Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best police car was the good old chevrolet caprice nothing beat these beast

Comment

• Originally posted by ddog View Post
      ...The ONLY thing that I can never see anyone match on Crown Vic V8's is the 25mpg gas mileage which is more important these days especially.
      Except the new Charger, of course... The v6 is comparable to the Vic on mileage, and the hemi v8 actually gets better mileage because of the MDS system...

Projected mileage for the V-8 is about 17 miles per gallon in the city and 25 mpg on the highway and that is better than mileage for the heavier Crown Victoria, which is listed as 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway.
      From http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...olice_car.html
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

Comment

• CIS just purchase three Chargers for testing in the fleet. If all goes well, it will replace the Crown Victorias we currently use.

Be Safe,

Hank
        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

• Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
          CIS just purchase three Chargers for testing in the fleet. If all goes well, it will replace the Crown Victorias we currently use.

Be Safe,

Hank

I'm jealous Hank... My company's owner seems set in his ways and keeps refusing my requests to get Chargers... Be sure to post pics when they get upfitted!
          Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
          Originally posted by ValleyOne
          BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
          Shoulda called in sick.
          Be safe!

Comment

• The funny thing is Dodge is planning to just make trucks soon, and Chrysler cars. That may be exclusive of this deal and would actually help Dodge concentrate on the Charger to make it more competitive, since they would just have one car.

Of course, put a different sticker and model name on it and its a Chrysler.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charger View Post

I'm jealous Hank... My company's owner seems set in his ways and keeps refusing my requests to get Chargers... Be sure to post pics when they get upfitted!
              I sure will Charger!
              " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I'm keeping my eye on the taxi-cab cars for a good indicator, to see if they change from their taxi 'standard' Crown Vic. The ONLY thing that I can never see anyone match on Crown Vic V8's is the 25mpg gas mileage which is more important these days especially.
                A friend of mine does own a 07 Charger Hemi and we did take a trip from Miami to Atlanta.We could barely fit all our luggage in the trunk.I drove it and the blind spots were really bad plus the small windsheild made traffic lights much harder to see.We had less legroom in the back seat and the way the back widows are designed made it harder to see out.Sure it was fast and handled great but how fast can you really go.Gas mileage was the same as my 05 Crown Victoria.Yeah the Charger looks cool and all but overall I'd rather have the Crown Vic

When a family of 4 or more gets into a Charger at the airport with their tons of luggage I have no idea how their their going to get all their stuff it into the trunk.Its smaller then the Impalas trunk.

We have no Chargers in our fleet and and told the boss not to get any.So far he has listened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miami-Dade View Post
                  A friend of mine does own a 07 Charger Hemi and we did take a trip from Miami to Atlanta.We could barely fit all our luggage in the trunk.I drove it and the blind spots were really bad plus the small windsheild made traffic lights much harder to see.We had less legroom in the back seat and the way the back widows are designed made it harder to see out.Sure it was fast and handled great but how fast can you really go.Gas mileage was the same as my 05 Crown Victoria.Yeah the Charger looks cool and all but overall I'd rather have the Crown Vic

When a family of 4 or more gets into a Charger at the airport with their tons of luggage I have no idea how their their going to get all their stuff it into the trunk.Its smaller then the Impalas trunk.

We have no Chargers in our fleet and and told the boss not to get any.So far he has listened.
                  Miami~
                  Everything you have mentioned is exactly what I have heard. I also have heard from a few Pasco County Deputies who drive the Chargers that they have tripped exiting thier vehicles because the floor boards in the Chargers are deeper than in the Crown Victorias and Chevy Impalas. I will not be one of the Officers who will be field testing these vehicles ( I have a 07 Crown Vic). But I will be in contact with those who will be. I will keep all advised as I get the information.

Be Safe,

Hank

Comment

• Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                    Miami~
                    Everything you have mentioned is exactly what I have heard. I also have heard from a few Pasco County Deputies who drive the Chargers that they have tripped exiting thier vehicles because the floor boards in the Chargers are deeper than in the Crown Victorias and Chevy Impalas. I will not be one of the Officers who will be field testing these vehicles ( I have a 07 Crown Vic). But I will be in contact with those who will be. I will keep all advised as I get the information.

Be Safe,

Hank
                    If you have a 07 Crown Vic interceptor (or regular 07 Crown Vic for that matter), you have a very nice ride. Just remember you can only hold so many bananas before you start dropping most of what you have in your hands. I personally wouldn't want to give your present ride up unless the new ride was proven beyond significant confidence levels. That's your safety at stake: not just a few thrill rides!

Media articles are just advertising in disquise: the Germans are very crafty with propoganda. Crown Vic is proven beyond all doubt in almost every category. I'd love a V8 Dodge, but if I were using it like a State Trooper, there is no way statistically a virtually new model can hold a candle to the Crown Vic as a total System, including interaction effects from all sub-systems.

You can get an interceptor, last years model NEW on Ford lots, with leather seats for about $17K. If I ever get a car beyond my PU and cycle, it would be hard to justify anything beyond Crown Vic (with my money anyway). I still have an open mind and like Dodge. Its just Crown Vics are the best Ford or anyone has made for trooper/taxicab duty cycles of 24/7 hard use year after year. And all the Ford manufacturing jigs/molds/tooling/hardware investments have been paid for many years ago; and they can charge virtually variable cost per unit only and still make a decent profit.

The Dodge Charger has done miraculous to meet several significant features of the Crown Vic. But it takes a lot more than that to unseat the crowned Champion of cars (to date), imo.

Comment

If you have a 07 Crown Vic interceptor (or regular 07 Crown Vic for that matter), you have a very nice ride. Just remember you can only hold so many bananas before you start dropping most of what you have in your hands. I personally wouldn't want to give your present ride up unless the new ride was proven beyond significant confidence levels. That's your safety at stake: not just a few thrill rides!

Media articles are just advertising in disquise: the Germans are very crafty with propoganda. Crown Vic is proven beyond all doubt in almost every category. I'd love a V8 Dodge, but if I were using it like a State Trooper, there is no way statistically a virtually new model can hold a candle to the Crown Vic as a total System, including interaction effects from all sub-systems.

You can get an interceptor, last years model NEW on Ford lots, with leather seats for about $17K. If I ever get a car beyond my PU and cycle, it would be hard to justify anything beyond Crown Vic (with my money anyway). I still have an open mind and like Dodge. Its just Crown Vics are the best Ford or anyone has made for trooper/taxicab duty cycles of 24/7 hard use year after year. And all the Ford manufacturing jigs/molds/tooling/hardware investments have been paid for many years ago; and they can charge virtually variable cost per unit only and still make a decent profit.

The Dodge Charger has done miraculous to meet several significant features of the Crown Vic. But it takes a lot more than that to unseat the crowned Champion of cars (to date), imo.
                      X2
                      EXCELLENTLY PUT!

Comment

• I still say this is the pursuit vehicle of the future.
                        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• Chargers cost more to maintain than the CVPI, tires cost more due to them being performance, and the cost per mile is $0.05-$0.07 more for the Charger. The city police department recently did a survey and if they were to replace all of their 100+ CVPI with Chargers, maintenance costs would rise over $100,000 per year.

Currently the department only has 4 Chargers and they also have painted on the back "Courtesy of your neighborhood drug dealer", since they purchased them with confiscated drug money. (I'll try and snap a few pics next time I see one).

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                            I still say this is the pursuit vehicle of the future.
                            Gotcha beat- this is the pursuit vehicle of the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by LPCap View Post
                              Chargers cost more to maintain than the CVPI, tires cost more due to them being performance, and the cost per mile is $0.05-$0.07 more for the Charger. The city police department recently did a survey and if they were to replace all of their 100+ CVPI with Chargers, maintenance costs would rise over $100,000 per year.

Currently the department only has 4 Chargers and they also have painted on the back "Courtesy of your neighborhood drug dealer", since they purchased them with confiscated drug money. (I'll try and snap a few pics next time I see one).
                              When ordering the 'police package' does that not include the upgraded high speed rated tires?
                              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                                When ordering the 'police package' does that not include the upgraded high speed rated tires?
                                Curtis, it looks like you used the wrong quote. You actually meant the pink bicycle, didn't you.
                                sigpic
                                Rocket Science
                                Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                                One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X