Green exit lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green exit lights

On a recent trip to Florida ( and a past one to California) , and of course in a countless number of movies, I have seen green exit lights instead of red. Is there a reason?
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the green is for regular exit and the red indicates fire exit.
    Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
      Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the green is for regular exit and the red indicates fire exit.
      No that is not the reason. I have seen green fire exit lights here in Montreal. But actually in Montreal they don't say EXIT they say SORTIE

Here is something I found on the net: http://www.lightpanel.com/green.htm

I wanted to have green ones on one of the stairways in my notels & red ones on the other. In case a stairway was blocked we could make PA announcements telling guests which stairway to use. Then I remembered my brother is colour blind. He would not be able to tell which sign was green & which was red.

Talking about exit signs something I have also seen here in a hospital in Montreal but no where else are exit signs located 2 or 3 feet above the floor level as well as being above the doors. This makes a lot of sense. Smoke rises & quickly blocks the signs over the doors. The ones near the floor don't get blocked as quickly. Wouldn't work in an hotel because of vandalism.
      Last edited by HotelSecurity; 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Wow! What a difference green makes in all that smoke. Green also means go whereas red means stop.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Amusingly enough, all exit signs in Japan are green. It is a national standard, much like anything over there.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            Amusingly enough, all exit signs in Japan are green. It is a national standard, much like anything over there.
            Do they say EXIT?
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

The reason you'll find that fire exit lights are green is because green light/s are seen more clearly in fire and heavy smoke, rather than red. Over here by law the large trucks that haul the sugar cane are allowed to have fitted and use green lights for when they burn the old cane stalks at the end of the sugar harvest season.

All fire exit lights in Australia are green, and must be green as it's the law. I've actually been lucky enough to be involved in a test which compared the red and green light in fire and the green light was so much more visible.
              A well trained dog is worth 10 men!

I can recall my dog, but I can never recall a fired bullet!

Would you prefer me to use the dog, the Glock, the baton or the O.C. spray? It's your health insurance so you decide. Alternatively there is always the handcuffs, followed by the Police with the court house preceeding rapidly after. Now which service would you like me to utilise

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                Do they say EXIT?
                http://westlake.k12.oh.us/allteacher...s/image002.jpg
                http://westlake.k12.oh.us/allteacher...s/image004.jpg
                They say EXIT in english, EXIT in Japanese, and have a picture of a guy running out a door.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X