Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMTjon
    replied
    My favorite is the priviate security Co. locally that uses Plymouth Sundances and similar as patrol vehicles... They also have a Ford Aerostar. All have 7-pod Vector/Vision Lightbars on them. And there are some other companies that use the 1980's Dodge sedans.... UGLY.

Anyway... I've seen some companies use Jeep Liberty's (which are fine vehicles, if you rarely drive them) and Ford Ranger pickups.

One local mall (one of the 10 largest in the US) has a deal with Chevy that Chevy gets their name on their patrol vehicles, and I assume the mall pays very little for their vehicles.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    You would think, wouldn't you?

Yea, look a TWC's vehicles. Lots of people ask what kind of construction company it is. LOL. In little tiny words it has "custom protection divison". But the first thing you see is those big bright painted words of the company that covers the whole forward door and part of the back. Personaly I think these vehicles look hidious and tacky with black lettering and yellow trim and back ground. They don't look like security vehicles. They are very much indeed rolling billboards.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Bridgegate
    And those are the companies that need to take some classes in marketing... After all, we all know that a professional-looking, marked patrol unit is essentially a glorified, rolling billboard for your company.
    You would think, wouldn't you?

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    And those are the companies that need to take some classes in marketing... After all, we all know that a professional-looking, marked patrol unit is essentially a glorified, rolling billboard for your company.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Here's the thing, though. A lot of security companies do not want to look like the police, nor drive "police-like" cars. They use pick-up trucks because the things get more gas mileage, and will (usually) never be mistaken for a police car.

Why invest money in light bars when they can only be activated on private property, or in some cases, not at all?

Why invest money in fancy graphics when they don't bring in revenue?

The patrol vehicle is a "necessary evil," in some minds, and is made by buying a cheap used car, stenciling on the company name (sometimes required by law), and throwing a little yellow hazard light on top.

Leave a comment:

• fatalflaw
    replied
    Originally posted by ocp
    the sad thing is is that our vehicles, equipment, and uniforms look better then the police here in Columbus and we did it for half the cost.
    that's government spending for ya :P

$20,000 for a hammer, $50,000 for a toilet seat

Leave a comment:

• ocp
    replied
    its kind of sad

I have noticed that everyone uses all kinds of vehicles for patrol work, don't you think that is one reason that some people don't respect us or what we do. having a orginized fleet of patrol vehicles, doesn't have to be alot of vehicles, but some vehicles that are the same type, look the same, have professional markings and lighting would show the public that you are professional and work for reputable company. not a bunch of rag tag pick up trucks or junk cars with 1970's era lightbars. crappy patrol cars scream "please don't respect me I'm a renta cop". This goes for the uniforms as well. the first thing the public or law enforcement sees is your uniform, if you look like crap ( not up to law enforcement or military standards) then you are wrong. take the time and money to buy desent duty gear, shine your boots or shoes, keep your hair cut, shave, learn what an iron is, and have all your Officers looking the same. The Officers and companies out there not being up to standards with crappy vehicles or uniforms makes us all look bad. we don't get the respect like the Police do, we have to earn ours. Now I understand that your smaller professional companies don't have the budgets to purchase vehicles or uniforms in bulk, but with my department we bought our Crown Vics at off of ebay for cheap, the equipment off of disbanded Police departments, and the uniforms through a discount uniform shop. the sad thing is is that our vehicles, equipment, and uniforms look better then the police here in Columbus and we did it for half the cost.

Leave a comment:

• Rick51a
    replied
    We usually drive a Toyota Tundra but of late we've been stuck with a Jeep Cherokee: the damn seat kills my back.

Rick

Originally posted by 3rd_shift
    For me, it has been small pickup trucks and the occasional Queen Victoria.
    Most of which have been older than my oldest underwear I dare to wear.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Apache Long Bow

Now you're talking.

Leave a comment:

• fatalflaw
    replied
    My takehome :P

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Watchout for IEDs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My take home vehicle......

Leave a comment:

• PAofficer
    replied
    Patrol vehicles

My last site issued patrol vehicle was mid 90's mid size blazer/jimmy 4 door. Before that we had a 80's Plymouth mini van. The van was great for patroling the 100 achers site (private community). Nothing special about it and the misc equipment carried layed behind the rear seat on the floor. The client required us to use a green pancake light on the dash board for EMS and fire responses. Green because no one else used green and they thought it would not be offensive to anyone. We later built a storage cabinet for the rear to store all the equipment. Built to fit everything snugly and safely, the officers did it themselfs and paid for the supplies to do it. But in the end when we lifted to hatch it looked good and kept it clean and safe. Now days working for a contract agency we drive our personal vehicles. My last one was a Dodge truck set up for security.

Leave a comment:

• gonzo1510
    replied
    A 13 ton black and white armored truck that is not built for comfort nor speed but at least the A/C works great during the winter.....

Leave a comment:

• AlliedEMTguard
    replied
    Here at the mall we drive a "new" 2006 Ford Ranger with mall security reflective stickers and an all amber lightbar with white alley lights. The guys here treat it like shiza, yet I always have fun....then again, im all true blue inside me lol. I'll take a pic Christmas eve when I'm on shift.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X