No announcement yet.

battery on security officer law not being enforced in FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The law states you must be identified as a "licensed security officer," and a lot of companies are thinking, "Well, we can only employ licensed security guards, so this must count!"

This is wrong. Your patch must inform the public that you are a licensed security officer so they are pre-warned that striking you is a felony. This way, a LEO on scene can readily identify a licensed officer from an unlicensed one. I'm also hearing reports that in-house security and LP people are trying to apply the law, and they are not covered unless they have a D license!

This only works for contract or in-house D officers.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

your 100% correct nathan . The licensed wording must be on the uniform or your not covered i for instance have a namplate that says licensed security officer, Excelsior defense. so im covered under the emblem part of the statute.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Makes you wonder who wrote this law and had the fore thought to consider this technicality. How many companies are going to change their patches and insignia to have this law applied for use in the protection of their people? More than likely none. A few perhaps but I bet hardly any for the most part. TWC is supposed to change the logo and name but so far it's all the usual "he said, they said" going around. So I am sure no one has even considered this problem. TWC is still in the stone age in equipment and logistically despite being world wide and one of the biggest (part of G4S rather) companies about. I think it would look kind of tacky anyway that you have to have this on your company patches or insignia along with all the other lettering in order to have this law applicable.

LEO's don't have "State certified police officer" on their patches after all. Shows that narrow minded law makers in Florida take a few steps but not very many and always in the right direction.
        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Actually, its part of a political agenda. First, a LEO, by virtue of their position, readily identifies themselves as a LEO. Second, not all security personnel are licensed. The state can only impose its will (Chapter 493) on licensed employees. This is why it says "Licensed Officer."

Third, since it isn't just "security guard," you have to have some way for the public to identify a licensed officer from an unlicensed civilian. (Which is funny, because security officers are "no more or no less a civilian" in the eyes of the state.) If that language wasn't in there, the first thing I would do in a business is make EVERY EMPLOYEE a security guard. Boom, hitting any of them is a felony, even if they're "primary duties" are actually that of a stock clerk.

A law enforcement officer must identify himself before you strike him for the Batt. LEO to be charged with that crime. It can either be the uniform (visual identification) or yelling "I'm a cop!" (verbal identification.)

This had to be written as so for one reason: Florida is expanding the licensing program. If you want to be covered, then you must be licensed. Licensed officers are subject to 493 in its entirety. Like that pesky "cannot use force to protect property" thing.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X