Firearms Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms Training

I'm heading for Iraq on contract in may.

I've been looking in attending training courses to bring up my skills.

I'm at an advanced level with hand-to-hand combat however I'm looking into firearms training.
    I'm willing to travel to the US or Canada for training and money is no barrier.
    I'd like to get to as advanced a level as possible but I'm just having difficulty finding facilities that look like they provide a professional service.

As I'm not a US citizen would this be an issue?
    Remember that I come from a country with an unarmed police force, I've never even seen a firearm in my life.

What do you recommend?

Most firearms and defensive skills training centers I have attended require a social security number and some form of birth records to conduct a background check on you prior to training. You may get hung up on this part.
    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I have no difficulty in providing the Irish equivalents (PPS Number and birth cert/passport), providing certification from Irish authorities that I have no criminal record (not so much as a parking ticket in fact), and if required paying any additional fee's to have an international background check carried out.

Comment

Some of the best, more affordable training for both civilian/military is the International Security Academy in Israel. I attended a 6 week training course there 2 years ago. I highly recommend them. The Israeli's know there stuff.

http://www.securityacademy.com/

Another place you can check out:
        http://www.isiusa.us/
        Last edited by Special Investigator; 11-24-2006, 04:59 PM.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Consider the "High Risk Security Operations" course from Blackwater Security.

HRSO - 7 Days - $2200
          "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Keep in mind that hand-to-hand is great, but that you'll be engaged by the enemy via IED, RPG, and AK, not hand-to-hand.

I'd go with Blackhawk, but the Israelis are pretty damn good at firearms training, especially engaging " targets " in crowded areas full of non-combatants.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Something else to consider too...
              Blackwater has a "Immersion" (Spelling-4 hrs sleep) language school that teaches the language plus customs which may come in handy if you are going to be in contact with the locals.

I always found out knowing a little about an area helps. I am saying this from having been to South America Africa, the Mid-East, Europe, and Asia.

Comment

Oh, yeah... Learn the language and customs! Especially because those four indigs next to you are plotting to kill you.

Just like the two Mexicans in your back seat are discussing 1) Can he speak spanish, 2) Think he knows if we're plotting to kill him, 3) I'm not going back to Mexico, 3) Get his gun.... Now.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys!

I've signed up for a course from Task International in Switzerland.
                  And I'm doing a follow-up course in Canada in January.
                  Looking at blackwater for the future.

http://www.task-int.com/firearms-training.htm

Just a side note: I'm already fluent in arabic so language aint a problem.

Comment

Like Nathan indicated, it's not the small arms that you need to worry about. You are far more likely to die from an IED, RPG, suicide bomber, or an embedded sniper.

Short of driving around in an Abrams tank, your survival depends on not being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since that cannot be predicted with accuracy, it all comes down to odds.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                      Like Nathan indicated, it's not the small arms that you need to worry about. You are far more likely to die from an IED, RPG, suicide bomber, or an embedded sniper.

Short of driving around in an Abrams tank, your survival depends on not being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Since that cannot be predicted with accuracy, it all comes down to odds.
                      You're not even safe in the Abrams. Especially from dismounted infantry within the minimum range of your .50 cal.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X