Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol vehicles, what do you get to drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LPCap
    replied
    Chargers cost more to maintain than the CVPI, tires cost more due to them being performance, and the cost per mile is $0.05-$0.07 more for the Charger. The city police department recently did a survey and if they were to replace all of their 100+ CVPI with Chargers, maintenance costs would rise over $100,000 per year.

Currently the department only has 4 Chargers and they also have painted on the back "Courtesy of your neighborhood drug dealer", since they purchased them with confiscated drug money. (I'll try and snap a few pics next time I see one).

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    I still say this is the pursuit vehicle of the future.

Leave a comment:

• Miami-Dade
    replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    If you have a 07 Crown Vic interceptor (or regular 07 Crown Vic for that matter), you have a very nice ride. Just remember you can only hold so many bananas before you start dropping most of what you have in your hands. I personally wouldn't want to give your present ride up unless the new ride was proven beyond significant confidence levels. That's your safety at stake: not just a few thrill rides!

Media articles are just advertising in disquise: the Germans are very crafty with propoganda. Crown Vic is proven beyond all doubt in almost every category. I'd love a V8 Dodge, but if I were using it like a State Trooper, there is no way statistically a virtually new model can hold a candle to the Crown Vic as a total System, including interaction effects from all sub-systems.

You can get an interceptor, last years model NEW on Ford lots, with leather seats for about $17K. If I ever get a car beyond my PU and cycle, it would be hard to justify anything beyond Crown Vic (with my money anyway). I still have an open mind and like Dodge. Its just Crown Vics are the best Ford or anyone has made for trooper/taxicab duty cycles of 24/7 hard use year after year. And all the Ford manufacturing jigs/molds/tooling/hardware investments have been paid for many years ago; and they can charge virtually variable cost per unit only and still make a decent profit.

The Dodge Charger has done miraculous to meet several significant features of the Crown Vic. But it takes a lot more than that to unseat the crowned Champion of cars (to date), imo.
    X2
    EXCELLENTLY PUT!

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    Miami~
    Everything you have mentioned is exactly what I have heard. I also have heard from a few Pasco County Deputies who drive the Chargers that they have tripped exiting thier vehicles because the floor boards in the Chargers are deeper than in the Crown Victorias and Chevy Impalas. I will not be one of the Officers who will be field testing these vehicles ( I have a 07 Crown Vic). But I will be in contact with those who will be. I will keep all advised as I get the information.

Be Safe,

Hank
    If you have a 07 Crown Vic interceptor (or regular 07 Crown Vic for that matter), you have a very nice ride. Just remember you can only hold so many bananas before you start dropping most of what you have in your hands. I personally wouldn't want to give your present ride up unless the new ride was proven beyond significant confidence levels. That's your safety at stake: not just a few thrill rides!

Media articles are just advertising in disquise: the Germans are very crafty with propoganda. Crown Vic is proven beyond all doubt in almost every category. I'd love a V8 Dodge, but if I were using it like a State Trooper, there is no way statistically a virtually new model can hold a candle to the Crown Vic as a total System, including interaction effects from all sub-systems.

You can get an interceptor, last years model NEW on Ford lots, with leather seats for about $17K. If I ever get a car beyond my PU and cycle, it would be hard to justify anything beyond Crown Vic (with my money anyway). I still have an open mind and like Dodge. Its just Crown Vics are the best Ford or anyone has made for trooper/taxicab duty cycles of 24/7 hard use year after year. And all the Ford manufacturing jigs/molds/tooling/hardware investments have been paid for many years ago; and they can charge virtually variable cost per unit only and still make a decent profit.

The Dodge Charger has done miraculous to meet several significant features of the Crown Vic. But it takes a lot more than that to unseat the crowned Champion of cars (to date), imo.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by Miami-Dade View Post
    A friend of mine does own a 07 Charger Hemi and we did take a trip from Miami to Atlanta.We could barely fit all our luggage in the trunk.I drove it and the blind spots were really bad plus the small windsheild made traffic lights much harder to see.We had less legroom in the back seat and the way the back widows are designed made it harder to see out.Sure it was fast and handled great but how fast can you really go.Gas mileage was the same as my 05 Crown Victoria.Yeah the Charger looks cool and all but overall I'd rather have the Crown Vic

When a family of 4 or more gets into a Charger at the airport with their tons of luggage I have no idea how their their going to get all their stuff it into the trunk.Its smaller then the Impalas trunk.

We have no Chargers in our fleet and and told the boss not to get any.So far he has listened.
    Miami~
    Everything you have mentioned is exactly what I have heard. I also have heard from a few Pasco County Deputies who drive the Chargers that they have tripped exiting thier vehicles because the floor boards in the Chargers are deeper than in the Crown Victorias and Chevy Impalas. I will not be one of the Officers who will be field testing these vehicles ( I have a 07 Crown Vic). But I will be in contact with those who will be. I will keep all advised as I get the information.

Be Safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Miami-Dade
    replied
    I'm keeping my eye on the taxi-cab cars for a good indicator, to see if they change from their taxi 'standard' Crown Vic. The ONLY thing that I can never see anyone match on Crown Vic V8's is the 25mpg gas mileage which is more important these days especially.
    A friend of mine does own a 07 Charger Hemi and we did take a trip from Miami to Atlanta.We could barely fit all our luggage in the trunk.I drove it and the blind spots were really bad plus the small windsheild made traffic lights much harder to see.We had less legroom in the back seat and the way the back widows are designed made it harder to see out.Sure it was fast and handled great but how fast can you really go.Gas mileage was the same as my 05 Crown Victoria.Yeah the Charger looks cool and all but overall I'd rather have the Crown Vic

When a family of 4 or more gets into a Charger at the airport with their tons of luggage I have no idea how their their going to get all their stuff it into the trunk.Its smaller then the Impalas trunk.

We have no Chargers in our fleet and and told the boss not to get any.So far he has listened.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by Charger View Post

I'm jealous Hank... My company's owner seems set in his ways and keeps refusing my requests to get Chargers... Be sure to post pics when they get upfitted!
    I sure will Charger!

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    The funny thing is Dodge is planning to just make trucks soon, and Chrysler cars. That may be exclusive of this deal and would actually help Dodge concentrate on the Charger to make it more competitive, since they would just have one car.

Of course, put a different sticker and model name on it and its a Chrysler.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    CIS just purchase three Chargers for testing in the fleet. If all goes well, it will replace the Crown Victorias we currently use.

Be Safe,

Hank

I'm jealous Hank... My company's owner seems set in his ways and keeps refusing my requests to get Chargers... Be sure to post pics when they get upfitted!

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    CIS just purchase three Chargers for testing in the fleet. If all goes well, it will replace the Crown Victorias we currently use.

Be Safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    ...The ONLY thing that I can never see anyone match on Crown Vic V8's is the 25mpg gas mileage which is more important these days especially.
    Except the new Charger, of course... The v6 is comparable to the Vic on mileage, and the hemi v8 actually gets better mileage because of the MDS system...

Projected mileage for the V-8 is about 17 miles per gallon in the city and 25 mpg on the highway and that is better than mileage for the heavier Crown Victoria, which is listed as 16 mpg city and 22 mpg highway.
    From http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...olice_car.html

Leave a comment:

• The Hussard
    replied
    The best police car was the good old chevrolet caprice nothing beat these beast

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by Miami-Dade View Post
    If your Crown Vics are bad they aren't being serviced. properly.

We have a fleet of Crown Vics and love them.Still running strong at 200k miles.We had a Dodge Stratus that had no power and fell apart at 45k miles.The Impalas were OK till 100k miles but after that they all needed allot of front end work.The Impalas aren't as comfortable as the Crown Vic.The Dodge Intrepids fell apart at 40k miles.I hope the Charger holds up better then the Intrepids.

We don't have any Chargers yet but our Sheriff [Broward County Sheriff]] just bought a ton of Hemi Chargers. Even saw yellow cab out of Fort Lauderdale with a bunch of Chargers.Don't think their Hemis though.

BTW my buddy has a 97 Crown Vic with 300k miles on it and its running just fine and the a/c is still pumping cold air in this everyday Miami jungle heat.I doubt something from Mopar could do that at 300k miles.

In the past Mopar=Junk.But maybe they changed with the new Charger.
    Sorry, I meant "Super-" bad. Crown Vic Interceptors (or even the 'regulars') are one of the most fun cars I've ridden in. They are fast and get good gas mileage too.

Working in Automotive industry for 5 years as an industrial engineer, Ford's quality standards were so tight, it was hard to make assemblies fit properly due to part exact part specs not fitting as an assembly. The Crown Vic has been an excellent car for many years running.

But Dodge's designs are unique and more innovative based on each specific model (the trucks are excellent for sure). But there is something magical about Dodge V8's, and nothing sounds near as good. It almost makes up for any other deficiencies.

The cost and performance of Crown Vics have set a high bar to match, and Dodge is the only ones who can realistically meet it. I'm glad to see competition though, because I know Dodge won't quit until their German engineers figure it out.

I'm keeping my eye on the taxi-cab cars for a good indicator, to see if they change from their taxi 'standard' Crown Vic. The ONLY thing that I can never see anyone match on Crown Vic V8's is the 25mpg gas mileage which is more important these days especially.
    Last edited by ddog; 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bpdblue
    replied
    Oh yeah, the 1972 440's were even better

The earlier (pre-smog worries) Dodges had much more power than the 1978 versions.

With those I have seen on (television) shows, the cops were trained to take some turns by power sliding, which basically means burning rubber to bring the rear wheels around the turn. I never got to drive one of those models, but that had to be something else.

I know that it's better these days, with ABS breaking, stability control, and all the other safety and handling goodies now on cars. They are even making fast cars once again. BUT, for the true, MANLY driving experience, nothing beats driving those old, big block, full size beasts, from the 1970's and earlier for thrills.

P.S., I know you younger guys (let's say under 40 ) will want to jump down my throat on this one, and that's OK. Remember, it's only MY little old opinion here.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
    I've driven lots of patrol vehicles, but the most fun one was a 1978 Dodge Monaco, with the 440 ci V8.

We would flip the air filter cover over, and place it on top of the air filter.

Man, that thing sounded so COOL when you got on it. But the chief was not too thrilled, so it never stayed that way for long. The car was fast too.

Only problem was the brakes were crap, and it did not like fast sharp turns. It was definitely hairy to chase someone in.
    In 1972 we had some Dodges with the 440 motors. These were the 'pursuit' motors and were a blast to drive. We had the counter (sliding) weight in the trunks that allowed faster cornering.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X