Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
    Make sure you spell it correctly on the sign...
    Most non French commercial signs in any language other that French is illegal in Quebec. SECURITE (but with accents over the Es) is French for SECURITY. (You learn something new everyday ). Most North Americans can figure out that SECURITE means SECURITY. It's the Asian guests & others that don't use the same alphabet that have problems. Espeically in the past when our identification was just a name tag with SECURITE written on it instead of a name. This is one of the reasons we changed to a shield shaped badge.

    Some other terms are sometimes used to get around the law. SURVEILLANCE & PROTECTION are bilingual.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by HotelSecurity
      Most non French commercial signs in any language other that French is illegal in Quebec. SECURITE (but with accents over the Es) is French for SECURITY. (You learn something new everyday ). Most North Americans can figure out that SECURITE means SECURITY. It's the Asian guests & others that don't use the same alphabet that have problems. Espeically in the past when our identification was just a name tag with SECURITE written on it instead of a name. This is one of the reasons we changed to a shield shaped badge.

      Some other terms are sometimes used to get around the law. SURVEILLANCE & PROTECTION are bilingual.
      Do all your parking and tow forms have to be in French, too? I always wondered how far that "Must be French" rule went up there.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

      "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

      Comment


      • #63
        Oui. I mean yes . Other languages are allowed in certain cases but French must be prominent. Not to get political but you can't blame them. They were here first (after the native North Americans) & are completely surrounded by English. They had to do something to protect their language.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

        Comment


        • #64
          Security vehicles

          Where I work we have a mixer of vehicles that our owned by the client. Up untill last year we used 2002 Ford Escapes, but our current fleet is a mixture of 2005 Ford Freestars, Explorers, and Crown Vics.

          Comment


          • #65
            My company patrol car is a 2004 Chevrolet Optra. When I say Chevrolet, I mean Chevrolet/Daewoo since the manufacture of the car was some weird GM-Daewoo misconception.

            The car is driven mostly at night and yes..you guessed it, the headlights have blown out numerous times, as well as the marker lights. Of course, the engineering geniuses that dreamed up this car made it so that changing the headlight bulbs have to be done by a mechanic (the headlight assembly has to be lifted out of the mounts).

            We have no siren or flashing lights, strobes or anything that would make this vehicle look like a real professional security patrol car, although it is a black car with our company name on the doors (so much better than a magnetic sign).

            The car has a nice set of interior map lights which make for easy report writing (which I do a lot of). It also has automatic locks (prevents from accidently locking the keys inside) and automatic windows (which comes in handy).

            The car has an AM/FM/CD/Mp3 Player but I tend not to listen to it unless I have a long stretch between patrol stops.

            It's got nice pick up overall and is comfortable as I spend anywhere from 6 to 12 hours in it.

            The car was into the dealer for a power steering repair where the dealer had to wait almost a week for parts and I was stuck with a 2006 tan Chevrolet Cobalt as a loaner car. It came with AM/FM (no CD player), manual windows, manual door locks and was so NOT a good patrol car substitute.

            Comment


            • #66
              Wow, been awhile since I saw this thread. To answer NA Crobrier's question a while ago red lights are pretty common here in WA (not sure about the sirens). Officailly security can only have amber or amber / clear. However, most police departments will allow red lights if the following is met. 1) You absolutely positively without a doubt do not drive on a public roadway with them activated (no code runs for security). 2) The vehicle cannot be mistaken for a police car. So no crown vics with full size red lightbars. 3) You get permission. Boeing has red lights and sirens because we have an agreement through the state as well as local municipalities. We also undergo CEVOII training (EVOC type course). This type of privelage is limited to us, a few hospitials (think Harborview), colleges / universities and a few federal installations. The only companies I have seen with redlights on their patrol cars have been Boeing, Harborview security, Everett community college, South Puget Sound Community College, High Alert security, and Securitas.
              Last edited by Michael Ledgerwood; 04-22-2006, 12:05 PM.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
                Wow, been awhile since I saw this thread. To answer NA Crobrier's question a while ago red lights are pretty common here in WA (not sure about the sirens). Officailly security can only have amber or amber / clear. However, most police departments will allow red lights if the following is met. 1) You absolutely positively without a doubt do not drive on a public roadway with them activated (no code runs for security). 2) The vehicle cannot be mistaken for a police car. So no crown vics with full size red lightbars. 3) You get permission. Boeing has red lights and sirens because we have an agreement through the state as well as local municipalities. We also undergo CEVOII training (EVOC type course). This type of privelage is limited to us, a few hospitials (think Harborview), colleges / universities and a few federal installations. The only companies I have seen with redlights on their patrol cars have been Boeing, Harborview security, Everett community college, South Puget Sound Community College, High Alert security, and Securitas.
                Agreed. I've been running a red dash light for months now, and the local cops have never even questioned it. Like Michael said, as long as the vehicle is obviously not LEO related, they don't really care.
                Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                Originally posted by ValleyOne
                BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                Shoulda called in sick.
                Be safe!

                Comment


                • #68
                  ... but if they wanted to get snipy there is an RCW, in Title 46 I believe that says no vehicle shall have a forward burning red light other than LE or Rescue.
                  "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                  "The Curve" 1998

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                    ... but if they wanted to get snipy there is an RCW, in Title 46 I believe that says no vehicle shall have a forward burning red light other than LE or Rescue.
                    Your absolutely correct so good relations with police is a must, you abuse it and that department just got themselves a new light. Boeing and some hospiatals are excempt though. Boeing has permission through WSP. A long long time ago, Seattle PD got pissed because Boeing had red lights and sirens. SPD wanted them to take them off. Boeing said fine we will get rid of it but next time you need our Fire Dept to respond to a crash or help out, or to train any of your response personell you can forget it. Needless to say SPD relented.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
                      Your absolutely correct so good relations with police is a must....
                      This is true with most matters. The police have the discretion to enforce an ordinance or not make an issue out of it. The police here don't bother us over the little stuff. We stay out of their hair, respect their turf, and try not to call them unless we need to. The state police tend to be stricter about things.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
                        Your absolutely correct so good relations with police is a must, you abuse it and that department just got themselves a new light. Boeing and some hospiatals are excempt though. Boeing has permission through WSP. A long long time ago, Seattle PD got pissed because Boeing had red lights and sirens. SPD wanted them to take them off. Boeing said fine we will get rid of it but next time you need our Fire Dept to respond to a crash or help out, or to train any of your response personell you can forget it. Needless to say SPD relented.
                        Some suburbs & boroughs of the city of Montreal have Securite Publique (Public Security) units. They patrols the parks & municipal buildings & enforce by-laws. One city had black cars with white doors. They put red flashers on the roof. The Montreal Police forced them to remove them, saying that they looked too much like police cars from the US. They ended up, like most of the other cities & boroughs, painting their units yellow so they couldn't be mistaken as police.

                        Another borough which had Securite Publique had to change to "Surveillance du Territoire". In this case the Surete du Quebec (Provincial Police) complained that Securite also means safety in French. Securite Publique could be confused as Public Safety, which again is used by some police forces.
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                          Some suburbs & boroughs of the city of Montreal have Securite Publique (Public Security) units. They patrols the parks & municipal buildings & enforce by-laws. One city had black cars with white doors. They put red flashers on the roof. The Montreal Police forced them to remove them, saying that they looked too much like police cars from the US. They ended up, like most of the other cities & boroughs, painting their units yellow so they couldn't be mistaken as police.

                          Another borough which had Securite Publique had to change to "Surveillance du Territoire". In this case the Surete du Quebec (Provincial Police) complained that Securite also means safety in French. Securite Publique could be confused as Public Safety, which again is used by some police forces.
                          Yellow? Gross. Do they get mistaken for Yellow Taxi?
                          "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by 1stWatch
                            Yellow? Gross. Do they get mistaken for Yellow Taxi?
                            That's what I was thinking. I guess if you want to work undercover and blend in with traffic, then that would be a great color for NYC.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Mr. Security
                              That's what I was thinking. I guess if you want to work undercover and blend in with traffic, then that would be a great color for NYC.
                              I have seen the state police drive yellow DOT pick-up trucks to on the interstate. Shooting fish a in a barrell!
                              I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                              -Lieutenant Commander Data
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by Tennsix
                                I have seen the state police drive yellow DOT pick-up trucks to on the interstate. Shooting fish a in a barrell!
                                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X