Question about making arrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about making arrests

If you witness a large group of teenagers defacing property that you were hired to protect, what should you do?

Call the police. One of you vs many of them=bad.

Comment

I agree with bigshot! If you have backup, get them and maybe go out in the situation. Be calm but firm, teens with their attitudes and all, lol, i remember my teen years which wasnt to long ago
      Shawn J. Gossman
      Security Officer
      5+ Years Experience

Comment

Let's see. I'm there to observe and report so... Since I've observed them I guess the next thing to do is report them.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Get a good clothing discription and direction of travel when you call the police. They will likely run when they see you, but that is not gauranteed. Fill out your report to your client. Never go into a many vs one situation.
          Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

If it is an account where I have LOTS of friends who can help me... then I'd call for LOTS of friends and then WE confront them... otherwise, I'd get the PD out there and advise them it is a LARGE group... and then assist the police in any way I can.

Jon
            Last edited by EMTjon; 11-27-2006, 03:41 PM.
            The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

What they said...lol
              "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo
                Call the police. One of you vs many of them=bad.
                bigshotceo:
                You have written wisely. We forget the "Ten Deadly Sins" or vicariously known as the "Ten Commandments of Security and Law Enforcement" at our peril. There is always time in the situation thus described to wait for backup. They are defacing property far better than defacing you.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

In most circumstances you would be better off to contact PD and address the individuals as a group. Most likely your client will want to have the book thrown at them and in very few circumstances can a private security officer issue a citation to anyone. In addition the number factor must be addressed as well. For the most part officer presence will deter this type of problem especially if word gets out that the PD and your dept work well together.
                  Improvise, Adapt, Modify, and Overcome

Comment

GordonSecurity

Are you a security officer? The reason I ask is because your training should have covered this and other situations that you will encounter. Moreover, the "right" answer depends on who employs you, the post orders, and the type of security you do.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

In Wisconsin, a SO is expected to observe, report to police and then run away.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                        Are you a security officer? The reason I ask is because your training should have covered this and other situations that you will encounter. Moreover, the "right" answer depends on who employs you, the post orders, and the type of security you do.
                        That is...IF you get ANY training at all in the first place. Here we have Guards who are hired, given unifroms and badges and sent to a post within an hour of filling out and application and passing the background check. You can work for up to six months with a temporary card before being required to take 16 hours of mandatory training. Wich brings up the question, If you can work 6 months without the training, why do you need the training at all?
                        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                          That is...IF you get ANY training at all in the first place. Here we have Guards who are hired, given unifroms and badges and sent to a post within an hour of filling out and application and passing the background check. You can work for up to six months with a temporary card before being required to take 16 hours of mandatory training. Wich brings up the question, If you can work 6 months without the training, why do you need the training at all?
                          Makes the state feel good. They're complying with industry "suggestions" that the training not be immediate, while still complying with the IASIR and ASIS suggestions that guards be regulated and receive training.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X