Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age discrimination

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Age discrimination

    Before you younger guys or former marines answer the following, put your self in the shoes of a 40+ year old!

    The Montreal Police are in the process of taking over security in our metro system. The Security Officers/By-Law Enforcement Agents are being offered jobs with the new police squad IF they meet the police requirements. Most of the staff already have the educational requirements. They have their driving licesnes for emergency vehicles. The only extra training most need is firearms since they presently are only armed with PR-24s. I problem that has come up which has meant that a large number of security people have been rejected is that the 40+ year olds are being expected to pass the same physical fitness test as a 20 year old recruit. Is this fair? Would it not be fairer if they were required to be in the same physical condition as the average 40 year old donut eating cop?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

  • #2
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Before you younger guys or former marines answer the following, put your self in the shoes of a 40+ year old!

    The Montreal Police are in the process of taking over security in our metro system. The Security Officers/By-Law Enforcement Agents are being offered jobs with the new police squad IF they meet the police requirements. Most of the staff already have the educational requirements. They have their driving licesnes for emergency vehicles. The only extra training most need is firearms since they presently are only armed with PR-24s. I problem that has come up which has meant that a large number of security people have been rejected is that the 40+ year olds are being expected to pass the same physical fitness test as a 20 year old recruit. Is this fair? Would it not be fairer if they were required to be in the same physical condition as the average 40 year old donut eating cop?
    HotelSecurity:
    I was under the impression from two visits to Canada, all major police departments are required to maintain a certain physical fitness level from day one. They are physical tests every year. Those on your SWAT undergo evaluation every 90 days.
    How far off am I?
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bill Warnock
      HotelSecurity:
      I was under the impression from two visits to Canada, all major police departments are required to maintain a certain physical fitness level from day one. They are physical tests every year. Those on your SWAT undergo evaluation every 90 days.
      How far off am I?
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill
      I'll have to check but I don't think Montreal has annual physical tests with the possible exception of the Intervention & Technical Squads. (Anti-riot & SWAT). If they do, from what I see on the street they are not as strict as the tests given to raw recruits.

      Neil
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

      Comment


      • #4
        The P.O.P.A.T is the test used by a lot of police departments. I believe Canada uses it also. I do believe that Montreal Police should give them ample time to get in shape for this test to be fair. Also I believe the test should be given every year to all the police officers. If they can pass the test they can eat as many donuts as they want.

        http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/poli...escription.htm

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HotelSecurity
          I problem that has come up which has meant that a large number of security people have been rejected is that the 40+ year olds are being expected to pass the same physical fitness test as a 20 year old recruit. Is this fair? Would it not be fairer if they were required to be in the same physical condition as the average 40 year old donut eating cop?
          Hmmm.....Well In my police academy class there was a 46 year old that was in better shape than 2/3 of the class which was about half his age. Being physically fit has much more to do with an idividual's personal commitment to getting him or herself into, and then staying in shape rather than his or her age. Bottom line, if you want something bad enough you'll make the sacrifices required to get it.

          Now don't get me wrong, I know there is a percentage of cops that are indeed out of shape, but from my experience by and large most of them are in better shape than the average person. Our very survival requires that we are. Oh, and one more thing.....WE DON'T HANG OUT AT DONUT SHOPS! It's the new millenium.....so STARBUCKS is the "in" thing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by grussem
            Hmmm.....Well In my police academy class there was a 46 year old
            I'm interested. What police department hires 46 year olds. I don't know if it stll is the case but most police forces around here will not hire after 35.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HotelSecurity
              I'm interested. What police department hires 46 year olds. I don't know if it stll is the case but most police forces around here will not hire after 35.
              HotelSecurity:
              There was a TV story about several county sheriff departments entering 60-year old men in their academies. One law enforcement mandatory retiree, 57, was featured. He said he was bored and wanted back in the action. According to several of his classmates, he ran circles around them and took instruction and correction well, better than some 20-somethings.
              Chief Moose left a county in Maryland and just finished recruit training in the Honolulu Police Department. He gaind fame for his responses in the DC sniper investigation.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by grussem
                Hmmm.....Well In my police academy class there was a 46 year old that was in better shape than 2/3 of the class which was about half his age. Being physically fit has much more to do with an idividual's personal commitment to getting him or herself into, and then staying in shape rather than his or her age. Bottom line, if you want something bad enough you'll make the sacrifices required to get it.

                Now don't get me wrong, I know there is a percentage of cops that are indeed out of shape, but from my experience by and large most of them are in better shape than the average person. Our very survival requires that we are. Oh, and one more thing.....WE DON'T HANG OUT AT DONUT SHOPS! It's the new millenium.....so STARBUCKS is the "in" thing.
                Starbucks? You guys must be getting more money than our cops. They are still stuck at Dunkin' Donuts.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  HotelSecurity:
                  There was a TV story about several county sheriff departments entering 60-year old men in their academies. One law enforcement mandatory retiree, 57, was featured. He said he was bored and wanted back in the action. According to several of his classmates, he ran circles around them and took instruction and correction well, better than some 20-somethings.
                  Chief Moose left a county in Maryland and just finished recruit training in the Honolulu Police Department. He gaind fame for his responses in the DC sniper investigation.
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill
                  So that's where he went. Good for him. Definitely a good cop.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    Starbucks? You guys must be getting more money than our cops. They are still stuck at Dunkin' Donuts.
                    Well, the cost of living is higher, and it IS California.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      hey everyone

                      Being from Ottawa Canada I figured I better chip in here, First thing Hotel Security I have taken the Metro in Montreal I could have sworn the security there had tasers: I guess I saw wrong but I did notice the PR-24 on there Duty Belt. When it comes to OPS (Ottawa Police Service) they are required to meet physical fitness requirments every year, the test is called PARE (police activity readiness exam) and resembles an obstacle course from what I understand. Bill, In Ottawa our swat team is Called ERT (emergency response team) for what its worth . From what I see the majority of officers in Ottawa are younger I believe OPS starts to hire at 25.

                      hope this helps
                      stay safe
                      Ben

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Defensive tactics
                        Being from Ottawa Canada I figured I better chip in here, First thing Hotel Security I have taken the Metro in Montreal I could have sworn the security there had tasers: I guess I saw wrong but I did notice the PR-24 on there Duty Belt. When it comes to OPS (Ottawa Police Service) they are required to meet physical fitness requirments every year, the test is called PARE (police activity readiness exam) and resembles an obstacle course from what I understand. Bill, In Ottawa our swat team is Called ERT (emergency response team) for what its worth . From what I see the majority of officers in Ottawa are younger I believe OPS starts to hire at 25.

                        hope this helps
                        stay safe
                        Ben
                        Thanks Ben. ERT is the same name our FBI uses for its response teams. Ben, they may be only 25, but they have been well seasoned.
                        WWI Canadian pilot Brown, the man many credit with having shot down Germany's Red Baron, once stated in 1918, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots." That goes the same for LEOs and Security Officers.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                          I'm interested. What police department hires 46 year olds. I don't know if it stll is the case but most police forces around here will not hire after 35.

                          SPD (Shreveport Police Department) has the physical requirements listed from ages 21 to 60+....I was alittle thrown off by the 60+ but hey it's whatever.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The majority of the departments in this are hire anywhere from 21 - 60ish... In fact, one of the local Captains told me just a couple weeks ago that they 40+ year olds they've hired have turned out to be some of their best Officers... Age plays no part, as long as you're able to do the job.
                            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                            Originally posted by ValleyOne
                            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                            Shoulda called in sick.
                            Be safe!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              No Ben, no taser for the "Métro Cops". The Squad Technique (SWAT) have them. The Intervention Squads (anti-riot) are just getting them. The Métro people in spite of what most citizens think are not sworn peace officers & can't carry tasers or pepper spray etc.

                              Neil
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X