Do you take needed breaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackhole
    I'm in the same boat as the rest of most of you, grab a meal when you can. It's rarely a problem, especially now in the summer when the campus is mostly empty of students.

I got into a discussion with my supervisor a few months back about our official policy on meal breaks. Apparently, it's a 20-minute "working lunch" where you can be called off if needed. Interesting, since the State of New York states that if I work an 8-hour shift, I am entitled to 2 15-minute paid breaks (where I can't be called off for work) and a 30-minute unpaid lunch break.

Of course, I'll never say anything to anyone at work about it, since I'd rather have a 20-minute paid lunch than a 30-minute unpaid one. 80 hour checks > 75 hour checks.
    Someone did say something about it in Florida, same rule. Because of the "nature of the work," you are required to be available at all times during the shift. Unless you are properly relieved for that 30 minute lunch break, you can't take it lawfully (dereliction of duty.) Also, that would mean your shifts are 8.5 hours long. The lunch break cannot be deducted from your total working time.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I have only worked one site, which was the State Capitol Building where you would come in in the morning and dependant upon which section of the building you were scheduled in that day, there was a list of lunch break times. As you came in in the morning you would sign up for which breaks and lunch times you wanted.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
        Someone did say something about it in Florida, same rule. Because of the "nature of the work," you are required to be available at all times during the shift. Unless you are properly relieved for that 30 minute lunch break, you can't take it lawfully (dereliction of duty.) Also, that would mean your shifts are 8.5 hours long. The lunch break cannot be deducted from your total working time.
        My supervisor brought up a similar caveat, stating that security officers did not count towards that rule. I silently disagreed with him, but I can see that falling under some sort of deriliction clause.

It's a moot point anyway, I'm more than happy with my meal and break periods.

Comment

When I started this company I actually had to sign a paper saying that I understood I would not be given "traditional breaks"

Comment

My officers get 1 fifteen minute break during an 8 hr shift, thats it. Thats just the nature of the game. Other than that they are either stuck in a housing unit or on the recreation yards.

Comment

At the hospital we use to work an 8 hour shift with a paid 30 min meal break, but you were subject to being called out of your meal.

About a year and a half ago we went to an 8.5 hour shift with a protected 30 min meal break (unpaid). Our contract officers fall under the same rules.
              "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by aka Bull
                At the hospital we use to work an 8 hour shift with a paid 30 min meal break, but you were subject to being called out of your meal.

About a year and a half ago we went to an 8.5 hour shift with a protected 30 min meal break (unpaid). Our contract officers fall under the same rules.
                What prompted the change?

Comment

What prompted the change?
                  We had two officers (both of whom left within a couple of months of the change) complain to HR that they were stressed caused they could have a guaranteed 30 minute meal break every day.

The rest of us never even got asked what we felt.
                  "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by aka Bull
                    We had two officers (both of whom left within a couple of months of the change) complain to HR that they were stressed caused they could have a guaranteed 30 minute meal break every day.

The rest of us never even got asked what we felt.
                    What a bunch of bull****.

Can I ask what type of place you work at? Sounds just like where I work, all the whiners get their way.

Comment

Yeah, we get two 15's and a 30 per 8-hour shift, an extra 30 for 10's and 12's. I take them whenever offered. Union contract states that because you're technically "on-call" during said breaks (defined as being unable to turn off the rover and take a nap), you get paid for that time, on top of the hourly pay.

Thus, an 8 hour shift gets you 8 hours of pay, plus an extra hour (15+15+30) at the same hourly wage.

Personal rule #1- Never stand when you can sit.

etc.

Comment

Definately true.. I give all my people breaks, and a lot of them.. Our Corp and regs say two 15 mins, and one 30 minute lunch..

If its dead, and all is well, stop in at the 10-19 for a while, relax, play with some papers, eat some snacks, and chill. Some days my people get anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. Some say its wrong as they get paid.. but these people that I have know when its a good time and a bad time. And when the heat turns up, they run hard all shift long.

I personnaly believed that if you get out there and give 150% and keep things straight when its a disaster, then you are entitled some down time, because unlike other industries, you cant count on when its gonna get hot again, and by then you wont have time to take a "break"!
                        Deputy Sheriff

Comment

What a bunch of bull****.

Can I ask what type of place you work at? Sounds just like where I work, all the whiners get their way.
                          A public hospital owned by the city, but run as a non-profit. The hospital hasn't taken a dime in tax money since about 1976.

Comment

Meals
                            After a period of work of five consecutive hours, the employee is entitled to a 30-minute rest period (without pay) for meals. If he is not authorized to leave his work station, this period shall be remunerated.

Again Quebec has a law on the subject. This time I found an English version
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X