Question About Proper Baton Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Proper Baton Use

If You Have A Permit To Carry A Baton, And You Witness Someone on The Property Owner's Parking Lot Being Stabbed, What Should You Do? I Know The First Reaction Is Use Reasonable Force, But What Should One Do From The Perspective Of A Security Officer? Should The Guard Contact The Police, And Observe And Report, Or Should He/she Arrest The Attacker?
    Last edited by GordonSecurity; 11-27-2006, 12:33 AM.

The First Thing You Do Is Stop Adding Caps to Each Word.

Comment

I'm just a security guard. You know we're uneducated.

Comment

What you should do is follow your California Security Guard Powers of Arrest training , which states you should follow company policy.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If someone is being stabbed, the first thing I think you should do is get the cops rolling.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            What you should do is follow your California Security Guard Powers of Arrest training , which states you should follow company policy.
            I have the Power to arrest Manual and it does not say what to do in this case.

Comment

It gives general guidelines, if you expect it to say, "What should you do if someone is being: Stabbed, turn to page 12, Shot, turn to page 14," etc, then it will not.

Stabbing is a felony. The book also notes that company policy will dictate your response: Observe and report to client only; observe, report to client and police; observe, arrest, report to client and police.

If you have not recieved defensive tactics training, how do you plan on arresting someone when they become physically combative?

If your defensive tactics training did not cover armed combatants, demand your money back.

BTW... If you go up against someone who is armed with a knife and all you have is a baton, you will probably die or be horribly disfigured.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Thanks for your response

Comment

I will agree to disagree with the statement about having only a baton when the subject is armed with a knife. While working with CDC in the 90's many of us were put in that position, and guess what? A PR24 in the hands of a trained officer will win that fight in almost every situation. We disarmed many prisoners who had homemade knives without so much as a scratch on the officers.
                  Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
                    I will agree to disagree with the statement about having only a baton when the subject is armed with a knife. While working with CDC in the 90's many of us were put in that position, and guess what? A PR24 in the hands of a trained officer will win that fight in almost every situation. We disarmed many prisoners who had homemade knives without so much as a scratch on the officers.
                    Jeff194307:
                    How many times does the average guard engage in the "baton ballet?" If one has only rudimentary training, not such as you have described, then Nathan's advice is sound. We forget the 21-foot rule at our peril.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

Comment

If I had ANY reason to believe that the individual being stabbed was in someway a party to the conflict, i.e., verbal argument, gang member, etc., I would simply call the police and let them handle the matter. If I was convinced that the victim was innocent, then I wouldn't just standby after calling the police. (Assuming there is just one perp.) I would issue a verbal command to stop and if that failed take a weapon of opportunity, such as a long metal pipe, and do my best to fend off the attacker.

Yes, I know that I'm taking a risk, but isn't that what saving lives is often about?
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X