Thinking of starting my own incentive program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of starting my own incentive program

Out of my own pocket, something like a twenty-five dollar gift certificate to bass pro, or department store. Officers must have no call offs, not be late or leave early, have over seventy percent in round totals (each officer, per shift, per day) etc.

Program would run for sixty days? Or should it be monthly?

Thoughts?

Pros? Cons?

Anything you would add?

Ive done similar things like free lunch or by the dept a few pizzas after a particularly rough time.

Pros shows that you are noticing them when they do a good job, is great for morale and motivates them to do better (specially your younger generation officers)

Cons What happens when you move on and are replaced by another supervisor. If he doesn't do the same thing then there will be resentment towards him.

Comment

It is good that you care.

A lot of supervisors look for a way to keep staff motivated and it may require different events or planning from time to time to keep a buzz about it. And of course it is difficult to pay tribute to all shifts.

How about "PRO RATED' pizza day every X months. Make it a learning event, get a speaker from management,a local company pushing a product or the Police, toss in pizza, and you have a group effort.
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt.Xtreme
        Out of my own pocket, something like a twenty-five dollar gift certificate to bass pro, or department store. Officers must have no call offs, not be late or leave early, have over seventy percent in round totals (each officer, per shift, per day) etc.

Thoughts?

Pros? Cons?

Anything you would add?
        How much money do you have? That will answer the 60 day or monthly question. I do like the idea of awarding for performance. A certificate of achievement, an engraved plaque at HQ with the officer of the month/year, or some type of uniform pin might work. Whatever you choose, the officers will appreciate it.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Definately! Absolutely! I did a whole thread on this in management, and I have received positive results! I dont mind sharing what I can!!
          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Thoughts?

Pros? Cons?

Anything you would add?
            Go for it. An officer I worked with was promoted to supervisor of a site. The site is a multi-million dollar site, with over 50 officers and three different companies sub-contracted under the company I used to work for. She got the job because the then-current supervisor was a bag-0-trash and no employees would stay there. She went in figured out a better schedule and started giving incentives monthly to her best performers. They were the guys and gals that got to work on time, did thier duties well and tried to excel. Well, its now the sixth month she's been doing that and she called me up the other day (for some outside advice) because she can't figure out who deserves the incentive more! It's kind of amazing, when you give someone a little recognition for a job well done, others see that and most of them strive to perform well also, everyone wins.

Comment

Thoughts?

Pros? Cons?

Anything you would add?
              Many security companies sponsor such programs. It is just good business. Take the idea to your supervisor/manager. You have a great idea, but it shouldn't come out of your pocket.
              Richard Dickinson
              Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
              DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
              www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Just a thought.. But it has worked for me..

Its a small idea, nothing impressive, but it many turns to it that benefit so many in a positive way.. Ge with some local merchants. Ask them if thye could help you by supporting an incentive program in which they may volenteer some items, services, or what ever, to your people that are awarded for excellence. In return, the patronage of your staff may increase their business, and its also an interest by your department of their company that can add to their clientel and safety. Examples:

Incentive for all employed at my department: I worked out a deal with a gym. Free membership to my officers, in exchange for the fact that my staff will frequent their establishment, which without provocation provides security while they are there excersing, just being there. Also, I provided a framed case with an ingraved plate and our department patch, that they get to hand on their wall for current and new customers to see, stating that this gym supports a safe community in cooperation with our department. And a final capper, I have a few officers that get a kick out of physical competions, and by representing the gym and our department, they compete against others. It also provides extras to the officer in rewards and in doing something positive with their time!

Rewards for employee of the month: A local small time resturaunt gave me free dinner certificates, in which I gave to the officer of the month. The officer gets a free meal, and the resturaunt gets an off-duty security officer in there business, who is enjoying eating his meal, all the while giving the sense of security ot the owners!

You would be amazed at how many other business's appreciate us in our industry!
                Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                  ... Incentive for all employed at my department: I worked out a deal with a gym. Free membership to my officers, in exchange for the fact that my staff will frequent their establishment, which without provocation provides security while they are there excersing, just being there. Also, I provided a framed case with an ingraved plate and our department patch, that they get to hand on their wall for current and new customers to see, stating that this gym supports a safe community in cooperation with our department.
                  Beware this pitfall! If you create an expectation of security with the gym, you open yourself up to liability claims that the gym has made an oral contract for security services with your firm, with free membership as renumeration.

I have seen this happen with companies and gas stations. The gas station gives them free food, and the employees start performing guard or protection services because no one told them better. They would arrive at a certain time, yell vagrants to leave, and then grab some free soda.

They have entered into an oral contract which may be enforcable. They have created a "hightened standard of care," which becomes a "duty of care" when they keep doing it.

If the "client" believes that they give you something of worth for doing a service, you have just created a new customer which doesn't pay by traditional means. And if you fail to provide those services, they can and in some cases will take you to court and seek damages.

When something of value is given, make sure that its actually free. Sometimes, it isn't.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Beware this pitfall! If you create an expectation of security with the gym, you open yourself up to liability claims that the gym has made an oral contract for security services with your firm, with free membership as renumeration.

I have seen this happen with companies and gas stations. The gas station gives them free food, and the employees start performing guard or protection services because no one told them better. They would arrive at a certain time, yell vagrants to leave, and then grab some free soda.

They have entered into an oral contract which may be enforcable. They have created a "hightened standard of care," which becomes a "duty of care" when they keep doing it.

If the "client" believes that they give you something of worth for doing a service, you have just created a new customer which doesn't pay by traditional means. And if you fail to provide those services, they can and in some cases will take you to court and seek damages.

When something of value is given, make sure that its actually free. Sometimes, it isn't.
                    Well said Nathan. There is an often unspoken quid pro quo. The law may cite you for malfeasance in the acceptance of continued "payment" you envisioned as gratuities.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

Comment

Not to mention you probably aren't wearing a duty belt when you're exercising, are you?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X