Age Discrimination???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Discrimination???

I work for a company in the midwest at a small private college. I am 63 years young and have 20 yrs military, 12 yrs corrections officer and about 9 years private security experience. When the company decided on a site supervisor, they went with a young college student who has little experience. This supervisor told me that he suggested that I should take over the site when he leaves ( he will graduate from college next June with an Admin Justice degree) He was told in so many words that I was too old to be a site supervisor. How should I handle this? During our site orientation, I also overheard a branch management person ask the client if their was any problem with "the old guy" working at the site. I enjoy the job and am perfectly happy with my fellow officers and the client, but I would like it if I were at least considered for the site supervisor position next year. Any one got any ideas?
    Murphy was an optomist.

I want to make sure I dont loose this. When I get bck from work, I will post some cool ideas. I understand your dilema!
    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

You already work at the college, can you have a conversation (confidential)with the contact there? see what they want, if they have a preference?

I would prefer someone with many different exp. that will be around for 2 years or so compared with someone without the exp. and may only be there for a year.

Is there a mix of age groups to supervise?
      Is your health up to it? your record with the company in good shape?
      I mean no disrespect, only trying to get both sides.
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

You should work closely with your site supervisor; use your experience to assist him with his growing knowledge and experience. Just remember just because he doesn’t have the years of experience doesn’t mean he doesn’t have great knowledge and potential. He may be able to give you great perspective as well. With your team working together and bouncing ideas of one another could make your security department very successful. Hopefully the person doing the hiring will notice next year. Good luck!

Comment

The client cannot be queried if they have a perference for "an old guy." This is classic age discrimination. They can be queried, "Do you have any specific physical fitness requirements for this post." They can be queried, "Do you have any specific training for this post." They can even be queried, "Do you have any specific experience requirements for this post."

But asking, "Do you have a problem with the old guy working here" is illegal. You have the grounds for an EEOC case against the employer for violating your civil rights - but only if you can prove the conversation took place.

As to the supervisor position, the EEOC requires that make promotion/demotion/counseling decisions based on factors of "right for the job," not age or any other protected status. If the EEOC decides that you were better qualified for the position, and your age was the deciding factor, then you have a case. However, most companies do not keep the suggested paperwork to avoid such decisions.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Thanks guys, I will continue to do as I have been doing. That is helping my supervisor when he runs into things that only experience can let one know how to handle things. Those of us that are assigned here have a very good working relationship and we tend to complement each other, so it ia a fun place to work, even though we work a lot more on our jobs here then say an industrial post does. This site requires that you be able to think on your feet, which not everyone is able to do, but all of the assigned officers seem to have that ability.
            Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
              Thanks guys, I will continue to do as I have been doing. That is helping my supervisor when he runs into things that only experience can let one know how to handle things. Those of us that are assigned here have a very good working relationship and we tend to complement each other, so it ia a fun place to work, even though we work a lot more on our jobs here then say an industrial post does. This site requires that you be able to think on your feet, which not everyone is able to do, but all of the assigned officers seem to have that ability.
              jeff194307:
              At our local Wal-Mart we have two retired Marine Corps gentlemen who work as "greeters," one a mustang major the other a gunny. We had somewhile back a group of toughs who thought they could steal merchandise and run past some employees and these two greeters. They managed to knock down or push aside three young muscular men, one of whom was a security person and a woman. The greeters witnessed this and when the toughs tried to run past them they paused to express their disdain at the "geezers." Within seconds three of the four were on the ground. One tough got his first flying lesson albeit short with a crash landing. The fourth ran into two newly minted county police officers.
              In this instance, age and cunning prevailed.
              The Retired Marines, after giving statements to the police, looked at each other, grinned and in unison said, "Wasn't that was fun, just like the old days."
              The young officers smiled in appreciation and the witnesses started to clap.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill, AF15556595. How's that for age and memory?

Comment

Like N.A. Corbier said you do have a legitimate EEOC claim. The company is in violation of Title V11 of the Civil Right's Act of 1964. The EEOC is a federal agency. Depending on what state you are in you also could take the matter to a State authority. I live in CA and we have some of the toughest discrimination laws in the country.

I disagree that you should continue to work and hope that you get the position. The company needs to be shown that what they have done is illegal and cannot be accepted. If not they will keep treating people in this unethical way.
                Find local security jobs at www.securityemploymentservices.com

Comment

I thought that I might have a claim. I will keep working until the supervisor graduates, I have 300 days in this state to file a claim.
                  Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Nonsense

My site-supervisor is your age, and so are many of the "brass" at the local PD. Your current site-supervisor should speak to the powers that be again and convince them that they are making a mistake due to the vast experience that you bring to the table. I would hire you in a heartbeat. Save the legal maneuvering as a last resort. It's costly, and even if you win, the working environment will be hostile.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                      My site-supervisor is your age, and so are many of the "brass" at the local PD. Your current site-supervisor should speak to the powers that be again and convince them that they are making a mistake due to the vast experience that you bring to the table. I would hire you in a heartbeat. Save the legal maneuvering as a last resort. It's costly, and even if you win, the working environment will be hostile.
                      Mr. Security:
                      In many instances, some of these companies tend to go for the inexperienced in that the experienced would know where to look and perhaps find something that neither the company or the client would like to see light of day.
                      The inexperienced also don't push the "envelope" because they don't know where it is. Many clients purposefully have the companies write ambiguous orders so the client can have it both ways, after all the security person is a most expendable commodity.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                        Mr. Security:
                        In many instances, some of these companies tend to go for the inexperienced in that the experienced would know where to look and perhaps find something that neither the company or the client would like to see light of day.
                        The inexperienced also don't push the "envelope" because they don't know where it is. Many clients purposefully have the companies write ambiguous orders so the client can have it both ways, after all the security person is a most expendable commodity.
                        Enjoy the day,
                        Bill
                        I believe it. The only good thing about not being hired at one of those companies is that you wouldn't want to work there anyhow under those circumstances. ("you" meaning someone who actually cares)
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                          I believe it. The only good thing about not being hired at one of those companies is that you wouldn't want to work there anyhow under those circumstances. ("you" meaning someone who actually cares)
                          Mr. Security that is exactly my point. I had an experience after having written up a government agency supervising a guard contract. At my out briefing the other government agency, not Justice, representative excoriated me for having written up such a finding. He ended up his tirade by asking, "What lunatic asked you to do that?"
                          From the group of the assembled, came a lone voice, "I did!"
                          Without looking carefully at the person making that statement, said, "And just who the hell are you?"
                          "I am the chief judge of ------, that's who I am."
                          There was no response. Later I was told the judge and the other man had a heart-to-heart talk. The respondent was quoted as saying, "Nobody has ever looked that closely at the special orders before, why did he?"
                          "Because I asked his boss to send him," was the response.
                          Fun was had by all!
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
                            Jeff,

I think you have received great advise from the forum. Although I'm not an attorney, I believe you have a strong case with the EEOC. The question is, I guess, how do you want to spend the rest of your career? In a legal dispute, or doing what you love. I say that as a guy only about five years behind you.

You can make a positive contribution every day of the week. I know you enjoy that, and well you should. You have worked hard to get to this point and most around you recognize your wisdom even though they may not express it. What comes to you as a natural reaction, takes brain wrenching time on their part.

I can't advise you because you because I don't walk in your shoes. However, imagining myself in the scenerio you described, I would continue to do my best and relish the ride home every day as I reflected on how I helped the client/company/organization without even having to think about it!!

I would not let the ignorance of a few negate that which you have worked hard for over many years. That is yours, don't let let them take that from you. Good luck, my friend.
                            Richard Dickinson
                            Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                            DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                            www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Thank you Mr. Dickerson. I am doing exactlely what you said, but if these so called management people place another inexperienced person ahead of me when my present supervisor quits next June, I believe that will be the straw that broke the camel's back. If that should happen, I will file on them. State law gives me 300 days to decide, and June 1st is well within the limit. I have every statement documented and will proceed if needed even though I don't really want to.
                              Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X