New Officer to this forums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Officer to this forums

Hi yall, I was reading through the site and saw that most officers here are professional and I thought that I would join in.

Currently Iam a Armed Security Officer at an airport in ND.
    We issue real parking citations,and if someone chooses not to pay it, a warrant of arrest is issued. We have a crown vic patrol car with red/blue strobes- its a city car, we can drive anywhere in town with it if need be and not have to cover the lightbar on it. LOL
    and we are radio dispatched by police communications center, we do have the ability to run NCIC and also license plates. Iam not a screener, we have TSA here, but we patrol/protect all airport property including people.

I love what I do, but somedays dealing with the public can very tough. Alot of people do not understand that since 9-11 alot of things have changed at US airports.

Thanks
    J
    Last edited by plankeye; 11-27-2005, 01:06 AM.

Interesting. From what I'm used to, you'd be either a deputy sheriff assigned to the airport, or an "Airport Police Officer." Do you have special or regular police powers through the city, or through DHS-FPS?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

No special police power, can only do private person arrests. They did have at one time airport police, but that changed and went with security instead,
      As with NCIC and plates, that is something that I do believe TSA required and the local police were ok with it as long as they didnt have to have an officer out there at the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by plankeye
        No special police power, can only do private person arrests. They did have at one time airport police, but that changed and went with security instead,
        As with NCIC and plates, that is something that I do believe TSA required and the local police were ok with it as long as they didnt have to have an officer out there at the airport.
        Interesting. I can, obviously, see the usefulness of running NCIC. I have had access to plate running software in Florida before, which is nice.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Thanks Jim
          we are licensed through a state agency
          NDPISB
          North Dakota Private Investigation and Security Board

Comment

Hi yall, I was reading through the site and saw that most officers here are professional and I thought that I would join in.
            Welcome. You're the kind of s/o that we like to have here. One that appreciates the need to be professional. That's my standard for participating in a forum as well.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Hi yall, I was reading through the site and saw that most officers here are professional and I thought that I would join in.........
              Welcome to the Forum.

Comment

hello and welcome i was just wondering do you carry any Med Gear in your cruiser and what assault weapons do u hvaem

Baton,OC,Taser,Firearm

Also restrainig equipment

Cuffs,LegChains,Stabilisers?

Comment

All of us carry firearms, only handguns though, most of us carry .40 's and .45 autos some older officers carry revolvers no assualt weapons
                  No med equipment, when there is medical emergencys we contact Airport Fire/Rescue on our radios

We all carry cuffs, some carry pepperspray, no one carries a baton.

Comment

no one carries a baton.

I tell you Plankeye,

I've carried a baton for almost 9 years now I even became a certified ASP instructor and I've never really needed it, I just recently took it off of my duty belt to lighten the load.

I think the more experienced you get the more you realize that you don't have to carry an armory on your person.

In the immortal words of John Rambo " the MIND is the best weapon".

Comment

I carry a baton for two reasons. The first is liability management.

Prosecutor: "Did you have other force options available before you had to shoot this man?"
                      Me: "I had available every force option that is legal for a private security officer to carry in this state."
                      Prosecutor: "And you believe the man left you no choice?"
                      Me: "He did not."

This stems from reports I've heard and personal stories told to me about deputy sheriffs, security guards, armed security officers, and police officers "forgetting" their PR-24 or straight stick in the car, or electing not to carry one. They would get into a shoot, and all of a sudden the "missing weapon" meant that "one level of the force continium was not available." And it turns into, "Could you of stopped the attack / controlled the suspect by striking him with a baton, instead of shooting him?"

I'd say, if I didn't want one on my belt, I'd buy an ASP 16" Airweight series. Stick it behind my gun or my flashlight, and ignore it. "It was there, but I chose to use OC instead," etc...

Oh, and the second is that sound. If its just some yahoo who isn't serious about doing harm or resisting, that sound scares the living crap out of them. That's also why I carry a 31" chrome baton. Deploying a bright metal stick with a gleam and a snap actually does make some people think twice.

Comment

hmmm ok i think that is rather strange as i find htat asp's can de-escalte
                        most situations without firearm usage or drawing.

But ok !

and i agree that the noise of an asp racking does make people think twice although 31", phew.........
                        Last edited by aaron; 12-20-2005, 12:52 PM.

Comment

How would you know?

Originally posted by aaron
                          hmmm ok i think that is rather strange as i find htat asp's can de-escalte
                          most situations without firearm usage or drawing.

But ok !

and i agree that the noise of an asp racking does make people think twice although 31", phew.........
                          How would you know? Someone pulled an ASP on you when you were running aorund in a Batman costume?

Comment

Honestly, the idea of an asp "de-escalating" a situation is a bit of a fantasy. Anytime I've had to pull it out it was because there was a melee situation I couldn't handle with my hands and it was unsafe to pull out the oc spray can. The tough guys were also "more" ready to fight, not less. Beware the psychology of your suspects.
                            Then again, the idea of pulling an asp out of a "shoulder holder" is also a fantasy. I would look ridiculous in such a getup.
                            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

The sound of an ASP surprises people. It allows for a good first strike if it needs be. However, its pretty much stock and trade now - everyone who's used to fight law enforcement of any type are used to hearing it.

The sound and sight of an extended baton only works on those who think "I'll just dust the guard up a little, I won't hurt him." One of the "testing" people. They wouldn't think of doing it to an armed police officer who WILL arrest them, but they'll think nothing of it to a security guard who can't arrest them.

Then they note that big chrome stick in the guard's hands, and realize that they got more than they baragined for.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X