Becoming a Security Guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Security Guard

I live in New York and still in highschool and barely passing. College is not what I want to do and my have always wanted to get into law enforcement. Im looking to become an armed security guard and I would like to know anything about the job as possible.More than half of jobs for security guards were in investigation and security services, where can I find some in New York? Where exactly do you start? Where to make the most money? What to expect?
    Last edited by Queens; 11-25-2005, 01:05 AM.

Since your still in hight school, almost all the armed positions here in Michigan require you be at least 21 years of age before being allowed to carry a firearm. Have you ever thought of community college in your area? Many community colleges have criminal justice degree programs. See if there are any schools that have it and apply for financial aid if necessary. Oh, also check out campus/public safety (camus security) positions. They may hire people about 18 years old, that could a taste of LE possibly. Also malls have a lot of public interaction with there customer service roles. Mall security officers (SOs) also enforce mall regulations, assist (sometimes) merchants with shoplifters. I hope this helps, good luck and take care.

Comment

have always wanted to get into law enforcement. Im looking to become an armed security guard
      Securioty is better than law enforcement. They can get more arrests and don't need a warent

Comment

If you think security is all about arresting people, please rethink your desire to enter law enforcement or security.
        In your original post, you stated you were in high school and barely passing. Why are you barely passing? When you enter either security or law enforcement there is a lot to learn, nimble of mind and fast on your feet. Those who are not, quickly fall by the wayside, get themselves or others killed or injured.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by SEOHopeful1
          Securioty is better than law enforcement. They can get more arrests and don't need a warent
          we dont answer to the government either. So when I catch a shoplifter I can hit them or whatever I want to do. as long as there are no marks.

Comment

In Texas, you only need to be 18 years of age to work as an armed guard.
            Be careful though, some companies only have the guts to land contracts with apartments where you really do need a firearm to protect you ability to observe and report.
            Office building security is usually much nicer and out of the ghettos and weather.
            I have my armed licence, duty gear and everything else needed to go look for some juicy drama to report.
            But as of now, I enjoy my unarmed post at an office building in uptown Dallas Tx. where I am the "substitute building manager" after hours.
            Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
            Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

how much to security guards make? (armed and unarmed)

Comment

In Dallas Tx, about 9-12 bucks an hour is the norm for standing guards armed and unarmed who are decent.
                $6-$8 an hour for guards who are not even officers that are just warm bodies who sleep at thier posts a little too much.

BTW, I am certified and licensed to carry any handgun semi-auto (pistol) or non semi-auto (revolver) and 12 guage pump shotgun.
                I'm also licensed for handcuffs, OC pepper spray, and collapsible baton.
                I don't mess around when I go to an armed post, I carry all the good stuff to keep any peace that there is available to keep.
                Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

What are some good companies to join? And do I get training by them or do I go to some school after Highschool to get the training?

Comment

From the New York State Department of Something or Other... http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/guardfaq.html

What are the requirements for registration?

Generally speaking, applicants must be 18 years of age, have completed an 8-hour pre-assignment training course, and have not been convicted of a serious criminal offense.

Are there additional requirements for an armed guard registration?

Yes. You must complete a 47 hour firearms course, and submit the certificate with your application for issuance of an armed guard registration card.

So, basically, you take an 8 hour course approved by the state (The company may or may not offer it, expect to pay money for it), and submit to an FBI fingerprinting check.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Becoming A Security Guard

I believe that a person straight from High School, would have great difficulty in obtaining employment as a Security Guard with a reputable Security Company.

The very nature of the job requires a mature person with prior work experience and the ability to relate to and interact in a diplomatic manner with people from all walks of life.

People employed as Security Guards usually have experience in industry and or the militay and want a job change due to redundancy or retirement.

Many Security Guard positions entail long hours of boredom and inactivity with only oneself for company and is therefore in my opinion not the job for a school leaver.

Comment

"Becoming security" has requirements that differ from state to state, as each political subdivision's laws are different. I don't really know anything about your situation, but hearing about "barely passing" in high school is usually attributable to other things than a lack of smarts. Some people need employment for financial and emotional stability. Once that, along with a cast iron work ethic, happens then grades tend to improve gradually. Most states will require that you graduate. I'm not sure about New York. I have heard New York has unions for just about everything and that includes private security. You should probably seek out a union rep and ask questions there.
                        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

If you are seeking employment as an armed guard then you should consider taking some college courses. Warm body security shcmurity companies will take you but the work is boring and the pay is low.

If you desire a position with a reputable security company, be aware that they will probably want to see some higher education in lieu of your poor grades.

In my company for instance, we do a great deal of report writing (documentation), so the company looks for people who hold or are seeking a higher education.

Good Luck to you..

Comment

Do you think its possible to get hired by a company to be an armed guard if I had no experience but all the required training?

Comment

Originally posted by Queens
                              Do you think its possible to get hired by a company to be an armed guard if I had no experience but all the required training?
                              Definitely yes.
                              I really wish you would start off as an unarmed 1st though.
                              My training has stated more than once to treat armed security posts as if you were unarmed.
                              In other words don't be a John Wayne type at armed security posts.
                              You draw your fire-arm only when the prospect of a long court trial is outweighed by your fear of dying from that cocaine/crack laced thug lunging at you from behind a bush with a knife a few feet away..BAM!!!
                              Great care is required to be an armed guard with a long and successful career.

The better unarmed posts are usually office buildings with cameras, politics and some paperwork.
                              There are quite often guys your age working in those type of posts putting themselves through college and often doing thier homework at thier posts there when things quiet down after hours.
                              Last edited by 3rd_shift; 11-26-2005, 09:16 PM.
                              Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X