Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Ledgerwood
    I drive 2005 Chev Impala with federal signal Vista light bar in red and smartsiren, prisoner screen, push bars, etc. We will be switching to Colorado pickups and slick top warning lights. I wish my company would spring for laptops in patrol cars, were already wired better for wireless acess than most cities and have a good firewall so information security is not a problem. but they won't do it oh well.
    If you folks generate alot of paperwork, try a proposal that will demonstrate the lessening of paperwork creation, storage, tracking, and archiving costs.

However, you have to have a good proposal to offset the additional man-hours time in training, installation, etc. And, of course, have a good paperless records management system.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      If you folks generate alot of paperwork, try a proposal that will demonstrate the lessening of paperwork creation, storage, tracking, and archiving costs.

However, you have to have a good proposal to offset the additional man-hours time in training, installation, etc. And, of course, have a good paperless records management system.
      We generate a lot of paperwork, however we already do it on the computer. We currently have to go to one of the security gates to type our reports which isn't a problem. My problem is we have thousands of employees at this one site not to mention certain areas are pubically accesible. We have no way of running someone to verify their employee status or to run cars. Currently we have to have our dispatch run cars. I have brought the issue up several times and have been told they wont do it. Its just frustrating to see us have the tools but not properly utilized. Oh well I am sure that one day they will decide to do it. Time will tell.

Comment

How do you run cars? DMV, or Boeing Personnel Records? Then again, before I moved up here, I would of never thought that a security agency could run anything remotely like red lights, sirens, etc.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

How do you run cars? DMV, or Boeing Personnel Records? Then again, before I moved up here, I would of never thought that a security agency could run anything remotely like red lights, sirens, etc.
          In Washington there is something known as VIPS: Vehicle/Vessel Information Processing System. You can type in a license plate and it comes up with the registered owner, their address, VIN number, vehicle make and model, color, year, etc., down to how much they paid to license the vehicle.

I'm not sure if that is what Ledgerwood uses, but that is one option.
          10-8

Comment

Originally posted by Taser
            In Washington there is something known as VIPS: Vehicle/Vessel Information Processing System. You can type in a license plate and it comes up with the registered owner, their address, VIN number, vehicle make and model, color, year, etc., down to how much they paid to license the vehicle.

I'm not sure if that is what Ledgerwood uses, but that is one option.
            I know of information clearinghouses that allow DMV runs, but you have to be a licensed PI company to access that information. What you speak of reminds me of a Florida Tax Collector's tag system, which was LE/PI/Surety Bondsman only.

I was thinking more that on Boeing's campus, running the tag through the personnel system might be more useful. After all, if it dosen't show up, it better have a reason for being on Boeing property. I'd say that's "probable cause" to make a stop, but hell, its private property. The old man on his porch has never needed PC to yell, "You kids get off my damn lawn!"

Comment

I know of information clearinghouses that allow DMV runs, but you have to be a licensed PI company to access that information. What you speak of reminds me of a Florida Tax Collector's tag system, which was LE/PI/Surety Bondsman only.

I was thinking more that on Boeing's campus, running the tag through the personnel system might be more useful. After all, if it dosen't show up, it better have a reason for being on Boeing property. I'd say that's "probable cause" to make a stop, but hell, its private property. The old man on his porch has never needed PC to yell, "You kids get off my damn lawn!"
              I know of at least one in-house security agency that uses this system. They are at a private university. I'm sure many others do as well.

But having Boeing employees register their cars with Boeing would also make sense. In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a system like that.
              10-8

Comment

Vehicle

Currently driving a brand new toyota camry,Crashed the old one,very wet slippery road she wouldn't stop wrecked the front end.Government car so plenty of paper work after the accident.
                We haven't had trouble for a while, Let's cancel security!

Comment

We use VIPS at my company in Seattle, but have to run it over the radio to the dispatcher.

I've seen the Boeing cars and they are slick, except the one that almost hit me walking through a shared site in Tukwila.
                  Liability is never above officer safety. Do what you must to make sure you go home safe.

William-2, 10-6 for 105. Yep, I'm at Starbucks!

I may be gay, but I'll eff you up!

Personal Web Site

Cheap, Quality Web Design! Put a great cop on the beat by helping with my tuition! :-D

Comment

I don't have much use for a patrol vehicle. I work at one large building and I don't transport prisoners. It would be cool to have the cruiser with the strobes and sirens and all those toys though.

Comment

At my site it's a toss up between one of our '06 Subaru Foresters or a '03 Jeep Liberty; Cuz you just gotta have AWD on Killington in the winter...

Outfitted with Gall's Wig Wag and taillight flashers and that's about it; The Jeep also has a Gall's flip down visor light.
                      “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                      "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by wvd1979
                        I don't have much use for a patrol vehicle. I work at one large building and I don't transport prisoners. It would be cool to have the cruiser with the strobes and sirens and all those toys though.

That would look intresting in the building's stair-wells. I'm sure the hallways would be a manuviering problem.

Comment

Originally posted by exguard
                          That would look intresting in the building's stair-wells. I'm sure the hallways would be a manuviering problem.
                          Actually if I had some kind of little tiny thing like a Jeep Liberty I could probably maneuver it around. Ideally I should have a 4 wheeler with a blue strobe light that I could drive around the cubicle farm.

Comment

We have 3 Crown Vics, 1 Impala, 2 Toyota Highlander Hybrids, I Montana Minivan and a Subaru wagon all with full graphics and the amber whelan lightbars. Plus two unmarked crown vics. Everything is done in the police garage so its easy for maintenance, graphics and lightbars.
                            Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

The downtown hotel is a 25 story high-rise so we use our feet & 6 elevators

The 2 side-by-side hotels out by the airport have large open air ajoining parking lots. We borrow one of the shuttles buses to do the patrol.

When I'm feeling nasty I like to slowly patrol passing in front of the front doors of the hotel just before the real shuttle is to pass by to take people to the airport. It's fun to look in the rear view mirror & see people carrying large pieces of luggage running after you thinking they've missed the shuttle

(No...I don't really do that. In fact I've having large magnetic SECURITE signs made up to put on the vans so it will be clearer that we are not the shuttle).
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                                Make sure you spell it correctly on the sign...
                                It is, He's in Canada.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X