Does your state regulate your badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michigan tops them all boys!
    we MUST wear RED half moon patches on our arms and a red and white strip above the left pocket that says SECURITY. Tha approved badge for Michigan is the boston fire badge. it says security on top guard on the bottom, and has a star in the center. a very small badge. Valor since it is a national company had to design a "Michigan Badge" since EVERY OTHER PLACE we wear the eagle/shield badge. The Michigan badge is a maltese cross/ starburst type ( like the NYPD dick shield with the bottom off.) with the words valor security service on it.

The Michigan State Police have ahard on for security companies! I guess to much abuse in the past!

Koz
    USAF SECURITY POLICE....AMERICAS 911

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
      don't forget a cup of coffee, sweet roll, and newspaper.
      It's ironic that you mentioned newspaper because we are required to get the papers ready for pick-up by the morning employees. Your paper sir....
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Firemankoz
        Michigan tops them all boys!
        we MUST wear RED half moon patches on our arms and a red and white strip above the left pocket that says SECURITY. Tha approved badge for Michigan is the boston fire badge. it says security on top guard on the bottom, and has a star in the center. a very small badge. Valor since it is a national company had to design a "Michigan Badge" since EVERY OTHER PLACE we wear the eagle/shield badge. The Michigan badge is a maltese cross/ starburst type ( like the NYPD dick shield with the bottom off.) with the words valor security service on it.

The Michigan State Police have ahard on for security companies! I guess to much abuse in the past!

Koz
        I'd love to see it. Can you post a picture?

Comment

No you'll laugh to hard!
          We also wear a white shirt, navy pants with a grey stripe, and the navy trooper hat. winter we wear the blue turtle neck under the long sleeve shirt..
          ( I hate ties) and summer short sleeves, allthough I am in short sleeves year round!..........tried to send pix but file is to large, give me your e-mail and I'll send them to ya
          Koz
          USAF SECURITY POLICE....AMERICAS 911

Comment

No you'll laugh to hard!
            We also wear a white shirt, navy pants with a grey stripe, and the navy trooper hat. winter we wear the blue turtle neck under the long sleeve shirt..
            ( I hate ties) and summer short sleeves, allthough I am in short sleeves year round!..........tried to send pix but file is to large, give me your e-mail and I'll send them to ya
            Koz
            That sounds like it wouldn't look as bad if the shirt was navy like the pants instead of white.
            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
              If I remember the statute correctly, the law does not apply to badges manufactured before 2003 so as not to place an undue financial burden on any company. So don't retire/replace any of your decent looking badges if you can help it.
              So this regulation to have a square patch for a badge is recent? omg
              "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                So this regulation to have a square patch for a badge is recent? omg
                That's a "roger." It can be made out of metal, but it must be square. That makes us look "square!" If you work "in-house" security, the law doesn't apply...YET.

Comment

That's a "roger." It can be made out of metal, but it must be square. That makes us look "square!" If you work "in-house" security, the law doesn't apply...YET.
                  Does the regulation extend to the uniform as well, as in you have to wear a blazer or a white or dookie brown shirt too?
                  It would be amusing to see a company there wearing a police style or military style uniform with a little rectangular badge over the left pocket with other fruit salad pins over the right pocket.

Comment

Does the regulation extend to the uniform as well, as in you have to wear a blazer or a white or dookie brown shirt too?
                    It would be amusing to see a company there wearing a police style or military style uniform with a little rectangular badge over the left pocket with other fruit salad pins over the right pocket.
                    I'm not aware of any regulation that mandates the blazer look. There are guards in the area that wear the traditional uniform one thinks of when you mention security, along with the required goofy-looking square badge. They are usually stationed at production/industrial facilities. Just about all corporate sites opt for the blazer look. Thus the confusion with the valet, bellhop, etc., man.

Comment

I wish to see this uniform. my username !at! cityscape solutions dot |net|.

Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

No you'll laugh to hard!
                        Koz
                        E-mail sent.

Comment

from Kathootzie.........

Lately, I have been getting some pressure to wear a square badge. I can't stand the way they look...a big square hunk of ugly metal with minimal design. I'd rather not wear any badge than pin that embarrassing hunk of scrap metal on to my jacket. If I am forced to wear it, I'll start changing into my street clothes before leaving work.

I think this is just another step to take away whatever little dignity s/o's have left.

I agree with you entirely. I worked hard studying and going to classes to complete security officer training, and took the state test (and passed), got bonded, got my background checks completed, etc. all because I was dedicated to becoming a successful, professional security officer. This is what I want to do, and I will always do my very best at it. I am very proud of it. I think all security officers should be proud of what they do. We are needed. We are there to protect employees, customers, and property. We do more than observe and report. We have a very honorable job. Bravo to us!

Comment

Originally posted by Marchetti, David, M
                            I started in 1985 and it's always been fugly square badges for us and yes they loook stupid to say the least.
                            FYI: My posts are based on Connecticut Public Act #04-192, Section 34, effective 10/01/04. Many contract companies, Guardsmark, Securitas, Wachenhut, etc., used badges that were not square before this act.

A letter from the Department of Public Safety, Division of State Police, Special Licensing & Firearms Unit, issued by LT. James DeFelice, Commanding Officer, also states:

"To avoid undue expense or hardship on the security service companies, new or replacement badges purchased in the future must conform to the newly prescribed badge as required by Connecticut Public Act #04-192."

Comment

Maybe that state will also be kind enough to issue striped baseball caps with a propeller on top.

Comment

Maybe that state will also be kind enough to issue striped baseball caps with a propeller on top.
                                Please - don't give them any ideas!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X