Observing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observing.

It is 0031 (1231 A.M.) and now officially Columbus Day Observed . Hey! Thats what is says right here on the calender, October 9, Columbus Day Observed. So I'm observing . Matter per fact most Gummit folks have a four day observation. Meaning its a four day weekend for most. Not for me.

I been out here in the middle of these Ranges for three 12 hour nights. Lotsa boring moments. But I have discovered "the laptop computer". Wife got me one and it has given me something to do when things get boring. I'm sitting here in this vehicle with the laptop and communicating with the world.

Amazing. Fellow in the tower talked to me about laptop, WIFI, cetra, the other night. Told me he would leave a certain 'router' on at the tower for the weekend for my use. Then he loaned me this little Hawking antenna. Amazing. The tower router somehow works thru some repeater antennas of some sort (don't ask me, I have no idea of how) and I can be 8 to 10 miles from the tower and still get online. Amazing. I get WIFI access at the tower and then dial up our SP and ZAP....I'm online.

Daughter showed me that I can watch real movies with this laptop. I'm burned out on movies for a while.

During one boring moment I contacted......well, a certain computer on base and ordered a pizza. Dxxx. Those desk sargeants have no sense of humor.

Its pretty chilly and breezy out here tonight. A full bright moon. I can see the glow of headlights way off in the distance but no one has bothered to drive into the restricted areas. So, I've had no outside company. Maybe thats becuase the Range Gates are closed and locked? I've seen the glow of inter-coastal water-way tug boat search lights several times so those fellas are working the weekend also.

Thats whats happening with GCSO Armed Range Security tonight. Ya'll sleep well. I'll be out here untill 5 A.M.

You have to dial in to your service provider? Does that modem say anything about "Sprint" or "Verizon?" It soundsl ike you have a cell modem, actually, and are basically using a cellular telephone like your dialup modem.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      You have to dial in to your service provider? Does that modem say anything about "Sprint" or "Verizon?" It soundsl ike you have a cell modem, actually, and are basically using a cellular telephone like your dialup modem.
      Well, no. That is probably incorrect terminology. I have a Dell laptop that has WIFI. Tower guy said to plug in the portable wifi antenna while out a ways and try it out. Had to install the portable antenna software (?) in my Dell in order to use it. He also showed me Network Stumbler and went on line and installed that.

So, what I do is turn on the laptop, find the wireless connection and connect to it. Then a little box comes up where I click to get on our service provider at the house.

Thats about the only way I can explain it cuase I'm puter illiterate.

One fella I work with time to time does as you commented. He plugs his celphone into his laptop and dials up a number and gets online that way. But then he is a "puter freak" and knows all kinds of stuff about these things.

Sorry if I was misleading NA. Just don't know the terminology.

Comment

Oh, OK, I see what you're doing now. Do you have DSL at home? I'm guessing the box is a PPPoE box, or its an AOL login box.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Shhh Nathan, your using big words and fancy alphabets again

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            Oh, OK, I see what you're doing now. Do you have DSL at home? I'm guessing the box is a PPPoE box, or its an AOL login box.
            Aw-rite Nathan. Your gonna make this a real long thread because your gonna have to explain the questions. Really, about all I know about this set-up is what I've said so far. Hey, it took a week to memorize where the on-off switch is and remember to open the lid to turn it on. Sorry, but I can't carry on an intellegent conversation about computers. I was just excited about learning what I have over the past week end. Communicating and watching movies while out in the middle of nowhere is new to me. The daughter, wife and Tower Man (Electronic/Computer whiz at the com tower) set all this up. I just follow thier written instructions.

One thing I did notice and need to inquire of Tower Man, when I decide to go off line and shut down the laptop I get this "Someone else is using this computer. Are you sure you want to disconnect?" Sorta has me concerned I'm being spied on.

Geeze. Are we off topic here? Or what?

Steve C.

Comment

Yo, Nathan.

Are you gonna wish me happy Columbus Day Observed? And thank me for staying out in the cold all night assisting others protecting you and our nations safety?

Sorry, Nathan. Couldn't resist. LOL

Comment

Happy Columbus Day, and to my fellow Canadians, Happy Thanksgiving.
                Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                  Happy Columbus Day, and to my fellow Canadians, Happy Thanksgiving.
                  Happy Thanksgiving Eric.

Comment

Originally posted by mh892
                    Happy Thanksgiving Eric.
                    Thanks, I was in central and south Florida last month, it is set up well for tourists and had a great time.
                    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                      Thanks, I was in central and south Florida last month, it is set up well for tourists and had a great time.
                      Glad you enjoyed yourself. I am up in the panhandle between Pensacola and Panama City. Where we know how to count votes. Sorry, local humor.

Comment

Happy Columbus Day to the Americans on the forum & Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians! Hope you get your fill of turkey today. (Unfortunately for me it's a regular work day just at double time )
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Maybe...

The thing about "Someone else is using your computer, do you wish to logoff" means that someone has connected to your PC over the LAN (The WiFi thing) and has either 1) Logged in (Windows XP won't allow this, since its only licensed to support 1 user on at a time), or 2) accessing "shared" files.

When you're online next time, hit the following three keys together:
                          Control + Alt + Delete

A program called "Windows Task Manager" will come up. It will stay in front of every other window (it is "system modial"), and it will show you a lot of crap about what Windows is doing.

Click the last tab marked "Users." This will show you every user currently connected to your computer. If you see someone other than the name you click when you start the PC (At the "Welcome" screen), then someone is logged in on your PC. You can Send them a Message, or hit "logoff" to log them off.

Comment

Columbus Day? How many paid holidays do you get in the US? Are they nation wide or does each state have their own?

In Quebec we get the following:

- New Years Day
                            - Good Friday or Easter Monday (we used to get both)
                            - Victoria Day (now called Patriots Day in Quebec)
                            - La Fête Nationale
                            - Canada Day
                            - Labour Day
                            - Christmas

- Boxing Day (December 26) This is no longer an official holiday but so far we still get it. (Shhh.. don’t tell the owner)

- We used to get the day of the anniversary that we started working at the hotel. This was cut in the early 90s.
                            - We also used to get our birthday. This was also cut in the early 90s.
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X