Looking to switch to an armed account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to switch to an armed account

I've been at my current site for 6 months now and during that time I've seen 2 complete turnovers of security officers. My plan was to stick around until I received my exposed weapon permit then find something that paid better. For example I'd heard rumors of armed accounts that pay $18 per hour and up. The account I'm on is actually pretty well run and the contract company I'm with offers decent benefits, free dry cleaning service, nice looking uniforms, decent pay for an unarmed account, etc. The main problem with it is unless I'm working lots of overtime I end up in the red each month.

So I received my exposed weapon permit a few weeks ago and have since talked with a number of security companies. So far my experience has been this: the companies that will hire someone without previous exposed carry experience don't pay any better then the better paying unarmed jobs. And those accounts that pay $18 and up are nearly impossible to get unless your an ex-LEO. I guess that should come as no surprise. So after emailing or calling a dozen companies I finally got a call back from one company that has in-house armed security. I went down and interviewed with them today. The pay is slightly higher then the company I'm currently with (a buck and a half) and it sounds as if the benefits are pretty decent, though the place seemed a bit disorganized and I wasn't very impressed with the uniforms and the only guns they allow are 38s that look like they've been around since the civil war. But I suppose you have to start somewhere.

There's also companies such as Brinks and Loomis but if I wanted to fight traffic while picking up and making deliveries under a deadline I'd take a job with FedEx or UPS where the pay is much higher and the risks considerably less.

If anyone knows of any companies in the Los Angeles area that offers armed accounts at a decent rate of pay and with good benefits ($13 and up) shoot me an email.
    Last edited by CAR54; 11-15-2006, 12:26 AM.

Have you thought about checking with the agency that does the Federal Reserve thingy? (protecting federal reserve shipments and federal buildings) It used to be called the 'Federal Protection Agency' (FPA) years ago but its called something different now. It might be called the 'Federal Protection Service' now. I used to worked for the FPA in the '80's until my position was eliminated. Decient pay & benifits.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

My advice would depend on your overall goals in this field... Are you planning to get into LEO work, or are you trying to move up in the private sector? If you have no experience carrying, then the higher-paying sites aren't even going to look twice at you, as they want someone who's already trained, experienced, and can hold their own out there.
      If you seriously want one of those higher paying spots, you'll probably have to take one of these lower-pay ones, and hang in there for a while... And no, 6 months probably isn't going to cut it... You'll probably need at least a year of carry experience before some of those really good jobs will start looking at you as a candidate.... Not to burst your bubble or anything, but remember that carrying a weapon is a VERY serious business, and most of these companies don't want to take any chances on a 'green' recruit
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

Comment

You might look into the contractor who has the sites such as the social security offices and such. I don't know who has the LA area, but up here in Sac the company is NCLN20, and the pay starts about $19ph with decent benefits. (Not refering to the Fedral agency someone else refered to.)

I will hire green armed officers, as I don't get any bad habits that I need to break. I train them how I want them trained. My guys/gals start at $14ph with med/dent available after 90 days. I require Guard Card, Exposed Firearm Permit, Baton Permit, Pepper Spray Permit. 1st aid/ CPR is a plus, but I will put them through that class if the right person applies and doesn't have it. I won't even look at an applicant who doesn't possess those permits. I then conduct an interview. Those that I like get to interview with my boss, and he makes a final decision on who gets hired. Those that I don't like, get a nice "Thank you for your time" letter.
        "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

CinePlex Theaters, in Redlands start out at $15 an hour, and there are quite a few others as well. It is very common for armed to get payed in this price range in Cali.. I loved cali for that! LOL!

Check into bars as well. You may not be uniformed work, but alot are armed work, and pay very well. Just get a ride to and from work.. You dont want your ride getting messed up!
          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
            CinePlex Theaters, in Redlands start out at $15 an hour, and there are quite a few others as well. It is very common for armed to get payed in this price range in Cali.. I loved cali for that! LOL!

Check into bars as well. You may not be uniformed work, but alot are armed work, and pay very well. Just get a ride to and from work.. You dont want your ride getting messed up!
            In California unless you have a CCW and an exposed permit you can not work armed without a uniform. He lives in Los Angeles. He will not be able to get a CCW.
            "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

I was gonna say, unless he's on first name basis with the Sheriff of Los Angeles County...

I like green armed officers so long as there's an FTO program in place. You're right, they don't have bad habits and they're not full of the "Security Urban Legends" that so many people have.

"You can only shoot someone if they have a gun."

"Security guards can't use a baton, I don't care if you have a permit, only the police can use it. Its just for show."

"That gun is just for show. It shouldn't even be loaded. My last company would give us guns that were welded shut, and I felt better carrying that thing. I knew I never would have to worry about going to jail for killing anyone."

And, my personal favorite...

"We're not citizens, we're security guards. Those laws don't apply to us."
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Yes, but you can go through any one of the Security Academies, and get your firearms permit for security. If I can remember correctly, its about $250, and a week long course.
                Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Federal Reserve Police do the gigs protecting federal banks & depository's, transport shipments, exchanges, etc. This is a LEO job, not security, although the job is close to it, in that it is mostly static work with not much action, but you have full statutory leo powers, a great place to start leo work, if you can get in. They constantly recruit, but because of the obvious HIGH monetary contact & trust nature of the position, above & beyond the leo duties alone, selection is tight.

Federal Protective Service does small scale diplomatic, federal facility & ops protection duties and a few things of a more closed nature, as it operates under, but as an entity of DHS / ICE. They also have oversight for applied security elements on a few lower threat level facilities, ops, ect that fall under the federal umbrella, yet do not warrant or by assesment, should emplace a high profile "police" protection presence.
                  This is also a full sworn LEO gig, both require federal academy (FLETC) to a greater or lesser extent for entry, or lateral in from previous LEO experience, w/prior federal strongly prefered. They also contract out (oversight duties again) to prior/current leo's acrossed the country, for big things that kick off, where federal response is too great for the relatively small (1100-1200 nationwide) fulltime FPS ranks can fill.. these include federal force protection, rapid deployment & tac teams,..which is how I initially got in.
                  The good thing is, FPS & FRP (at my last check), was exempted from the age cut off for federal leo employment (37yrs old) much unlike USBP, USFS, FBI, DSS, DEA, etc. where appointment must be prior to that birthday date.
                  Just understand, its not "security" work, if this is what your looking for, these are not armed guard, or O&R post, you are a cop, expected & trained to act like one should the need arise & the hire process is the same as.
                  Hope this helps. Yoda

>>Have you thought about checking with the agency that does the Federal Reserve thingy? (protecting federal reserve shipments and federal buildings) It used to be called the 'Federal Protection Agency' (FPA) years ago but its called something different now. It might be called the 'Federal Protection Service' now. I used to worked for the FPA in the '80's until my position was eliminated. Decient pay & benifits.<<
                  Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

Comment

I'd like to thank everyone who responded.

There was a retired LEO working at my site recently for a couple days. He told me I should at least try out for some of the Police Depts' in my area. Honestly I thought I was too old (47) but figured I have nothing to lose so I might as well give it a try.

Today I took the written test. I can safely say I was the oldest guy in a class of around twenty. Really the test was pretty simple, I imagine things just get harder from here on.

I talked with a few of the other applicants. Two had tried and struck out with other departments for various reasons. Another mentioned the importance of doing LOTS of running and strength training as that can be a big factor in getting hired and making it through the academy. A few were clearly WAY out of shape and I can't imagine what they are thinking. Maybe they think they can lose weight and get into shape once they're in the academy. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Course they were probably looking at me and thinking "WHAT is that old fart thinking?".

I'm actually, for my age, in great shape. Though I rarely run, just mountain bike and swim.

Then there's the background which can take up to a year (I hear). Not to mention the oral board, psychiatric review, polygraph, etc etc..Fun Fun Fun.

I heard out of every 100 applicants only around 3 are actually hired. So the worst that happens is I get into great shape then get turned down. I suppose I could live with that.

As another officer said, "don't sweat it, you already have a job"..course that other officer also lives at home with his folks and doesn't have to support 2 kids with a job that only pays $11 an hour..now THAT'S motivation!
                    Last edited by CAR54; 11-18-2006, 11:48 PM.

Comment

I would like to add some motivation CAR54..

Dont sweat the process. Thats what it is. Your age will be to your benefit. Too many people are still immature. Also, look at the process as you go:

Written exam, you seen 20 or 30 right? Now, you pass it, and onto the next step, you will be lucky to see half the people you took the written test with. When you go to take your PT test, you will end up with maybe 15 on a bad day, a good day, 10. Once you complete your PT test, and pass, you will be lucky if there is 2-5 left. Looking at that, most fail the backgound because they dont understand that a background is an integrity test, and alot of people hide stuff from the background. Once you have admitted everything, and been completely honest, even over the dumb stuff, you and maybe one other may be all that is left for the oral! Go in confident, dont change up your answers and stick with them, be personable, and I am sure you will land the job!

Also, if you happen to not pass any of the portions of the process, go through it again.. it will pay out to you at the end, as they like to see persistance!
                      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X