Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing a great job could cost you your job??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doing a great job could cost you your job??

    What do you do if your boss is getting jealous because of comments from others that you are doing a great job? What if you sense that s/he is nitpicking your performance because they are worried that you might get their job?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

  • #2
    You been showing off at work again? Shame, shame.
    Hospital Security Officer

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by EMTGuard
      You been showing off at work again? Shame, shame.
      Not intentionally. Actually, since my job is less about enforcement and more about helpfulness, I try to engage the client's employees and contractors in some pleasant chit-chat or funny jokes to lessen the drudgery that the office environment so often provides. I also go out of my way to assist those who may be discouraged or depressed. I figure giving someone a listening ear can go along way towards avoiding workplace violence.

      At any rate, I recently went from PT to FT work and I have sensed that my supervisor thinks I'm gunning for his job, which couldn't be farther from the truth. In the past, saying something like: "Boy, I wouldn't want your job!" and playing dumb about some technical matters seemed to pacify his concern regarding the job. Since I started FT, I think that more people have noticed my MO and have commented favorably about it. Thus my dilemma.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mr. Security
        What do you do if your boss is getting jealous because of comments from others that you are doing a great job? What if you sense that s/he is nitpicking your performance because they are worried that you might get their job?
        I've never been good in that situation. The only thing I might suggest is to go out of your way to make him look good to his boss, compliment him, etc. (without being too obvious), let him share in the credit for some of your ideas ("Joe and I were thinking it might be a good idea to....")

        That's about all I can think of.
        Richard Dickinson
        Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
        DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
        www.hrdickinson.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mr. Security
          What do you do if your boss is getting jealous because of comments from others that you are doing a great job? What if you sense that s/he is nitpicking your performance because they are worried that you might get their job?
          Been there, done that my friend. I posted along post about it somewhere on this forum. In a nutshell: My former boss was in his 70's. He thought everyone was after his job. He fired people he was afraid of. The law prevents people with over 3 years experience being fired without a very good reason so instead he sent me to work at one of the other hotels that only have the overnight shifts for 2 years. He got sick & I was brought back downtown as Director. He got better, got his job back & spent the rest of his life trying to force me to quit. He died within a year. So my advice, hang in there!
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Guys

            I appreciate the comments. What's kind of ironic is that HRD used the name "Joe" and that's his name!

            HRD: Do you have some kind of hidden listening device in my computer?
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Mr. Security
              Not intentionally. Actually, since my job is less about enforcement and more about helpfulness, I try to engage the client's employees and contractors in some pleasant chit-chat or funny jokes to lessen the drudgery that the office environment so often provides. I also go out of my way to assist those who may be discouraged or depressed. I figure giving someone a listening ear can go along way towards avoiding workplace violence.

              At any rate, I recently went from PT to FT work and I have sensed that my supervisor thinks I'm gunning for his job, which couldn't be farther from the truth. In the past, saying something like: "Boy, I wouldn't want your job!" and playing dumb about some technical matters seemed to pacify his concern regarding the job. Since I started FT, I think that more people have noticed my MO and have commented favorably about it. Thus my dilemma.
              Mr. Security:
              That can pose a problem for him as well as you. Your reputation will hold you in good stead.
              Showing genuine concern for a fellow human being is what we are supposed to be about. In the sincere lending of an ear, can reap untold treasure in the way of well-being for those you come into contact with and the intelligence you can gain is beyond measure.
              You hit upon a key point, workplace violence. Your pattern of behavior should impress those around you favorably and reduce the anxiety level.
              A supervisor who tries to get rid of you for petty reasons is a very insecure individual. His actions will cause the others to rally around you and he will then notice his hate has come back to haunt him.
              We need more like you in this profession and on this earth.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

              Comment


              • #8
                Sadly, the biggest lesson in life I have learned, is that doing the right thing can be costly. Does this mean I stop from doing the right thing in fear of loosing.. Psshhyaa, no! LOL.. Keep truckin the way you are doing. Even if you ever loose your job over doing the right thing, it is worth the value you take home. Being right doesnt always reward. But its something you can take with you, and if you get fired over it, then thats not a place you want to work!
                Deputy Sheriff

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  I appreciate the comments. What's kind of ironic is that HRD used the name "Joe" and that's his name!

                  HRD: Do you have some kind of hidden listening device in my computer?
                  That's really strange. I thought of using Ralph, Oscar, etc. and thought "why try to be cute, I'll just pick Joe". Having said that, yes, I do have a listening device on your computer!!
                  Richard Dickinson
                  Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                  DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                  www.hrdickinson.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mall Director
                    Sadly, the biggest lesson in life I have learned, is that doing the right thing can be costly. Does this mean I stop from doing the right thing in fear of loosing.. Psshhyaa, no! LOL.. Keep truckin the way you are doing. Even if you ever loose your job over doing the right thing, it is worth the value you take home. Being right doesnt always reward. But its something you can take with you, and if you get fired over it, then thats not a place you want to work!
                    Mall Director, you are a guy for which I have a great deal of respect. I feel the same way and the older I get, the more it rewards me, in many ways. How the heck can you go wrong over the long term. I learned that from my parents and have passed that on to my kids. Of course, my kids don't hear a thing I say and my wife calls me the consumate Boy Scout!!
                    Richard Dickinson
                    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                    www.hrdickinson.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just remember and tell yourself this...

                      I am sexy, its not my fault, i was born this way. Dont hate me for my intellegence!

                      Remind your wife of this.. Granted you may be sleeping on the couch for a day or two, but you will feel better having reminded yourself that others wish they had the standards you do! LOL! Its a rough world!
                      Deputy Sheriff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by hrdickinson
                        That's really strange. I thought of using Ralph, Oscar, etc. and thought "why try to be cute, I'll just pick Joe". Having said that, yes, I do have a listening device on your computer!!
                        Just as I suspected "99." I must warn the Chief that "Kaos" has infiltrated "Control" Headquarters. I'll call him on my shoe-phone so that HRD can't eavesdrop.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have to wonder why a supervisor in your company would be so insecure in his position. Is your company upper management in the habit of playing "musical chairs" with supervisors on a whim so that one minute you're a supervisor, and then suddenly you're demoted just because someone noticed that you have a high-performing officer on your team?

                          It all sounds screwy to me. I'd frankly be much more inclined to demote a supervisor who did NOT develop high-performing officers on their team, rather than one who DOES have such officers workng for them. What's more, I wouldn't necessarily promote an officer merely because he was high-functioning in his job, either. High performance in your present job falls short of implying that you should necessarily be promoted, as most promotions will require knowledge and skills other than the ones required in your present position. A good "follower" (team member) is not necessarily equipped to be a good "leader".
                          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                          "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                          "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                          "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A good supervisor will get satisfactory service out of mediocre employees; conversely, a poor supervisor will demoralize or disaffect the best trained employees.
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill

                            Comment

                            Leaderboard

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X