No announcement yet.

concealed carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I agree with Mark Twain, who said that "An armed society is a polite society."

There have been many studies showing that in jurisdictions where citizens are granted the right to bear arms the crime and victimization rates are significantly reduced while any gun-related crimes committed by such (legal-carrying) citizens are so miniscule that they pale in comparison to knifings, poisonings and even assaults using automobiles or wet squirrels, for that matter.

I know of no study, on the other hand, that contradicts these findings, so the point would seem to be inarguable...and yet we have people like the governor of Wisconsin and the police chief mentioned in these posts.

I remember some of the dire predictions about "rising gun crime rates" when gun sales to private citizens jumped by about 200% after 9/11. These were usually silly, uninformed news anchors who implied that soon we'd all be shooting each other as a matter of purely normal routine on finding that the laundry had starched our shorts or because someone didn't tip his hat to grandma on the street.

These predictions, of course, never came true but you never saw any of these deeply-concerned-faced-dire-consequence-predicting pundits admit that they were wrong...and you never will.

I think there should be a federal/national weapons license for security officers - especially those whose assignments take them across state lines - (and also federal/national security agency licensing for companies operating in multiple states as well), with the proper restrictions and requirements, of course. I can only imagine the licensing departments that the national companies must have to support, keeping up on each state's changing laws, the costs, making sure renewals are done in time, etc., etc.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-05-2006, 07:50 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Amusingly enough, the AP ran a story about the devistating capabilities of the M82 Sniper Weapon System from Barrett...

It could punch through TANK ARMOR, they said!
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        Amusingly enough, the AP ran a story about the devistating capabilities of the M82 Sniper Weapon System from Barrett...

It could punch through TANK ARMOR, they said!
        They exagerated. The M82 fires a 50 caliber armor peircing round which is identical to what is fired from the M2 heavy machine gun. This round will bust through lightly armored vehicles (humvees, trucks) and many Armored Personel Carriers (M113) but will not stop a modern Main Battle Tank. Take it from a former M1A1 tanker.
        Last edited by EMTGuard; 12-06-2006, 08:11 AM.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I'm not sure many people would carry an M82 concealed though. With it being approx. 1.5 meters in length and 13-15kg. Although I would like to have one to take to the long distance range (1000 yd) about 2 miles from my house. (And I've never had rounds land on my house)

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
            They exagerated. The M82 fires a 50 caliber armor peircing round which is identical to what is fired from the M2 heavy machine gun. This round will bust through lightly armored vehicles (humvees, trucks) and many Armored Personel Carriers (M113) but will not stop a modern Main Battle Tank. Take it from a former M1A1 tanker.
            Exagerated? I'd say outright fabricated.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
              Exagerated? I'd say outright fabricated.
              Nathan:
              You should have seen the expression of the faces of the two folks who reported that story when the US Army Ballistics Research Laboratory explained what the .50 caliber round was capability of doing and not doing.
              I thought the one woman was going to have a fit when she said she saw WWII fighter bomber film footage of a German tank being blown up by the bullets from a P-47 on a strafing run. Dr. Atwater explained the etymology of that word, German (Gott strafe England = May God punish England) was a propaganda slogan during World War I.
              The tank he explained was destroyed by a 500-pound bomb from the P-47.
              It was just as you stated, a complete fabrication.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X