Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrests

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Arrests

    How is it done where you are? On the tv shows like COPS I see a lot US cities have small vans that go to the scenes & pick up those arrested. In Montreal the neighbourhood police stations no longer have cells. There are 4 Operation Centers on the island. The arresting officers have to drive the suspects to one of these Operations Centers & do the booking process. Some of the centers are far from the patrol area. The time it takes for the transport & booking means the sector is not being patrolled. Do other cities have a system like this?

    By the way does COPS ever show rich people being arrested or always hilbillies?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

  • #2
    I prefer the way Andy and I did it. You know, like when Otis checked into the local jail, had a good night's sleep, and then a hearty breakfast from Aunt Bee. After that, he lets himself out and that's it here in Mayberry.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

    Comment


    • #3
      In "Car 54, Where are you?" we generally just drove them home..less paperwork that way. Ahhhhh, those were the days.

      Course that answer probably doesn't help much.

      Nowadays we just call the police, let them handle the arrest. Though "we" (meaning security) do get stuck writing an Incident Report.

      And for the second part of your question. As far as I can tell it's pretty much just poor people that live in trailers that get arrested on that show..pretty much the same crowd that appears on the Jerry Springer show. If you were to take away the arrests for possession of pot, small amounts of rock cocaine, prostitution and the occasional belligerent drunk there'd hardly be a show.
      Last edited by CAR54; 10-22-2006, 09:53 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        By the way does COPS ever show rich people being arrested or always hilbillies? [/QUOTE]


        Yep! Just us...
        Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

        Comment


        • #5
          Both here and back home we had to transport anyone we arrested ourselves. At LAPD we had our own holding cells in the station we booked anyone into. If the arrestee were going to be held longer than about 4 hours or so, the arrestee would need to be sent to Jail Division at the police headquarters. Usually, a van from Jail Division would be sent to pick the guy up.

          While working at the college, we did not have a cell to put arrestees in. We had to transport our bad guys directly to the county jail and book them there. The county jail was about 30 miles away from the college. While we usually had 2-3 cops working per shift, once in a while only one cop would be working. If the lone officer had to book someone, the college would be uncovered for the time he was gone, but fortunately this never did happen.

          Here on Kwaj we have two jail cells in the police station. The vast majority of people we arrest and held for about two hours or so while we process them, then they are released on their own recognizance until their hearing. Since I have been here, there have been two arrests for serious felonies. One was a child molestation case and the other involving hacking into a government computer system. Both those guys got to sit in our cells for a couple of days until the Army's Criminal Investigation Division could come and pick them up.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by histfan71

            While working at the college, we did not have a cell to put arrestees in. We had to transport our bad guys directly to the county jail and book them there. The county jail was about 30 miles away from the college. While we usually had 2-3 cops working per shift, once in a while only one cop would be working. If the lone officer had to book someone, the college would be uncovered for the time he was gone, but fortunately this never did happen.

            .
            Just about how it happens at my college. During day or evening shift, we usually have enough guys on that if we need to take someone to jail, we can. But sometimes we might only have 1 officer on duty, in that case either a supervisor has to come in and baby sit the campus, or we have to call Dallas PD (per our interagency agreement, they'll transport for us in an emergency, but I have yet to meet a Dallas Officer who who actually liked doing it lol, I wouldn't either matter of fact).

            The powers that be have been talkling about a "2 officers per shift, 24/7/365" minimum, but we know it'll never happen.....
            ~Black Caesar~
            Corbier's Commandos

            " "The trouble with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money." ~Margaret Thatcher

            Comment


            • #7
              LOL.. typically...

              If any of my staff conduct an arrest, I feel for the poor fellow (in a way, shhh) as its is a long process. The time spent on one arrest takes forever.

              We bring them into our control facility, where they sit and relax, watching us paperwork ourselves to death. Anywhere from a half hour to even a couple hours (friday+saturday nights), then PD shows up and takes custody of them. This part, the subject sits in the back of the PD units car, while the PD officer and us play paperwork exchange for another 20 minutes or so. The subject is then taken to the PD, where they spend another 3-6 hours while the PD officer does his/her reports and documentation. While this is being done, the subject sits in one of there tiny holding cells. When the PD officer is done, then they take the subject on a fun ride to another town where the correctional facility is, and the subject is then turned over to the sheriff's department, where they are inprocessed. From what I hear, the inprocessing can take a half day easily, where the subject goes from one tiny holding cell to another, until finally dropped in to a "pod". God forbid any one is ever arrested on a friday.. they have all weekend before having a bond set for release on a Monday, if they are lucky.

              I sit and watch these poor subjects (lol) because I just know they are in for the most boring time ahead of them.
              Deputy Sheriff

              Comment


              • #8
                I've heard of a program in Ottawa between stores and the police whereby if an LP arrests someone for shoplifting and certain conditions are met (I think it's 1st offense, compliant arrestee and the individual is a minor) the LP can speak to a Police Staff Sgt. over the phone, give them the pertinent details and the Staff Sgt. verbally authorizes the release of the individual. Works great, as no officer actually has to attend.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Shhhh.. Dont tell our PD, they would like it! LOL!
                  Deputy Sheriff

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In Pinellas County, Florida, a police officer generally makes a physical arrest, puts himself out on the arrest, and transports the person to the 49th Street Jail, even if they are 10 miles away in Tarpon Springs. Other units take over that person's assigned area while he's transporting his prisoner.

                    Unless, of course, they need to question the person beyond a field interview, then he goes to the police station and is interrogated there for a few hours. All LEOs must remand their prisoner over to the Sheriff for booking, though.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

                    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      In Pinellas County, Florida, a police officer generally makes a physical arrest, puts himself out on the arrest, and transports the person to the 49th Street Jail, even if they are 10 miles away in Tarpon Springs. Other units take over that person's assigned area while he's transporting his prisoner.

                      Unless, of course, they need to question the person beyond a field interview, then he goes to the police station and is interrogated there for a few hours. All LEOs must remand their prisoner over to the Sheriff for booking, though.
                      That's pretty much the way it works around here as well... LEO makes arrest, transports either to local PD station, or county jail depending on whether or not he has further interrogation to do... Other units cover his area while he transports.. (Fortunately, this isn't a terribly large town, so transport generally takes only a few minutes... booking takes a bit longer, of course)

                      The exception to the rule, of course, is the K-9 Officers... Since there's no room in the back for a prisoner they have to call another unit in for the transport... (Although personally, I think it would be quite comical to throw a perp in the dog's cage for a few, just to see him squirm... )
                      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                      Originally posted by ValleyOne
                      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                      Shoulda called in sick.
                      Be safe!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        bigshotceo
                        The protocal you are refering to is called shop theft protocal, It is rarelly actually used in LP (at least the stores in Ottawa I did) because the criteria are so strict

                        1. Only applies to theft under
                        2. Only 1 suspect
                        3. Co operative/no resist arrest
                        4. Not under the influince
                        5. Over 18
                        6. No priors

                        Your comment about the minor pecked my curiosity, Under Criminal code of Canada we can not release a minor we MUST call the police to come and "attend" to the suspect

                        stay safe
                        Ben Wallace

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mr. Security
                          I prefer the way Andy and I did it. You know, like when Otis checked into the local jail, had a good night's sleep, and then a hearty breakfast from Aunt Bee. After that, he lets himself out and that's it here in Mayberry.
                          Yeah, those were the good ole' days, huh, Barn?

                          Seriously though, regardless of which agency makes the arrest, they get transported downtown to the Sheriff's Main Jail. If it is Sac PD, they sometimes have a big old fashioned Paddy wagon (I think that is maily used for drunks) and sometimes the arresting officer does the transport. any other agency in the county is the arresting officers. the only exception to this is Folsom PD who run their own jail.
                          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Defensive tactics
                            Your comment about the minor pecked my curiosity, Under Criminal code of Canada we can not release a minor we MUST call the police to come and "attend" to the suspect

                            stay safe
                            Ben Wallace
                            The way I read the Crimnal Code you MUST turn ANYONE you arrest over to the police,

                            Neil
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                              Yeah, those were the good ole' days, huh, Barn?

                              Seriously though, regardless of which agency makes the arrest, they get transported downtown to the Sheriff's Main Jail. If it is Sac PD, they sometimes have a big old fashioned Paddy wagon (I think that is maily used for drunks) and sometimes the arresting officer does the transport. any other agency in the county is the arresting officers. the only exception to this is Folsom PD who run their own jail.
                              Didn't realize you were here 'Ange.' Welcome.
                              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X