Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the Washington State Patrol first formed their aggressive driving team they started by using patrol cars disguised as taxis. It was interesting to see a taxi cab with red and blue lights flashing. I don't think they use the taxis anymore but they use just about everything else - Volvos, Impalas, Suburban / Tahoe, various pickups, camaros, corvettes, mustangs, etc.

Comment

Yeah, I havent seen any of them in Taxis lately... but WA Traffic Safety Commission just developed the "TACT" program, which is "Ticketing Aggresive Cars and Trucks". The WSP Teams up with Local agencies and they drive up and down the freeway in unmarked cars... a Couple Troopers ride in Semi-Trucks so they can oversee the freeway and call out violations such as following too close, driving in the left lane with a trailer, semis in left lane, obvious speeding violations, people cutting people off, then the unmarkeds go after them.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
        Yeah, I havent seen any of them in Taxis lately... but WA Traffic Safety Commission just developed the "TACT" program, which is "Ticketing Aggresive Cars and Trucks". The WSP Teams up with Local agencies and they drive up and down the freeway in unmarked cars... a Couple Troopers ride in Semi-Trucks so they can oversee the freeway and call out violations such as following too close, driving in the left lane with a trailer, semis in left lane, obvious speeding violations, people cutting people off, then the unmarkeds go after them.
        It's a never-ending battle. I think Germany's autobahn is interesting. Apparently, they have all kinds of moving violation detection equipment and once a driver violates the traffic code, a picture of the license plate is taken and the owner receives a ticket. Their detectors are more sophisticated than the cameras installed at some intersections here in the U.S.

Like I've said, $$$$ has a way of getting people's attention when all else fails.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
          Boeing actually started that. The transportation guys that you see driving the Boeing semi trucks around got tired of the crappy drivers and called the state patrol. Boeing suggested a trooper ride along and WSP agreed. The program was successful and I think it might be going national. Some of the boeing trucks drive around with a huge WSP logo emblazoned on their side along with a safety slogan.

Comment

WSP has less to do with it, it is more of a WTSC program than it is WSP. I do not think it effects the State Patrol budget... i.e. the overtime to local and county patrol officers is coming out of Traffic Safety commission, not state patrol.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
              That's what I was thinking. I guess if you want to work undercover and blend in with traffic, then that would be a great color for NYC.
              I remember seeing squads for the NYC Taxi Commission that were real taxis with red and blue lights, painted identical to NYC Taxis, except above the fare rate (they must of posted it to show what it should be) it said POLICE VEHICLE - NOT FOR HIRE or some such thing.

Who can find a picture of em?
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Montreal Police used photo radar about 20 years ago. The camera would take a photo of the car, a close up of the license plate & a photo of the radar read-out. They would then mail you a ticket. This was stopped when the points system for driver's licenses was started. There was no way of knowing who was driving the vehicle. You could not take the points off the driver's license of the owner if it was not him driving.
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  It's a never-ending battle. I think Germany's autobahn is interesting. Apparently, they have all kinds of moving violation detection equipment and once a driver violates the traffic code, a picture of the license plate is taken and the owner receives a ticket. Their detectors are more sophisticated than the cameras installed at some intersections here in the U.S.

Like I've said, $$$$ has a way of getting people's attention when all else fails.
                  I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                  -Lieutenant Commander Data
                  sigpic

Comment

2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Anyone got photos? I posted mine earlier. Lets see your rides.
                      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I think this one has them all beat...Saw this today, in the upscale housing area where a friend of the family lives. Keep in mind the houses there run $800k on the very low end. Yes, that's a Land Rover Discovery...

Comment

That would be a great patrol vehicle, esp. if your duties involve giving a lot of safety escourts to people

Comment

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
                            That would be a great patrol vehicle, esp. if your duties involve giving a lot of safety escourts to people
                            The concept of putting anyone but an employee of the company, even a client's employee, in a patrol vehicle still scares me. Your insurance isn't going to cover that.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Here's what I want! (On 2nd thought with the price of gas these days!!) http://policecanada.policecanada.org...teQC001_PB.jpg
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

At least its not an H2.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X