Does your state regulate your badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
    I do like being a "cop." I put that in quotes because while the duties of a peace officer are very similar to those of a police officer (there's only 2 things police can do that we can't), MY job is far more about security than law enforcement. This is a better home for me than O.com.

I'm just curious, why are you running my answers by a NYS Trooper? He will have no idea where I work and more than likely has never had any interaction with peace officers outside of a Correctional Facility. If you want to verify my answers as true procedures, check out a copy of NYS CPL. It clearly outlines the roles of peace and police officers.
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

Because police officers need to be employed by a government agency, whether it be state or local. I don't work for a public entity, it is a completely private college, we can't be police officers.
      Hmm Yale and Harvard are government agencies? Thought those was private colleges could be wrong (seriously I might be) but I DO know that they BOTH employ Police Officers

Comment

• Originally posted by GCMC Security
        Hmm Yale and Harvard are government agencies? Thought those was private colleges could be wrong (seriously I might be) but I DO know that they BOTH employ Police Officers
        Yale: Conn.
        Harvard: Mass.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Neither Yale or Harvard are in the State of New York.
          Ok so in the State of New York, police officers can only be employed by an Govt Agency? Got ya

Comment

• [QUOTE=EMTFirefighter]Because police officers need to be employed by a government agency, whether it be state or local. I don't work for a public entity, it is a completely private college, we can't be police officers.

QUOTE]

Did I not read a few years ago that Purolator Courrier company had their own Police Force?

In Canada you can be a Police Officer under the railway act. Canadian Pacific Railway is a private company & the police are Special Constables.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• Wow!

I am a security officer.
              My job is to observe and report.
              My job is to protect the individuals and property on my post.
              I do this by being alert,aware of my environment and serious about my work.
              My personal motto is this."The police enforce the law.I prevent the law from being broken".
              My father -in law is a retired state police officer from New Mexico and i have a great deal of respect for him and those in his profession.I also know that as a security officer i dont have the same respect from many of his peers.I would only ask this one thing.If you are a registered peace officer,please dont come here to put us down.Don't talk down to us like we are idiots.In many states we do this job without any more arrest powers than a citizens arrest.We have to rely on our wits and professionalism to keep us out of trouble.Most of us dont have thousands of dollars of gear issued by our department.We do this job because we enjoy it.I was a little disappointed when i saw some of the posts here,,now i'm mad.This is my first post.I would like to enjoy these forums and learn from them,not defend my profession to some private university almost cop who desperately wants to prove how much cooler he is than everyone on these forums.This is in no way a slam on private institution police officers,just this specific one.

Comment

• Originally posted by zharn
                I am a security officer.
                My personal motto is this."The police enforce the law.I prevent the law from being broken".
                My father -in law is a retired state police officer from New Mexico and i have a great deal of respect for him and those in his profession.I also know that as a security officer i dont have the same respect from many of his peers.I would only ask this one thing.If you are a registered peace officer,please dont come here to put us down.Don't talk down to us like we are idiots.In many states we do this job without any more arrest powers than a citizens arrest.We have to rely on our wits and professionalism to keep us out of trouble.Most of us dont have thousands of dollars of gear issued by our department.We do this job because we enjoy it.I was a little disappointed when i saw some of the posts here,,now i'm mad.This is my first post.I would like to enjoy these forums and learn from them,not defend my profession to some private university almost cop who desperately wants to prove how much cooler he is than everyone on these forums.This is in no way a slam on private institution police officers,just this specific one.
                Well said. There are some who come to the forum to try to punch holes in our profession. We for our part should ignore them or pat them on the head and hope they go away.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

• Welcome zharn,

Originally posted by zharn
                  I am a security officer.

zharn,

I think we have all agreed to keep this forum professional and to learn from each other.

I think that the University Officer was just a little young and gung ho and will grow and mature if he stays in this business for very long.

I am commissioned in the Great State of Texas also as I do business there sometimes. Good to have you aboard.

Comment

Speaking for Connecticut, Yale officers recieve thier police powers through the city of New Haven. Thier shield is a city shield like a New Haven patrolman, the only difference being the number series. As essientially New Haven officers they have authority citywide. Originally 2 New Haven patrolman were assigned to the Yale Campus until Yale petitioned the state for thier own police force. Yale remains the last non-governmental police force in the state. I believe Harvard officers are commisioned through Cambridge and derive thier authority from that town.
                    Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

• mutual understanding

I will admit i was insulted and angry and i let that affect my post.I should not have made it a personal attack.That was wrong.I have no problems with differing opinions and we can agree to disagree.I hope that we can all state those opinions with respect and deference to to others in the forum.Lets all remember the simple fact that we are all wearers of a badge that makes us targets of those who would break the law and endanger those who are least able to protect themselves.lets consider the "all clear" between us.i dont have any wish to get into a pissing contest. in answer to the original question(before i got onto my soapbox) as far as i know texas only requires your badge not resemble the law enforcement agencies in your area.This aslo extends to your uniform.We wear navy shirts,with black pants (no stripes),black tie on some posts and our badge is a six pointer in brass.

Comment

• Originally posted by talon
                        zharn,

I think we have all agreed to keep this forum professional and to learn from each other.

I think that the University Officer was just a little young and gung ho and will grow and mature if he stays in this business for very long.

I am commissioned in the Great State of Texas also as I do business there sometimes. Good to have you aboard.
                        Which University officer?
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, I haven't been doing this as long as you have, but I hope to keep my record going for awhile.
                          How long have you been on the job? I have been a policeman for 19 years and I don't know anyone (including prosectors) that has a 100% conviction rate.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ycaso77
                            Speaking for Connecticut, Yale officers recieve thier police powers through the city of New Haven. Thier shield is a city shield like a New Haven patrolman, the only difference being the number series. As essientially New Haven officers they have authority citywide. Originally 2 New Haven patrolman were assigned to the Yale Campus until Yale petitioned the state for thier own police force. Yale remains the last non-governmental police force in the state. I believe Harvard officers are commisioned through Cambridge and derive thier authority from that town.
                            Thank you for clearing that up, like I said I wasn't sure.

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up, like I said I wasn't sure.
                              Its a unique situation in the state, and a lot of people here aren't quite sure of thier status. The Yale-New Haven Hospital had its own police force until quite recently under the same general conditions. However they lost thier police powers through political grandstanding and an attempt to get a few more votes by the mayor. Oddly enough the hospital security still requires graduation and certification from a POST certified academy within the last 3 years before applying. They still make upwards of 22.00 and hour and seem to be waiting for the mayor to leave office and apply for a reinstatement of police powers. Anyone else suffer from local political infighting on thier job?
                              Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

• Clarification...

Originally posted by Tennsix
                                Which University officer?

Tennsix,

I would never make the mistake of calling you young. So... you know, the other one.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X