Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security Guard License

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Well i don't know about the rest of the world but in England the new SIA license requirement is a complete joke. And i have voiced my views on this from the start.

    The company pay for you to take the course, which at the time i took it was about £190 ($350 maybe) which you were told you would pay back to the company if you left the company.

    All well and good, but i was under the impression that the SIA license wouldweed out the chaff - like it is supposed to do in all the paper promises. But when you sit through a three week course like a good boy and do all your homework and get marked on your test and get 100% i think its a little bit unfair that some people who blatantly fail the test are then HELPED through the whole thing in order that they acheive a pass grade.

    Imagine my surprise when i hear of another officer who not only failed the proper test, but could not pass when helped either. This particular individual was essentially told to sign a blank test paper and told he had passed. I've heard of others who've had the same thing done to them.

    What kind of advertisement for a supposed improvement is that? So like I said, it a complete joke. No wonder the security industry is looked on in england the way it is. It pains me to say that i'm tarred with the same brush as those people. The only thing that the SIA license has enforced IMHO is it holds you to ransom with the company who paid to put you through the test. You pay to leave the company, when the time comes.

    If i wasn't so frustrated i swear i'd probably die crying.

    Comment


    • #32
      Either way you have to take the test and pay out money each year for your lic. Also for your arm lic. you got to take it. I had a buddy that had to take it to go to a navy island but he failed ,becuase he didnt understand the test ,he was to honest. I found out the arms test is mainly they want to know if your a loner or not if you are you fail every time if your a out going person you will pass it everytime. So i told him to lie on the test that he was a out going happy guy when he did he past the test.

      it is sad that they even do test becuase half the guys you get working with you ,you really dont want them as partners or your afraid they will shoot you in the back! Or they will not back you up and you have a better chance by yourself.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by geordiekimbo View Post
        Well i don't know about the rest of the world but in England the new SIA license requirement is a complete joke. And i have voiced my views on this from the start.

        The company pay for you to take the course, which at the time i took it was about £190 ($350 maybe) which you were told you would pay back to the company if you left the company.

        All well and good, but i was under the impression that the SIA license wouldweed out the chaff - like it is supposed to do in all the paper promises. But when you sit through a three week course like a good boy and do all your homework and get marked on your test and get 100% i think its a little bit unfair that some people who blatantly fail the test are then HELPED through the whole thing in order that they acheive a pass grade.

        Imagine my surprise when i hear of another officer who not only failed the proper test, but could not pass when helped either. This particular individual was essentially told to sign a blank test paper and told he had passed. I've heard of others who've had the same thing done to them.

        What kind of advertisement for a supposed improvement is that? So like I said, it a complete joke. No wonder the security industry is looked on in england the way it is. It pains me to say that i'm tarred with the same brush as those people. The only thing that the SIA license has enforced IMHO is it holds you to ransom with the company who paid to put you through the test. You pay to leave the company, when the time comes.

        If i wasn't so frustrated i swear i'd probably die crying.
        Oh yeah and I forgot to mention no increase in hourly rate to take into account the aleged "semi-skilled" nature of a job with a license.

        Comment


        • #34
          Most of these licenses are not to be "skilled" or anything. Its to provide a level of accountability to the people, through the government, for an industry that "people" believe is full of undesirables. Yet, of course, they want these people guarding their stuff, and sometimes themselves.

          Keep in mind that the people who make your food in a fast food place must also be "licensed" or "certified" and also make low wages. Different licensing board, of course. Ok, they still make more than the average security guard, but still.

          The states are not trying to teach anything, here in the US, with a firearms license. They're measuring minimum qualifications for carrying a device designed to take human life. All they want to know is:

          Do you know when NOT to shoot?
          Will you hit the target when you shoot?
          Are you a felon or have other disqualifies?

          That's ALL they need to know. Tacticool shooting courses and that are beyond the scope of minimum qualification, simply because the state recognizes that most companies don't want their people trained in firearms handling or marksmanship.

          Think about it. Did the state require marksmanship training, or simply assessment?
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #35
            around 2001 when i got my California Guard Card, there was this company which eventually got bought out by ABM, well this company gave the test open book, it was supposed to be closed book, this company would if you failed take your test, and "re-mark" it for you so that you would pass, if they thought you were a good canidate, i think that they should make getting your guard card, done by some one else other then the hiring companies.
            Its not how we die that counts.....
            Its not how we lived that counts....
            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
              around 2001 when i got my California Guard Card, there was this company which eventually got bought out by ABM, well this company gave the test open book, it was supposed to be closed book, this company would if you failed take your test, and "re-mark" it for you so that you would pass, if they thought you were a good canidate, i think that they should make getting your guard card, done by some one else other then the hiring companies.
              Won't change it. Companies can't give out the D course, only "schools" can. So, they just certify another DBA as a school with the school license, and either give the test themselves, or they lean on other school companies to do it.

              "I'm sending you 20 new hires. I need 20 guards back."
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

              Comment


              • #37
                does anyone know what happens if you move to another state? Could you keep your license and permits or would have to go through whatever the process is for that state?

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by dsoul27 View Post
                  does anyone know what happens if you move to another state? Could you keep your license and permits or would have to go through whatever the process is for that state?
                  VERY few companies allow reciprocity. And even then, its usually temporary. You get to go through the whole thing again. My Florida license was worthless in Wisconsin, and with some employers, seen as a liability since I had over 70 whole hours of training, while their guards get zero hours of training.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

                  "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by dsoul27 View Post
                    does anyone know what happens if you move to another state? Could you keep your license and permits or would have to go through whatever the process is for that state?
                    typically you have to be licensed under the new state... such as my cali card was no good in utah, my utah card will be no good in new mexico when i move there
                    Its not how we die that counts.....
                    Its not how we lived that counts....
                    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      thanks guys.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        dsoul

                        Your welcome!
                        Its not how we die that counts.....
                        Its not how we lived that counts....
                        all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

                        Comment

                        Leaderboard

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X