Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we currenlty have 4 cheolet mlibus, 3 corwn vic and cevyy avelo
    if you run, you will just go to jail tired

Comment

• Originally posted by airtight security officer View Post
      we currenlty have 4 cheolet mlibus, 3 corwn vic and cevyy avelo
      Let me translate for our foreign guests. They currently have 4 Chevrolet Malibu's, 3 Crown Vics, and a Chevy Aveo.

Comment

• Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
        Let me translate for our foreign guests. They currently have 4 Chevrolet Malibu's, 3 Crown Vics, and a Chevy Aveo.
        thanks. I needed the translation.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

• Originally posted by airtight security officer View Post
          we currenlty have 4 cheolet mlibus, 3 corwn vic and cevyy avelo
          Huh?!? I rarely comment on bad spelling or grammar, as I'm far from perfect myself and this isn't a grammar forum or a typing forum. But, this is about 8 over the limit.
          Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-06-2007, 09:31 AM.
          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

• Originally we started with jeep cherokees and ford rangers, mini whelen strobes and graphics that were rainbow colored.. Horrible cars. We upgraded to ford escapes with better graphics, green white full size bars with alleys, take downs and flashers.. We are due for new cars now and will get escapes again and are looking for a LED bar, but will have full size light bar with take downs, alley and flashers, a traffic bar, roof beacon, grill and deck lights, cornering strobes, spot light, better graphics (no one got the idea of numbering the cars last time, so no one could tell which car was there's..), air horn / pa combo, nice inside consoule and hopefully either a push bar on one of them and mdt's. Some of the supervisors have pda's who are on foot, and dispatch has a heavy computer record system, so we may get this instead of texting, using our cells or tying up channel 1 or 2 for records checks and whatnot.. They still wont give us a cage, so unless i know the person, its a victim or a kid, I dont let people in the car with me.

Comment

• We have a 08 Ford Escape, Funny thing is im not alow to drive it for what ever reason (Training not available). but im required to do exterior patrols, they are lucky i have a 04 Chevy Impala thats a Ex-Undercover, they are also lucky i have my own emergency lighting. =)
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
                BTW Glad to see that you got the Amber/Green lights....bad thing is in the pic they almost look like Red/Blue.
                Must be your monitor. Looks amber/green on mine.

I read a news article the other day that said that Chrysler/Dodge is getting back into the police vehicle market, after being out for quite a few years.
                sigpic
                Rocket Science
                Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                  I read a news article the other day that said that Chrysler/Dodge is getting back into the police vehicle market, after being out for quite a few years.
                  I take it no departments around you have bought the new Chargers yet, eh? They've actually been out for quite a while now... Many departments have already switched over, with many more buying just a few to "try out"... Wish I could convince the boss to buy a few..
                  Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                  Originally posted by ValleyOne
                  BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                  Shoulda called in sick.
                  Be safe!

Comment

• http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/26/auto...ion=2007112613

Interceptor Crown Vics are bad, but if the Charger is half as good as a 4 cylinder Dodge Stratus, look out. Its finally nice to have 2 good alternatives, but the Charger will likely cost significantly more with unknown longterm system wear of various component groups. My 1994 6cyl Dakota is still riding nice with 180K miles on it though

Wait and see if the taxi cabs start changing to the Charger for added confidence: since law enforcement uses tax payers money to buy their cars.

Personally, I wish the Challenger model would be more mass produced for cost benefits like the Crown Vic. Those are especially nice models.

Comment

• Nothin like a big block

I've driven lots of patrol vehicles, but the most fun one was a 1978 Dodge Monaco, with the 440 ci V8.

We would flip the air filter cover over, and place it on top of the air filter.

Man, that thing sounded so COOL when you got on it. But the chief was not too thrilled, so it never stayed that way for long. The car was fast too.

Only problem was the brakes were crap, and it did not like fast sharp turns. It was definitely hairy to chase someone in.

Comment

• Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                        We did the same thing. The good old days.

Comment

• [QUOTE=ddog;46487]http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/26/auto...ion=2007112613
                          Interceptor Crown Vics are bad, but if the Charger is half as good as a 4 cylinder Dodge Stratus, look out./QUOTE]

If your Crown Vics are bad they aren't being serviced. properly.

We have a fleet of Crown Vics and love them.Still running strong at 200k miles.We had a Dodge Stratus that had no power and fell apart at 45k miles.The Impalas were OK till 100k miles but after that they all needed allot of front end work.The Impalas aren't as comfortable as the Crown Vic.The Dodge Intrepids fell apart at 40k miles.I hope the Charger holds up better then the Intrepids.

We don't have any Chargers yet but our Sheriff [Broward County Sheriff]] just bought a ton of Hemi Chargers. Even saw yellow cab out of Fort Lauderdale with a bunch of Chargers.Don't think their Hemis though.

BTW my buddy has a 97 Crown Vic with 300k miles on it and its running just fine and the a/c is still pumping cold air in this everyday Miami jungle heat.I doubt something from Mopar could do that at 300k miles.

In the past Mopar=Junk.But maybe they changed with the new Charger.

Comment

• Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                            I've driven lots of patrol vehicles, but the most fun one was a 1978 Dodge Monaco, with the 440 ci V8.

Man, that thing sounded so COOL when you got on it. But the chief was not too thrilled, so it never stayed that way for long. The car was fast too.

Only problem was the brakes were crap, and it did not like fast sharp turns. It was definitely hairy to chase someone in.
                            In 1972 we had some Dodges with the 440 motors. These were the 'pursuit' motors and were a blast to drive. We had the counter (sliding) weight in the trunks that allowed faster cornering.
                            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

• Oh yeah, the 1972 440's were even better

The earlier (pre-smog worries) Dodges had much more power than the 1978 versions.

With those I have seen on (television) shows, the cops were trained to take some turns by power sliding, which basically means burning rubber to bring the rear wheels around the turn. I never got to drive one of those models, but that had to be something else.

I know that it's better these days, with ABS breaking, stability control, and all the other safety and handling goodies now on cars. They are even making fast cars once again. BUT, for the true, MANLY driving experience, nothing beats driving those old, big block, full size beasts, from the 1970's and earlier for thrills.

P.S., I know you younger guys (let's say under 40 ) will want to jump down my throat on this one, and that's OK. Remember, it's only MY little old opinion here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miami-Dade View Post
                                If your Crown Vics are bad they aren't being serviced. properly.

We have a fleet of Crown Vics and love them.Still running strong at 200k miles.We had a Dodge Stratus that had no power and fell apart at 45k miles.The Impalas were OK till 100k miles but after that they all needed allot of front end work.The Impalas aren't as comfortable as the Crown Vic.The Dodge Intrepids fell apart at 40k miles.I hope the Charger holds up better then the Intrepids.

We don't have any Chargers yet but our Sheriff [Broward County Sheriff]] just bought a ton of Hemi Chargers. Even saw yellow cab out of Fort Lauderdale with a bunch of Chargers.Don't think their Hemis though.

BTW my buddy has a 97 Crown Vic with 300k miles on it and its running just fine and the a/c is still pumping cold air in this everyday Miami jungle heat.I doubt something from Mopar could do that at 300k miles.

In the past Mopar=Junk.But maybe they changed with the new Charger.
                                Sorry, I meant "Super-" bad. Crown Vic Interceptors (or even the 'regulars') are one of the most fun cars I've ridden in. They are fast and get good gas mileage too.

Working in Automotive industry for 5 years as an industrial engineer, Ford's quality standards were so tight, it was hard to make assemblies fit properly due to part exact part specs not fitting as an assembly. The Crown Vic has been an excellent car for many years running.

But Dodge's designs are unique and more innovative based on each specific model (the trucks are excellent for sure). But there is something magical about Dodge V8's, and nothing sounds near as good. It almost makes up for any other deficiencies.

The cost and performance of Crown Vics have set a high bar to match, and Dodge is the only ones who can realistically meet it. I'm glad to see competition though, because I know Dodge won't quit until their German engineers figure it out.

I'm keeping my eye on the taxi-cab cars for a good indicator, to see if they change from their taxi 'standard' Crown Vic. The ONLY thing that I can never see anyone match on Crown Vic V8's is the 25mpg gas mileage which is more important these days especially.
                                Last edited by ddog; 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X