Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ValleyOne View Post
    Thanks. Why is Florida so restrictive on S/O's?
    Because we invented America's security licensing in the 1970s. NASIR, where everyone looks to for guidance, was founded by the first Director of the Division of Licensing of the State of Florida.

Security legislation, Chapter 493, is extremely reactionary. In the 1970s, you could carry a Winchester (Repeating Rifle) as a guard. That was taken away and all you could carry was a .38 revolver without special permission in the late 70s.

It used to be you could use colored lights off public roads. Chapter 493 ensured that any light color, ANY light color, other than amber was illegal to possess for a licensed security guard/officer. (93 turned guards into Officers under state statute, but in name only, no vested powers)

It used to be that security personnel could use force to protect property under Florida Statutes 775, just like any other citizen. Something must of happened, because FSS 493.6118(j) ensures that its a crime to use force to do anything but protect people from physical attack.

Reactionary legislation, that's all. As the climate in Tallahassee improves towards security and more lobbyists are in place for the industry, the laws will be repealed or altered.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• We just got a 2007 Honda CR-V to replace our crappy 2002 Chevrolet Blazer. Unfortunately, in order to get this truck (valued at $28K) for $1.00, it must be a rolling billboard . So the sponsor put clouds and their dealership building on the side of it. It also sports a chinese knock-off lightbar from Uniform Warehouse.
      "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

• Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
        Wackenhut in Florida is still issuing the .38 caliber or .357 caliber revolver with .38 Special ammunition. Security recently was authorized to carry 9mm semi-autos without the coveted special waiver.
        Same for out here in Maryland. I think it's standard for Wackenhut...atleast it seems...
        "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I think it is, I think they have thousands of .38s nationwide, and only use semi-autos when contracts require them.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• Most of them are retired LEO guns. Some are "new" TWC guns in their time. Compared to the amount of CPOs they have actually working to that of stock piled .38s you think they could trade two in for a decent semi. One CPO traced his back to a small police department town in Missouri. Going back 16 years! Gee, wonder how old the ammo is?
            My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

• Originally posted by Echos13 View Post
              Most of them are retired LEO guns. Some are "new" TWC guns in their time. Compared to the amount of CPOs they have actually working to that of stock piled .38s you think they could trade two in for a decent semi. One CPO traced his back to a small police department town in Missouri. Going back 16 years! Gee, wonder how old the ammo is?
              At our office, never older than a year. We replace everyones issued rounds yearly.
              SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

• I cleaned a supervisor's weapon, a .38 Colt Trooper from NYSP, once. (He wasn't good at cleaning the layer of rust, I cleaned it, sealed it, and reblued it for him. Helps when you dad was a reloader, armorer, and built his own rifles.)

It was determined the weapon was about 50 years old.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
                  At our office, never older than a year. We replace everyones issued rounds yearly.
                  Thanks for reminding me, I gotta replace my ammo LOL
                  "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Speaking of ammo, just to be on the safe side ensure you turn boxes of ammo from right side up to bottom side up every couple of months. In that way the powder will not pack within the cartridges.
                    We learned that in the Air Police Academy. It can be a pain when you are doing this to air base defense ammo, but well worth it in the long run.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                      Speaking of ammo, just to be on the safe side ensure you turn boxes of ammo from right side up to bottom side up every couple of months. In that way the powder will not pack within the cartridges.
                      We learned that in the Air Police Academy. It can be a pain when you are doing this to air base defense ammo, but well worth it in the long run.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill
                      Way off of the original topic but along the lines of Bill's post. Don't forget to turn upside down, shake & tap your dry chemical fire extinguishers once in a while for the reason as in Bill's post.
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• Our company has Chevy Impalas which are slowly being replaced with Dodge Chargers. Some areas have led light bars on the cars. At the mines we use Dodge Ram crew cab pickups with red/blue light bars.
                        Here in the hinterlands, I have a Chevy Impala with 160,000 on it. I'll be getting a hand-me-down Charger next year, maybe.
                        "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

• Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                          Way off of the original topic but along the lines of Bill's post. Don't forget to turn upside down, shake & tap your dry chemical fire extinguishers once in a while for the reason as in Bill's post.
                          Thank you young man, another item for the security guide, with your credit.
                          Enjoy the day and thanks again,
                          Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                            Our company has Chevy Impalas which are slowly being replaced with Dodge Chargers. Some areas have led light bars on the cars. At the mines we use Dodge Ram crew cab pickups with red/blue light bars.
                            Here in the hinterlands, I have a Chevy Impala with 160,000 on it. I'll be getting a hand-me-down Charger next year, maybe.
                            I'm looking at an Impala, but can't stop thinking about getting a charger. However, i'll most likely will end up with the Impala.

Comment

• Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                              At first glanc, they did look red and blue. I hope nobody's going to complain, but even if they do, it'll take at least 2 years to change the law back.

Its also heartwarming to see a G4S branch actually order a green cover, even if it is for an ancient Streethawk.
                              One PPPD officer I know is already bitching that the forest green lightbars look blue at night when not activated.
                              "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

• Originally posted by bigdog View Post
                                One PPPD officer I know is already bitching that the forest green lightbars look blue at night when not activated.
                                Tell 'em to build a bridge and get over it.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X