What Would You Do? - #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Do? - #2

Let's say your facing two (2) assailants about 20 feet away, one has a knife in his hand, the other has a handgun in his waistband.

Q. Which one do you shoot first?

And please explain why.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

You’re assuming that deadly force must be used? I'm not sure that your question can be answered accurately without more specific information. Even then, unless one is actually there, the "answer" still might not be right.

BTW: Why are you asking these questions?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Inside of 21 Feet a knife is considered a deadly force authorized situation. I would draw my weapon and order them to drop their weapon. If the situation remains the same and the knife weilding assialant approaches shoot him first, if the gun guy reaches for it and starts to draw shoot him. There are way too many variables in this question.
      Robert
      Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        BTW: Why are you asking these questions?

For discussion, what else? Being new here, I'd thought I'd post something intelligent and constructive.

I've posted this subject on other boards and have gotten some wild answers. I'd like to see how others would answer this scenario.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

~~George Orwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Special Investigator
          For discussion, what else? Being new here, I'd thought I'd post something intelligent and constructive.

I've posted this subject on other boards and have gotten some wild answers. I'd like to see how others would answer this scenario.
          Who knows, but you. That's why I asked. I don't make assumptions. You need to remember that we don't know who you are or what your motives may be. No one is automatically verified when becoming a member and we normally get to know a member by his/her posts over time. We have had our share of imposters here, so we are a little weary when a new member starts asking questions like yours.

Comment

We have had our share of imposters here, so we are a little weary when a new member starts asking questions like yours.
            Understandable. I've interduced myself in the "Introductions and Welcomes" forum if you'd like to know more about myself.

http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...ead.php?t=1784

~~George Orwell.

Comment

I'll check it out. Welcome.

Comment

Who knows, but you. That's why I asked. I don't make assumptions. You need to remember that we don't know who you are or what your motives may be. No one is automatically verified when becoming a member and we normally get to know a member by his/her posts over time. We have had our share of imposters here, so we are a little weary when a new member starts asking questions like yours.
                Mr. Security, I agree with that
                Before asking us for solutions, recommend you first ask those in law enforcement in your jurisdiction. They will point out the law and all of its requirements.
                If you work for a security company, what do you operating procedures require for the use of deadly force. If it is not spelled out, ask your leadership, and, in your opinion, the answers are convoluted or nebulous then you are on shaky grounds.
                As suggested by Mr. Security, verbal commands spoken with authority is the first rule. Make the windows rattle.
                If you sense anything out of the ordinary and are armed, remove your your sidearm and hold it slightly behind your strong side with your index finger on the frame of the sidearm, never on the trigger, that is an extreme emergency challenge posture.
                If they approach you after you have put them on notice, raise the weapon and assume a modified "Weaver" position.
                The person with the drawn knife is the most dangerous of the two.
                As a school question, how do you know the second subject has a firearm in his belt area? If you can discern that, you are too close to draw your sidearm because if the subject with the knife is within 21-feet of you, you have 3 tenths of a second to draw the sidearm, acquire a sight picture and squeeze of a round.
                Don't do anything dumb, go through the chain of command if you are employed. If you freelance, talk to your local law enforcement agency.
                If we are talking about henhouse protection, I want to know the information provided does not aid the fox.
                Follow Mr. Security's sage advice, think it out and seek professional assistance.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

I just hope I remembered to put my pistol in my pocket before leaving the house.
                  Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                    I just hope I remembered to put my pistol in my pocket before leaving the house.
                    Either you have really big pockets, or its time for a man's gun
                    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                      Either you have really big pockets, or its time for a man's gun
                      Bersa Thunder .380. Fits right in my front pants pocket.
                      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Arff312
                        Inside of 21 Feet a knife is considered a deadly force authorized situation. I would draw my weapon and order them to drop their weapon. If the situation remains the same and the knife weilding assialant approaches shoot him first, if the gun guy reaches for it and starts to draw shoot him. There are way too many variables in this question.
                        Arff pretty much nailed my response on this. 20 feet is too close for this situation. My instincts would be to draw my weapon and start issuing orders, as I'm backing away to try & gain some ground. If possible, maybe look around for some cover/concealment in case the other guy draws. But if the first guy already has his knife out, he can easily cover the 20 feet between us before my gun is firing. Reminds me of the drills during qualifications where we practiced standing 5 feet from a subject with pen & notebook in hand, (taking notes, writing DL info, etc.). Then when the instructor yelled "GUN!", tossing the pen/notepad at subject and drawing while retreating and putting 2 shots center-mass. After running that drill over & over, we got pretty good at drawing while backing up quickly..
                        Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                        Originally posted by ValleyOne
                        BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                        Shoulda called in sick.
                        Be safe!

Comment

Bridgegate hit it. 20 feet is too close, seek cover (from the handgun, as it can go through concealment that the knife can't) and engage either target that begins to use lethal force against you.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Here is what I was taught.....

It would depend on a number of factors, but generally, you should shoot the guy with the knife first.

Why, you ask? Two reasons....

1. First it takes only 1-1/2 seconds to close a 20 foot gap. Thats faster than most folks can draw, aim and fire a handgun. So unless your prepared, your probably going to get cut.

Multipule knife wounds are more likely to hit a major artery and cause serious injury or death. After all, only 1-in-10 people die from a bullet wound.

2. The second reason is that psychologically, a knife wielding attacker is more blood thirsty and his silent knife makes it more likely that he will be the one who will attack first.

Any comments on my answer?

~~George Orwell.

Comment

I would probably agree that the knife wielder is the greater threat if you're at close range. But as N.A. said, you have to be prepared to deal with both. Like I said, I'd be drawing and retreating at the same time. If I can create a big enough gap, I've taken the threat of the knife at least temporarily out of the equation.

So I guess in response to your initial question:

"Who do you shoot first?"

Answer would be: The one who just cut me.
                              Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                              Originally posted by ValleyOne
                              BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                              Shoulda called in sick.
                              Be safe!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X