X