• Show
Clear All

• S/O245
    replied
    sorry ment to say agree with BHR Lawson

Leave a comment:

• S/O245
    replied
    I agree with that. Nothing bad bout Marines. They serve just like the other Military Services do. And the bad worst out come is the same for all of them. Same with LEOs security and others in all types of uniforms fire/ems etc.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Mayor
    Even an idiot would not join the marines.
    This has to be the #1, straight to the top, most assanine comment I have ever seen on this board.

Leave a comment:

• S/O245
    replied
    A raise ? i wish lol. I did put in a request they printed it out incase they ever ran out of paper for the rest rooms at the office lol (joking) i did make a request and never got one. Not alot of people get a raise in my company

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Mr. Security, it is not only in contract security where you have a problem getting raises, it happens in-house too!
    Doesn't surprise me. Security Officers, Bank Tellers, and some LE positions are all noted for low wages.

Leave a comment:

• hrdickinson
    replied
    Getting a Raise

Mayor,

You have received some good advice to your post already. If the security client won't accept a rate increase, your chances of receiving a meaningful raise are slim. You can always ask to be transfered to a higher paying site.

If you show some leadership and intiative skills, and maturity, you should be eligible for a promotion to a supervisory role. It my not work for everyone, but my strategy was to always excel at what I did, every day, never turn down an opportunity to take on a new task and know when to ask for assistance.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric
    I did it the old fashioned way, performed consistently and kept applying for higher roles in the organization as they became open.

On a similar line to HotelSecurity's - a boss told me once, he had large pockets but very short arms.
    When the boss says: Thanks, just tell him that: "You can't take thanks to the banks."

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Mr. Security, it is not only in contract security where you have a problem getting raises, it happens in-house too!

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    I did it the old fashioned way, performed consistently and kept applying for higher roles in the organization as they became open.

On a similar line to HotelSecurity's - a boss told me once, he had large pockets but very short arms.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Some companies try to build raises in at 1 or 2 year intervals over the life of a 5 year contract. Unless the client cares about raises, they will be underbid by a guard service company that bids 3 guards at minimum wage.

For a client to "suggest" a raise, they usually must be able to take the increase in man hour cost, because the company may not actually give that increase unless the client pays for it. "Well, that's nice and all, but we are responsible for our employee pay, and we feel that we have a competitive wage for your site as is."

That's not grounds to terminate a contract, unless the guards are performing badly and there is enough evidence for material breach. They could terminate, take the termination fee and lump sum of remaining payments, and hire a company that pays their guards more, but... why?
    Exactly. In fact, that's how it went down at my site when we received raises.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Getting a raise is tricky with contract security because it reduces the profit margin between what the client is paying for the guard and what the guard is being paid.

I've found that when the client contact is exceptionally pleased with his/her security officers, they will ask the security company to give the officers a raise so that the same officers w/ their good service remain at the site.

Merit raises are another option. If you are recognized for performance, then that's a good time to ask.
    Some companies try to build raises in at 1 or 2 year intervals over the life of a 5 year contract. Unless the client cares about raises, they will be underbid by a guard service company that bids 3 guards at minimum wage.

For a client to "suggest" a raise, they usually must be able to take the increase in man hour cost, because the company may not actually give that increase unless the client pays for it. "Well, that's nice and all, but we are responsible for our employee pay, and we feel that we have a competitive wage for your site as is."

That's not grounds to terminate a contract, unless the guards are performing badly and there is enough evidence for material breach. They could terminate, take the termination fee and lump sum of remaining payments, and hire a company that pays their guards more, but... why?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Jackhole
    HAHAHA!!! That idiot was never in the Marines!
    Even an idiot would not join the marines.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Getting a raise is tricky with contract security because it reduces the profit margin between what the client is paying for the guard and what the guard is being paid.

I've found that when the client contact is exceptionally pleased with his/her security officers, they will ask the security company to give the officers a raise so that the same officers w/ their good service remain at the site.

Merit raises are another option. If you are recognized for performance, then that's a good time to ask.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by FDG06
    Semper Fi Mayor!
    HAHAHA!!! That idiot was never in the Marines!

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    You just started there, relax. Not to mention the fact that you were fired from your last job, I'd say you're lucky they even gave you a job in the first place - regardless of the wage.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X