Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EMTGuard
    I HATE the term Rent-A-Cop.
    Probably stems from the public's confusion about the difference between a cop and a security guard. Were stuck with it now though. No way that "label" will disappear, anymore than the "labels" used by the public to describe the police. Call it tradition.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Was told the good old name of being a storm trooper. I smiled at him and said I am a sci-fi fan. But I am more into Star Trek. Call me a red shirt instead.
      My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

When I worked security part time and full time as first mate on a harbor towboat,my co-workers referred to me as"One Bullet Barney"until someone started breaking into the cars up on the hill.
        Then they wanted me to stay off the boats and watch the parking lot.
        Bag that.I did that enough at posts where other guards would stay in one store chatting up the hot cashiers instead of walking their post and letting people know that they could be getting watched as they broke into cars.

Comment

Okay, I think I've heard a new one. One individual at my company has the name "corny dog".
          The story behind the name:
          This guy and his partner, who were working an apartment complex in a rather dilapidated area, partnered together in one car, decided to go take an authorized break. They drove down to the 7 eleven and removed their weapons, just like state law says they have to, before going in. They got cokes inside, walked back out, then drove down to a Sonic. Mr. CD ordered six corned dogs. He ate five of them while they are returning to the complex. He had no idea where the sixth one went. He was convinced his partner ate it. They reholstered when back at the property. Five minutes after they got back, they rolled up on a carload of suspects trying to rob a resident. They got out and approached. His partner drew his .45 on the suspects. He drew a fresh corned dog on the suspects, pointed it at them, and told them to show their hands. He didn't realize for nearly ten minutes it was a hot dog.
          "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

the God awfull names we are called

my view is let them call us names because in the long run very near future our country will be seeing more and more security guards because of the terroist and crime that seems to be taken over.These same people who call us names and laugh will be thanking God security will be there to serve, especially when law enforcement officers are going to be too buzy to aid the public. so I feel these same people will regret calling us names and laughing at us.

Comment

why do police officers give us such a hard time?

Myself and a couple of my guards have been on our way to work get pulled over by a police officer and the officer have the nerve to ask (after seeing us in uniform) what are you doing impersonating a police officer. has this ever happened to any of you? or is it just a georgia thing?

Comment

Originally posted by midnightelmo
                Myself and a couple of my guards have been on our way to work get pulled over by a police officer and the officer have the nerve to ask (after seeing us in uniform) what are you doing impersonating a police officer. has this ever happened to any of you? or is it just a georgia thing?
                He/she may have just been 'busting your chops.' At any rate, try not to allow the actions of one LEO to influence your view of all LEO's. Just like s/o's, there are good ones and troublemakers.

On a positive note, I recently had a police officer stop in to see if I needed any coffee, etc. He took the time to drive over to a coffee place and bring back some coffee for me at no charge.

Comment

Indeed, not all of them are crasp. But some are just being funny with you. Last night I was checked out by a few of them that saw me sitting in a bank parking lot waiting for one of our clients to show up and work on an ATM.

I don't wear a traditional uniform but I showed them my ID and shield. He smiled and wanted to know where I got such sharp looking ID cards. They look better than his department's IDs. He laughed and said maybe they should stop putting money into the donut fund and into the supplies fund.

Cool bunch of cops. But as you know there are always the exceptions.

Regards, have a safe New Year. And watch you heads!
                  My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Two thousand dollars (and that's for a big model) gets you a Fargo or Magicard unit, a webcam, and a bunch of cards. Print IDs that look like most state driver's licenses. A far cry better from what I've been issued.

Yeah, I like Magicard IDs alot better than the "laminate a business card," or "print it on your inkjet" variety.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                      I don't wear a traditional uniform but I showed them my ID and shield. He smiled and wanted to know where I got such sharp looking ID cards. They look better than his department's IDs. He laughed and said maybe they should stop putting money into the donut fund and into the supplies fund.

Cool bunch of cops.....
                      I enjoyed the funny story.

Comment

Top Flight has been it, by one of our warehouse guys. I don't mind at all, this particular guy and I get along ok.

For the most part, I (or my people) don't get any static at all. I've heard rumors that most of the people we "secure" against consider me a "bad mo-fo" which comes in handy sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by midnightelmo
                          I complain about this happening a lot. It's one reason I carry a pocket recorder. The last officer to try to accuse me of impersonation had to answer to his assistant chief and was ordered to never contact me again after I convinced the city they would be on the losing end of a lawsuit. I thought that was a Texas problem, but I see it's more common than I believed.
                          "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
                            It's one reason I carry a pocket recorder.
                            I love my pocket recorder. Lately we've been having problems with one of the employees at the plant I'm assigned to. She works in the front gate scale house which is in the same building as the guard house. Security has to issue out scale tickets and sign off on all the bills of out going trucks before they leave the plant. This came about because lots of stuff was going across the scales that the scale operators weren't recording. The Company got tired of the theft and had the contract security tasked with double checking the paperwork from the scale house. This particular employee has a special problem with all of the Security/EMTs who have to work with her and loves to file complaints with her supervisor and union rep which lead to Security Personell getting removed and fired. After the first run in with her where she went to her supervisor with totaly bogus charges and I lost a week of work and pay on suspension I made sure to keep my pocket recorder with me. I filed 2 complaints since then against her with my Security supervisor which included a wav file of the audio of her verbal harrasment attached to the email with the complaint. Her union rep was NOT happy to hear that security was recording her little fits and had to be reminded that in the past the company had taken her word over the security officers but the recordings clearly show a pattern of problems with this scale operator.
                            My little pocket recorder has saved my job already. It has more than paid for itself.
                            Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyhat
                              You could always ask the Cop "Why are you impersonating a Security Guard?"
                              Let us know how that works out for you.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the union lobbies for the client to prohibit pocket recorders. This negatively affects the credibility of the union.
                                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X