How do supervisors check on us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do supervisors check on us?

How do supervisors check on us? When I was terminated from my last job they gave me a letter that said there were "several incidents" that I did not observe the patrol procedures for my post and that this was "substantiated" by the supervisor.

Do you think he may have been spying on me at times from a place where I did not see him?
    Last edited by The_Mayor; 10-17-2006, 04:51 PM.

No. They just know that you can't prove otherwise, so they added it to give their termination decision more weight. Once a company decides to get rid of you, there are endless ways and reasons to do it. In my state, you can be terminated w/o cause and notice. It's called employment "at will."
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

You will get some supervisors who will attempt to spy on people. We had a guy from another company come onto one of our properties in his car, all blacked out, with binoculars. The lot was across the street from our property, and faced the supervisor's property.

So, after noticing a glint of light, I used the cameras (when they still worked) to zoom right up on the guy. Radioed my supervisor, who dispatched the police, and we all decided to go pay this guy a visit since he's casing the factories.

We didn't buy "I'm watching my employees" very well, and the police officer went over while the supervisor was under "investigative detainment" and got the security employee from that site to verify, as well as called the office the guy worked for. The cop was adamant, if nobody can vouch, this guy goes to jail for night prowling.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I try to Coach and Counsel anyone before I even think of spying on someone
        To me that is degrading for both of us

I mentioned in another post. about falling alseep on the job.
        It is one thing to nod off after being at your post and worklng
        a double shift, or 16-plus hours. It is another issue if you bring pillows, your Teddy Bear,
        and blanket and lay down on a coach and sleep.

If I suspect you have your friends hanging around the Gatehouse
        when you work, then I may do a site inspection. But if your wife
        stops by for a moment with food from Burger King, then I'd give
        that a pass.

Other issues I may do a unnannouced site inspetion.
        Drinking alcohol on the job.
        Reading material that may be deemed offensive to some: Playboy, Hustler
        Stealing
        Leaving the Gatehouse and site, and returning several hours later.
        http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy
          I try to Coach and Counsel anyone before I even think of spying on someone
          To me that is degrading for both of us

I mentioned in another post. about falling alseep on the job.
          It is one thing to nod off after being at your post and worklng
          a double shift, or 16-plus hours. It is another issue if you bring pillows, your Teddy Bear,
          and blanket and lay down on a coach and sleep.

If I suspect you have your friends hanging around the Gatehouse
          when you work, then I may do a site inspection. But if your wife
          stops by for a moment with food from Burger King, then I'd give
          that a pass.

Other issues I may do a unnannouced site inspetion.
          Drinking alcohol on the job.
          Reading material that may be deemed offensive to some: Playboy, Hustler
          Stealing
          Leaving the Gatehouse and site, and returning several hours later.
          What about a "security" blanket? Is that OK?

Comment

They cultivate snitches!
            Booth

Comment

Originally posted by mike booth
              They cultivate snitches!
              Elaborate please.

Comment

I've never had a supervisor show up during my shift.
                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I've never "spied" on any of my guys, I think thats a bit chicken$#!+.
                  If there was an issue, it should be out front. I've seen some dirty tactics however, used to "get" a guy. Baiting, private video/audio recording, planting an informant, incriminating items, crossed up post orders, etc.
                  I always tried to play fair with those I supervised, having come up the ranks myself. There were somethings that would not be tolerated, other things I wasnt to concerned with as long as it stayed close vest, other things I didnt care about at all.
                  I made those known up front. My opinion, is, if your doing things as close to the book as your expected to within the guidlines of your supervisor, then you should have no real concerns about being spied on.
                  Now, having said that, if a problem was brought to me, be it thru the client, another officer or other legitimate source, then I would certainly pay close attention to that, very much so, if it had an effect on job function, client/officer safety or an effect yours truely. I'd see if I could substantiate anything before ever going up the hill or taking direct action. I most certainly would conduct unannounce drop in's, or double drop in's within hours of each other for "forgotten/lost paperwork".
                  As very accuratley stated previously, if they want you gone, your gone..eventually, the one thing the boss has on his side, is time & the ability to make life hard for you. Eventually, everyone will screw something up & that would be grounds for letting you go.
                  CYA & know when its time to read the writting on the wall..its always better to quit while your ahead, then be fired.
                  Yoda
                  Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
                    How do supervisors check on us? When I was terminated from my last job they gave me a letter that said there were "several incidents" that I did not observe the patrol procedures for my post and that this was "substantiated" by the supervisor.

Do you think he may have been spying on me at times from a place where I did not see him?
                    Mayor,

What a stupid post! Are you a security officer or not? Should we give you advice on how not to be caught blowing off your post orders? You remind me off the applicants that call up and ask if they past the drug screen....don't they know?
                    Richard Dickinson
                    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                    www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

I do not look at it as spying, I like my job and I expect the officers in my charge to do the job they were trained to do. I check my shifts at random should I suspect something just does not seem right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Xtreme
                        I do not look at it as spying, I like my job and I expect the officers in my charge to do the job they were trained to do. I check my shifts at random should I suspect something just does not seem right.
                        Cpt.Xtreme,

Exactly!
                        Richard Dickinson
                        Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                        DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                        www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Being a Director, this I have dealt with more often... than I care for!

Well, as I tell all my new officers, which is included in their manuals, and has been proven more often by those that do something in violation..

"As you put on this uniform, you are now the center of attention. We may be a visual detourance, but that comes from being visual. All eyes, good or bad, are on you at all times!"

Every time you go to work, just as you are watching others, remember that others are watching you. You will have those that will look for you to help them, and those that will look for you, to get away with something, and then those who look for you, to get rid of you.

I didnt start out in the Security Industry as a Director.. I came from somewhere. I too started out as an officer, so just flip the position you are in.. Not saying you are looking to get away with anything, but imagine if you were, just for pretend. Now, I am sure you have. Saying that, take it up a step, and remembering all the things that could have been gotten away with, and try to catch another doing the same.

I can catch any of mine simply by asking, and if they are truthful, well then its very hard for me to take corrective action as honest people are the best to keep, even if they fail at times. Then there are those that test me, and say one thing but with out knowing it, give themselves away. Then of course as said before, alot of people watch my people, so I dont need to be around watching them, there are so many others that do.

TIP: If you start getting the paperwork coming at you (counselings, warnings, suspensions), its best to go look for a new job!
                          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                            Elaborate please.
                            Sorry, I'm out of my lane. I've only been in the private sector for a few years. My "security" background is DOC. I was being sarcastic. In my experience, good supervisors know how to follow a paper trail. The log book, the inventory, the reports tell you who is working and who isn't, if you take the time to read them and stop by the post once in a while. Even better if you give a break here and there and actually work the post.

Again, and this is only my experience, I'm learning private sector security is a different animal, the easiest way to supervise is to cultivate a few "special" employees who will run back and tell tales on the rest of the staff. Now before everyone goes off on that whole dynamic, there is one thing I have noticed corrections does have in common with security. The tattletales don't care if the stories they are carrying are true, they don't care if the red flags they are throwing up are legitimate and the supervisors who listen don't care either. It is a win/win situation. Bosses who listen to snitches get to look like they are in charge. Snitches get to cherry pick their jobs and slack off.

Again, I appologize if I'm out of line here. I come from a "gray wall" background. We expect good supervisiors and good officers. We don't tolerate snitches or supervisors who jerk us around with trumped up charges.
                            Booth

Comment

I have seen normal everyday conversations with Guard staff and other building occupants provide clues to underperformers. They have also led to hearing good things, and I would rather catch someone doing something right and pass that info on.

Pennies on door handles, tape on doors would be more spy like.
                              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                              Groucho Marx

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X