Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami-Dade
    replied
    [QUOTE=ddog;46487]http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/26/auto...ion=2007112613
    Interceptor Crown Vics are bad, but if the Charger is half as good as a 4 cylinder Dodge Stratus, look out./QUOTE]

If your Crown Vics are bad they aren't being serviced. properly.

We have a fleet of Crown Vics and love them.Still running strong at 200k miles.We had a Dodge Stratus that had no power and fell apart at 45k miles.The Impalas were OK till 100k miles but after that they all needed allot of front end work.The Impalas aren't as comfortable as the Crown Vic.The Dodge Intrepids fell apart at 40k miles.I hope the Charger holds up better then the Intrepids.

We don't have any Chargers yet but our Sheriff [Broward County Sheriff]] just bought a ton of Hemi Chargers. Even saw yellow cab out of Fort Lauderdale with a bunch of Chargers.Don't think their Hemis though.

BTW my buddy has a 97 Crown Vic with 300k miles on it and its running just fine and the a/c is still pumping cold air in this everyday Miami jungle heat.I doubt something from Mopar could do that at 300k miles.

In the past Mopar=Junk.But maybe they changed with the new Charger.

Leave a comment:

• T202
    replied
    Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
    We would flip the air filter cover over, and place it on top of the air filter.
    We did the same thing. The good old days.

Leave a comment:

• bpdblue
    replied
    Nothin like a big block

I've driven lots of patrol vehicles, but the most fun one was a 1978 Dodge Monaco, with the 440 ci V8.

We would flip the air filter cover over, and place it on top of the air filter.

Man, that thing sounded so COOL when you got on it. But the chief was not too thrilled, so it never stayed that way for long. The car was fast too.

Only problem was the brakes were crap, and it did not like fast sharp turns. It was definitely hairy to chase someone in.

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied

Interceptor Crown Vics are bad, but if the Charger is half as good as a 4 cylinder Dodge Stratus, look out. Its finally nice to have 2 good alternatives, but the Charger will likely cost significantly more with unknown longterm system wear of various component groups. My 1994 6cyl Dakota is still riding nice with 180K miles on it though

Wait and see if the taxi cabs start changing to the Charger for added confidence: since law enforcement uses tax payers money to buy their cars.

Personally, I wish the Challenger model would be more mass produced for cost benefits like the Crown Vic. Those are especially nice models.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
    I read a news article the other day that said that Chrysler/Dodge is getting back into the police vehicle market, after being out for quite a few years.
    I take it no departments around you have bought the new Chargers yet, eh? They've actually been out for quite a while now... Many departments have already switched over, with many more buying just a few to "try out"... Wish I could convince the boss to buy a few..

Leave a comment:

• integrator97
    replied
    Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
    BTW Glad to see that you got the Amber/Green lights....bad thing is in the pic they almost look like Red/Blue.
    Must be your monitor. Looks amber/green on mine.

I read a news article the other day that said that Chrysler/Dodge is getting back into the police vehicle market, after being out for quite a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Unit6
    replied
    We have a 08 Ford Escape, Funny thing is im not alow to drive it for what ever reason (Training not available). but im required to do exterior patrols, they are lucky i have a 04 Chevy Impala thats a Ex-Undercover, they are also lucky i have my own emergency lighting. =)

Leave a comment:

• jer6141
    replied
    Originally we started with jeep cherokees and ford rangers, mini whelen strobes and graphics that were rainbow colored.. Horrible cars. We upgraded to ford escapes with better graphics, green white full size bars with alleys, take downs and flashers.. We are due for new cars now and will get escapes again and are looking for a LED bar, but will have full size light bar with take downs, alley and flashers, a traffic bar, roof beacon, grill and deck lights, cornering strobes, spot light, better graphics (no one got the idea of numbering the cars last time, so no one could tell which car was there's..), air horn / pa combo, nice inside consoule and hopefully either a push bar on one of them and mdt's. Some of the supervisors have pda's who are on foot, and dispatch has a heavy computer record system, so we may get this instead of texting, using our cells or tying up channel 1 or 2 for records checks and whatnot.. They still wont give us a cage, so unless i know the person, its a victim or a kid, I dont let people in the car with me.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by airtight security officer View Post
    we currenlty have 4 cheolet mlibus, 3 corwn vic and cevyy avelo
    Huh?!? I rarely comment on bad spelling or grammar, as I'm far from perfect myself and this isn't a grammar forum or a typing forum. But, this is about 8 over the limit.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    Let me translate for our foreign guests. They currently have 4 Chevrolet Malibu's, 3 Crown Vics, and a Chevy Aveo.
    thanks. I needed the translation.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    Originally posted by airtight security officer View Post
    Let me translate for our foreign guests. They currently have 4 Chevrolet Malibu's, 3 Crown Vics, and a Chevy Aveo.

Leave a comment:

• airtight security officer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• integrator97
    replied
    Originally posted by geordiekimbo View Post
    well i'm assuming its because April is the start of our financial year, so i'm guessing that they make it april to keep finance deals easier to work out... But personally i dunno...that really is a big big guess
    Well, that makes sense.

Leave a comment:

• geordiekimbo
    replied
    well i'm assuming its because April is the start of our financial year, so i'm guessing that they make it april to keep finance deals easier to work out... But personally i dunno...that really is a big big guess

Leave a comment:

• integrator97
    replied
    Originally posted by geordiekimbo View Post
    the last part of the license plate is the year... the first part is currently the month in which the vehcile is licensed... the 0 corresponds to April and the 5 is September...

thats the way out license plates have worked for 7 years...

01 (april 2001)
    51 (sept 2001)
    02 (april 2002)
    52 (sept 2002)
    and so on

sorry about the confusion.
    Hey, I always say "you learn something new everyday". It definitely holds true for me, and I'm 45 y/o. I'm curious as to why April is 0 and not January? Obviously a British thing, but you use the same calender, soooo.....?
    Last edited by integrator97; 10-29-2007, 12:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X