No announcement yet.

Anyone ever seen a VW Jetta hatchback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever seen a VW Jetta hatchback?

Had a hit-and-run in the parking lot last night. I just happened to be standing nearby and was able to run and get a plate number of the suspect's vehicle as he sped away. It was dark and he had a tinted plate cover, so I was a little worried about whether or not I got the plate correctly. The suspect's vehicle was a newer-model black Volkswagon hatchback. My co-worker thought it appeared to be a Golf.

Police said the plate came back to a 4-door 2001 Volkswagon Jetta (no color provided) registered on the local Army base. Now, I don't know a lot about VWs but after doing a little research I can't really find out much about if the Jetta has ever come in a hatchback... anyone else know?

Just a little paranoid that I may have observed the plate incorrectly. Don't want an innocent guy to take any flak for it. Of course, the plate could always be stolen...

Originally posted by LPGuy
    Had a hit-and-run in the parking lot last night. I just happened to be standing nearby and was able to run and get a plate number of the suspect's vehicle as he sped away. It was dark and he had a tinted plate cover, so I was a little worried about whether or not I got the plate correctly. The suspect's vehicle was a newer-model black Volkswagon hatchback. My co-worker thought it appeared to be a Golf.

Police said the plate came back to a 4-door 2001 Volkswagon Jetta (no color provided) registered on the local Army base. Now, I don't know a lot about VWs but after doing a little research I can't really find out much about if the Jetta has ever come in a hatchback... anyone else know?

Just a little paranoid that I may have observed the plate incorrectly. Don't want an innocent guy to take any flak for it. Of course, the plate could always be stolen...
    LPGuy, I'm sure there will be evidence of that crime, so you did good in reporting it.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

There is a jetta that is more of a station wagon model little bit of a longer wheel base and it is a hatch back

Comment

I did some more research. I'm inclined to believe that the suspect's vehicle was possibly a "Getta" (Golf/Jetta hybrid created by combining the two body styles) or was using stolen license plates...

Comment

Nice job LPGuy

I love it when those kinds of "people" (I use that term loosely) get nailed. They are morally bankrupt and devoid of any respect for other people's property.

Hit and runs (evading responsibility) are most likely to occur at night and when traffic is light. Be especially alert when:

-Waiting to turn left at a light. Cars turning left from the intersection to your right may cut it too close and keep going because you can't turn around quickly or get a plate number easily.

-Cars are passing you on the right shoulder while you're stopped behind another car turning left. People misjudge the pass and can sideswipe you. If you don't have enough room between you and the car in front of you to maneuver around it, then you're stuck with no way to get a plate number.

-On narrow roads. A car traveling in the opposite direction can easily sideswipe you and be long gone before you can turn around.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Occam's Razor

Originally posted by LPGuy
            IMHO, three possibilities exist:

1) You read the plate incorrectly. No one can answer this probability but you. Likelihood: Unknown

2) Stolen plates. Likelihood: Low

3) DMV/DOL entry (on the part of the operator) error or dispatcher error. A reasonable person, presented with a summary of how often this happens, would be terrified. Likelihood: High

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson

1) You read the plate incorrectly. No one can answer this probability but you. Likelihood: Unknown

3) DMV/DOL entry (on the part of the operator) error or dispatcher error. A reasonable person, presented with a summary of how often this happens, would be terrified. Likelihood: High
              How can you rate the possiblilty that it was a stolen license plate as being low? I think you are making a serious error that a lot of security people & police do: Assuming facts not in evidence .

LP GUY: I wouldn't be worried about the wrong person getting in trouble. I doubt the police will accuse him of anything unless there is evidence that the vehicle was involved in an accident.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                How can you rate the possiblilty that it was a stolen license plate as being low? I think you are making a serious error that a lot of security people & police do: Assuming facts not in evidence.
                Where did the reply I typed a few hours ago disappear to??

I was basing my opinion on my personal experiences with stolen plates...In all my LE and security experience, I've had precisely one incident involving stolen plates, and that ended up being resolved under the header "Stupid juvenile tricks".

I was basing the opinion on the theory reflected in my reply title, "Occam's Razor".

The easiest/most obvious explanation is ususally correct.

Again, based on my experience and personal opinion...As a "reasonable person"

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence, of a sorts. I don't think I erred with getting the right plate (I have good eyesight , and I was calling the plate out as I read it). Now that you point out that it may have been a DMV/DOL typo, I'm inclined to agree. Volkswagons aren't very common around here, so for the possibility to have read the plate wrong and it still come back to a VW is a big coincidence.

I guess I should clarify the incident a little more. The police dispatcher, after hearing me summarize what had occurred, wanted to classify it as a "hit and run," although that's not really exactly what I believe happened. I heard a very loud crack noise come from the direction of two vehicles parked in the front row of the lot, and I saw the suspect's vehicle quickly backing away. I ran to get the plate, knowing something wasn't quite right, and watched as the suspect exited the lot at a high rate of speed. The car parked next to it had a decent amount of damage to the driver's side mirror. The way the damage appeared, it seemed as if someone had smashed something down on top of it (as the damage started from the top of the mirror and appeared to travel down). Both vehicles were modified wannabe street racers, so that may have played a part into why the victim's vehicle was targeted...

The plate came back to the local Army base, so the city officer said he would contact the Army Military Police for more information. I've worked with the city officer before and he's a good guy, so I think he'll see the case through.

Comment

Where did the reply I typed a few hours ago disappear to??

I was basing my opinion on my personal experiences with stolen plates...In all my LE and security experience, I've had precisely one incident involving stolen plates, and that ended up being resolved under the header "Stupid juvenile tricks".

I was basing the opinion on the theory reflected in my reply title, "Occam's Razor".

The easiest/most obvious explanation is ususally correct.

Again, based on my experience and personal opinion...As a "reasonable person"
                    My experience with stolen cars from open air hotel parking lots (50+ per year) gas shown that when ever a suspect has been seen arriving in a vehicle, the plate on that vehicle is stolen. So my experience is exactly opposite of yours!
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X