Does your state regulate your badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your state regulate your badge?

Are you required to wear a square badge where you work? If not, what kind do you wear?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Are you required to wear a square badge where you work? If not, what kind do you wear?
    As far as I can find out, only the States of New Jersey and New York require square badges.

Florida restricts the State Seal to Law Enforcement Officials only. They restrict 5-pointed stars to Sheriffs and their deputies (Other LE Agencies may not use them, either), along with a special version of the State Seal with a state outline superimposed over the seal.

My state dosen't regulate badges other than you may not have a badge or credential that gives the apperance of public authority. We may have Wisconsin State Seals on our badges, and our shoulder patches. So long as the person reading the badge dosen't confuse you with a public police officer, your fine.

Example: Kenosha Private Police have badges that say just that. "Officer," "Kenosha Private Police," "Wisconsin". They have a WI Great Seal on their badge. "Obviously," they are not public police as it says "Private Police" on the badge.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      As far as I can find out, only the States of New Jersey and New York require square badges.
      I believe Conn. does as well.

Comment

Yup. N A is right about the badges for N.Y.S. and F.L.

When I started working down here I almost freaked. I thought my company had a five point badge . I counted the points and found it was really six. My uniform looks like a bad rip off of the Alachua Co. Sheriffs uniform.
        "Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" Rudyard Kuipling"

Comment

our uniforms look like pinellas park, clearwater, tampa, and indian rocks police
          "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Actually, EDI's uniform looks like everybody else's: Los Angeles Police Deparment. If it wasn't for everyone up here wearing it, I'd of went with LAPD Navy as well. I selected "Nickel Grey" with black tie, the really dark silver, so that we're obviously not the local police agency.

Their armed officers wear Marine Corps NCO uniforms: Khaki shirts, blue pants.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Oregon's only stipulation is as N.A. mentioned, 'State Seal is for LEO's only'... other than that, anything's fair game...

Not positive, but I believe Washington is the same way...

Previous agencies I've worked for had a wide variety of badges... from a regular shield, to LAPD "oval" style, to 7-pt stars... even a US Marshalls style (5-pt star inside a ring).... as long as the State Seal wasn't on it, it was fine..
              Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
              Originally posted by ValleyOne
              BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
              Shoulda called in sick.
              Be safe!

Comment

not ne more we all wear navy blue now even armed
                "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
                  not ne more we all wear navy blue now even armed
                  Damn it, I liked the other shirts better.

Comment

Each security company in Texas has to submit color photographs to the Department of Public Safety in Austin along with a registered company profile. Once the uniform is approved it is what the officers in the company are required to wear. The minimum requirement for the uniform is a name tag with a last name on it, a patch with the name of the company on the left shoulder, and the word "security" printed clearly somewhere on the uniform. There is no specific requirement for the color of the uniform or the style of badge. If armed, all weapons must be worn in plain view with the full uniform and a pocket card must be kept on the person.
                    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                      LOL..no we wear regular badges here. I kept hearing the term "square badge"..I didn't even know what one was till I talked to an officer from the east coast. I'd imagine they look ridiculous.

btw welcome back Mr. Security.

Comment

Our badges are just generic shields with SECURITY OFFICER on them that you can order out of any number of Law Enforcement catalogs (Galls, etc.) for about 9 bucks.
                        Louisiana law says that the badge only can't resemble the one used by Louisiana State Police. I remember when they passed it because I was working for Dept of Corrections and our badges were in the shape of the State similar to what LSP wore. We had to swap out our badges for Shield style badges with DOC markings. I had never seen it personally but I was told that some Correctional Officers had been flashing the older types of badges and misrepresenting themselves as Troopers. Also, some security companies and police agencies had badges in the same style and had problems with misrepresentation too. Now the only ones with the unique badges are Troopers and the poor Corrections Officers have to find another way to impress the girls at the bar.
                        Also, Louisiana says- " No badge or insignia with the initials "SP" or "SO"
                        may be worn on the uniform of a registrant." Guess that's to keep you from claiming to be State Police or a Sheriff's Officer.

Steve,
                        EMT/Security Officer
                        Last edited by EMTGuard; 12-17-2005, 01:07 PM.
                        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
                          LOL..no we wear regular badges here. I kept hearing the term "square badge"..I didn't even know what one was till I talked to an officer from the east coast. I'd imagine they look ridiculous.

Quartermaster Uniforms sells them, take a look. www.qmuniforms.com

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor

Thanks Mayor. And yes, they look stupid.

Comment

Lately, I have been getting some pressure to wear a square badge. I can't stand the way they look...a big square hunk of ugly metal with minimal design. I'd rather not wear any badge than pin that embarrassing hunk of scrap metal on to my jacket. If I am forced to wear it, I'll start changing into my street clothes before leaving work.

I think this is just another step to take away whatever little dignity s/o's have left.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X