Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    Mr. Security:
    It happens when you do not wear blinders. What do your post and/or patrol orders state? Are you just to make a ride by or look for things out of place or that may pose a danger?
    He may not have the experience or the moxie and therefore represent "bright-eyed and bushy tailed." That will make a novice superior nervous.
    In a subtle fashion, what five elements need to be in place to establish a crime or point in that direction? Don't push it, look deadpan and watch the facial expressions.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    They are lazy and resent my thoroughness, which has saved the client thousands. Since it makes them look bad, they are pressuring me to conform to their "we don't care" attitude, typical WBS stuff. I'm tired of fighting a hopeless battle. The system is broken and there isn't anything that I can do by myself to change it. Now I just hit the electronic keys and move on. I've given up; my spirit is broken.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
      They are lazy and resent my thoroughness, which has saved the client thousands. Since it makes them look bad, they are pressuring me to conform to their "we don't care" attitude, typical WBS stuff. I'm tired of fighting a hopeless battle. The system is broken and there isn't anything that I can do by myself to change it. Now I just hit the electronic keys and move on. I've given up; my spirit is broken.
      This is why I love warm body security. Yet another person broken in and "one of the team."

Give it a few, they'll put you back in the suit, too.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        PM to follow!
        Bill

Comment

The product you are looking for is the sprinkler stop, sold at thefirestore.com
          Here's the link for it, http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...prinkler_stop/

Sure you're gonna get soaked putting it in, but it can save a big headache in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by cnick001
            The product you are looking for is the sprinkler stop, sold at thefirestore.com
            Here's the link for it, http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...prinkler_stop/

Sure you're gonna get soaked putting it in, but it can save a big headache in the long run.
            Thanks! I don't mind taking a shower if I can prevent a flood.

Comment

Listen to ol' Uncle SecTrainer here, boys...for your own sake, do NOT "fix" or in any other way modify any sprinkler system without having the proper training, authorization, FD approval and, in some states, fire protection system licensing.

I don't care what it's "costing" the company to have water leaks, how annoying it might seem to "do nothing", or anything else. I don't care if the last known copy of the Gutenberg Bible is dissolving into a puddle of damp crumbs. I'd move the Bible if I could or take some other action to preserve the asset, but this is truly one of the few cases where I'm in agreement with the "observe and report" principle as the absolute extent of what you should do because Life Safety code enforcement is deadly serious business. You want this to come down on the company if it comes down on anyone...and not on you. In fact, if a fire marshall comes in and finds wooden wedges, self-purchased sprinkler heads installed, 55-gallon drums and funnels, or any of the other things being done that some people have suggested here, heads WILL roll, and it's even possible that somebody's gonna go to jail.

Something else to consider is that there's a strict protocol for recharging "wet" systems, etc. - as this appears to be - after repairs are made, sprinkler heads replaced, etc. There's air that has to be bled, pressures have to be re-equilibrated, and a whoooooole bunch of other stuff that goes into bringing the system back on line and if you don't do it just right, well, "getting wet" isn't going to be one of your worries at all, no sir, unless there happens to be a leak in the fire system over at the unemployment office too 'cause that's the very best you can hope for. Me, I'd flat can an officer in a New York minute if he did any of this stuff.

Now, as I said, if you can take some other action to protect the asset, fine. If you see a computer getting wet, for instance, you might be able to move it out of harm's way, throw plastic tarp over it or do something like that and you'd have my congratulations, perhaps even a nice little "spiff" as your supervisor for your quick thinking. If you dash over to Ace Hardware or jump on the Web to buy sprinkler heads or do mods to the fire system of any kind, though, your "spiff" would be pink in color and would say "Dear Mr. Fire System Fixer-Upper-Modder: YOU'RE FIRED!"
              Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-12-2006, 05:51 PM.
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
                Listen to ol' Uncle SecTrainer here, boys...for your own sake, do NOT "fix" or in any other way modify any sprinkler system without having the proper training, authorization, FD approval and, in some states, fire protection system licensing.

I don't care what it's "costing" the company to have water leaks, how annoying it might seem to "do nothing", or anything else. I don't care if the last known copy of the Gutenberg Bible is dissolving into a puddle of damp crumbs. I'd move the Bible if I could or take some other action to preserve the asset, but this is truly one of the few cases where I'm in agreement with the "observe and report" principle as the absolute extent of what you should do because Life Safety code enforcement is deadly serious business. You want this to come down on the company if it comes down on anyone...and not on you. In fact, if a fire marshall comes in and finds wooden wedges, self-purchased sprinkler heads installed, 55-gallon drums and funnels, or any of the other things being done that some people have suggested here, heads WILL roll, and it's even possible that somebody's gonna go to jail.

Something else to consider is that there's a strict protocol for recharging "wet" systems, etc. - as this appears to be - after repairs are made, sprinkler heads replaced, etc. There's air that has to be bled, pressures have to be re-equilibrated, and a whoooooole bunch of other stuff that goes into bringing the system back on line and if you don't do it just right, well, "getting wet" isn't going to be one of your worries at all, no sir, unless there happens to be a leak in the fire system over at the unemployment office too 'cause that's the very best you can hope for. Me, I'd flat can an officer in a New York minute if he did any of this stuff.

Now, as I said, if you can take some other action to protect the asset, fine. If you see a computer getting wet, for instance, you might be able to move it out of harm's way, throw plastic tarp over it or do something like that and you'd have my congratulations, perhaps even a nice little "spiff" as your supervisor for your quick thinking. If you dash over to Ace Hardware or jump on the Web to buy sprinkler heads or do mods to the fire system of any kind, though, your "spiff" would be pink in color and would say "Dear Mr. Fire System Fixer-Upper-Modder: YOU'RE FIRED!"
                We covered this subject to some degree in the posts prior to yours. Basically, it comes down to what you know the client wants. Sprinkler heads can malfunction and have done so right before my eyes. Once the sprinkler head activates, the FD is automatically dispatched at my site. As long as I'm sure that the head malfunctioned, I will stop that head from flooding the area and wait for the FD to arrive and give the "all-clear."

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X