Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    So, they destroyed the resale value of the vehicle so that the employees couldn't listen to CDs or Radio. That's brilliant, really, brilliant. These guys must plan on running that thing into the ground - or it was one of their personal vehicles.
    Well it belongs to the client, who treats all of their fleet vehicles like #$%&. I mean, we're talking about instances like a 2004 Taurus that is sitting in their lot with 87 miles on it, rapidly dissolving from non-use (the tabs expired in Feburary). I was told by the client that someone driving it lost the keys, and the company refused to pay a locksmith or the dealer for new ones.

From what I was told by a regular officer there (hearsay, I know), one of the first people to drive the car was playing the stereo at an '11' on the dial when the client's president walked by.

Comment

Brilliant, all around.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

2001 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
        160,000 miles of service after being used 3 years as an Arlington, TX police car.
        Runs decently, great engine, but requires maintenance several times per week.
        Somebody had the bright idea of putting low profile tires on it - rough ride.
        The heater needs fixing, though, and it's starting to freeze.
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
          Well it belongs to the client, who treats all of their fleet vehicles like #$%&. I mean, we're talking about instances like a 2004 Taurus that is sitting in their lot with 87 miles on it, rapidly dissolving from non-use (the tabs expired in Feburary). I was told by the client that someone driving it lost the keys, and the company refused to pay a locksmith or the dealer for new ones.

From what I was told by a regular officer there (hearsay, I know), one of the first people to drive the car was playing the stereo at an '11' on the dial when the client's president walked by.
          Lots of that where I work. Steel plants are hell on vehicles. Lots of tire damage and the rust filled dust eats your paint job like road salt. None of the vehicles we use has the fuses in the radio either. Too many jerks cranking the volume. I once had a SO I worked with boast about how, when they got bored at night, they'd take the client car they used for patrol and go drive donuts and skids in the dirt pit in the back of the property. They might go out in the pickup they patrol the plant in and go mud riding down paths the bulldozers have trouble getting into. Just tearing up the car being stupid. Personally I don't see the appeal of trashing the vehicles just because I don't own them. Many people don't see it that way.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
            Lots of that where I work. Steel plants are hell on vehicles. Lots of tire damage and the rust filled dust eats your paint job like road salt. None of the vehicles we use has the fuses in the radio either. Too many jerks cranking the volume. I once had a SO I worked with boast about how, when they got bored at night, they'd take the client car they used for patrol and go drive donuts and skids in the dirt pit in the back of the property. They might go out in the pickup they patrol the plant in and go mud riding down paths the bulldozers have trouble getting into. Just tearing up the car being stupid. Personally I don't see the appeal of trashing the vehicles just because I don't own them. Many people don't see it that way.
            ^^^ Prime example of the low level of professionalism that gives security the bad reputation it has these days... These are the kind of morons we need to weed out..
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

Heh. You have to love idiots. I used to give a pick up truck hell, on an open air construction site. I'd thump through trails cut by the bulldozers. It was about the only way we could effectively get back into the area and deal with over 50,000 in equipment thefts. They, supposedly, stole BULLDOZERS.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

well i work for Control Security Group and we have the privalege of driving a 2004 honda CRV. This vehical origainaly had a full size 48" whelen 9000m on the top. But that crapped out, because the car couldn't handle it, and it was then stolen. So was a mini whelen that was bought to replace it. Anyways we are supposed to get a new 2006 Ford Escape. It will be the fleet model with a better setup for handling emergency equipment. Does anyone have experience with these? And if so what can u tell me?
                Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

[QUOTE=SEO_09This vehical origainaly had a full size 48" whelen 9000m on the top....... and it was then stolen. So was a mini whelen that was bought to replace it.[/QUOTE]

And this was a "SECURITY" vehicle??
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I want to know how you steal a light bar off the top of a truck, if its securely gutter-latched down.

Comment

Originally posted by SEO_09
                      well i work for Control Security Group and we have the privalege of driving a 2004 honda CRV. This vehical origainaly had a full size 48" whelen 9000m on the top. But that crapped out, because the car couldn't handle it, and it was then stolen. So was a mini whelen that was bought to replace it. Anyways we are supposed to get a new 2006 Ford Escape. It will be the fleet model with a better setup for handling emergency equipment. Does anyone have experience with these? And if so what can u tell me?

Always get the Fleet Model over the Civilian model. Fleet models are designed to accept heavier loads, using a heavier alternator. They also have thicker wires, and a dedicated power distribution block for hooking up "auxiliary lights."

You don't go hooking up a 35 amp light bar to a 100 amp alternator, when the car needs 80 amps of power to run. There's a reason police vehicles have huge alternators and double batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        Always get the Fleet Model over the Civilian model. Fleet models are designed to accept heavier loads, using a heavier alternator. They also have thicker wires, and a dedicated power distribution block for hooking up "auxiliary lights."

You don't go hooking up a 35 amp light bar to a 100 amp alternator, when the car needs 80 amps of power to run. There's a reason police vehicles have huge alternators and double batteries.
                        Driving a Toyota 4-Runner forever! This thing has been to the shop more times than my own car. It's all the stuff connected to it that brakes, the engine just keeps on going. Hide-a-strobes in the corner front and back lamps. Sometimes I think that even pushes it.

Whats that formula? watts = volts x amps?
                        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

The lightbar had to be removed because it was causing the truck to short out. By the way, many security companies have fullsize lightbars mounted on their vehicals.
                          Keeping the parking lots safe, hallways moving and the Chik Fil A busy.

Comment

Amp draw is a big problem with all this equipment... that's why the newer LED lightbars are becoming more & more popular... the entire bar uses less amps than the turn signals in some vehicles... No more humongous drain on the system...

The company I worked for previously (that drove the Impalas) used LED deck lights... and MAN were those things bright... awesome lights

Oh, and if cost is a concern, Galls actually has a new LED decklight for $109... called the Phantom or something like that... considering upgrading my lights to those here soon..
                            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                            Originally posted by ValleyOne
                            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                            Shoulda called in sick.
                            Be safe!

Comment

Galls is expensive as hell. Froogle (froogle.google.com) the name SVP Phantom. Most Galls Brand emergency equipment is actually ShowMe/Able 2, or Brooking Industries. Your paying for the Gall's name.

Comment

I will post a photo of me and my car soon.

Currently, my pathetic company has a few Ford Focuses (one of them being mine), Chevrolet Cavaliers (2003, not th enicer new ones), a Kia Rio that they feel they can keep fixing each week when it dies, and three Toyota Echos. Yes, Echos.

Our fancy contracts get Subaru Forresters.
                                Liability is never above officer safety. Do what you must to make sure you go home safe.

William-2, 10-6 for 105. Yep, I'm at Starbucks!

I may be gay, but I'll eff you up!

Personal Web Site

Cheap, Quality Web Design! Put a great cop on the beat by helping with my tuition! :-D

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X